International schools in India

abhishek77

I understand that international schools are popular among expat communities but why is this not on the priority for residents living with a certain town or city knowing how seriously Indians take education?

However some International schools have fees at around Rs.9 lakh per year while others are at the 3 or 4 lakh range. Even paying for a kid at kindergarten costs 9 lakh rupees in some of the schools. What makes it so special? I mean how can it be justified.

abhishek77

I am still looking for answers if anyone has experience of International schools.
Here in England, there are both state schools and private schools. Private school fees within Birmingham area can cost from £5000 to £12000 per year whereas state schools cost nothing but still the education can be rated as from good to outstanding in most schools. At this time what i would like to understand if are there any major differences in the style of education if comparing IB primary year program to the ICSE primary level from class 1 to class 5?

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
This seems to be a question that is quite different from what you had asked earlier!
And you did not mention that you were asking about schools in Britain!

Still, my advice would be to stick with the state schools. However, without knowing your socio-economic position and what you are hoping to achieve for your son it is not possible to correctly answer for your context.

abhishek77

Currently she is going to a school in Engalnd and we are planning to relocate to India later this year by August.
I am not asking about schools in Britain but asking about schools in India mainly whether going to an international school is worth it upto standard 5?

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Abhishek, you'd consider an International school here only if you were planning to again move abroad after a few years, ie before she completes her schooling.

abhishek77

My plan is to initially enroll her into a school with ICSE curriculum upto standard 5 after which I plan to enroll her into an international school which runs the Cambridge curriculum. The purpose of enrolling her into an international school is which she wants to pursue higher studies at University level in the UK after a-levels, then she can come back. The secondary style of teaching i feel in international schools will prepare them well for university based education but then that depends on what she plans to do.
I am considering making a move to Bangalore and come across some good ICSE schools such as Greenwood High and Valley school.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
University level is never difficult for Indian students that have been through the rigours of any of the Indian school systems.

Reactions: cat

foadbear

Pirates Skulls and Bones
My niece was schooled in UK, for two years and then she came back to Bangalore. She is enrolled in VIBGYOR. ICSE based school.

Some of her classmates have been schooled for a longer time duration abroad and still can't spell a five letter word.

Whereas she has been one of the finalist in MARS spell bee, held this year in BITS goa campus.

The point is, Indian schooling system is quote rigorous and if you can excel here, you can do good abroad.

That's what I have seen and felt.

P.S. my sister in law lives in Dubai and her daughter goes to CBSE affiliated school there. Inspire of having international schools there.

Reactions: cat

Theloststory

International schools charge so much only because of the status symbol involved in the word “international”. They still haven’t prpvend themselves academically. Just find the best academically performing schools and you will realise their fees are quite modest.