ipod- some help

kprixie

friends....i have an ipod but am not too happy with the quality of the sound. some songs just don't sound that clear and groovy as it does on my car system. just a few q's-
if i buy better quality earphones then will the music quality improve...in terms of clarity etc.
when i download music from various sites...are there any particular sites from which music quality is better?

ps excuse if q's are bit silly but i am not so comp savvy and would like some tips/ help to improve on my skills in downloading etc. so ps keep it simple as i am not too familiar with basics as i am a newbie.:)

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kprixie, first confirm the quality of the files on your iPod. You can do this by playing the same files over your car stereo or through your home stereo.
Assuming that the files are OK the next big thing is the headphones - these will make a major difference.

The quality of files that you download via file-sharing sites like Ares/Limewire etc... is highly variable since these are being downloaded from various peoples' private collections. It's always good to reject some of the downloads that simply do not meet your quality requirements.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
These days it simply does not makes any sense to listen to mp3s which are less 192kbps, I personally prefer 320CBR, but also don't mind 320VBR. These files normally come out to be 8-12mb for a normal song.

akshay4384

THE LONE RIDER
How old is your Ipod?
Ipod earphones are known to be notorious,as in they go bad pretty soon and start sounding like a radio.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem is that there is far too much music floating around that has been repeatedly re-converted and re-sampled!
An mp3 file at 320 kbps sampling rate can be quite awful too (I have many such, downloaded via p2p); depends on how it was created!
An mp3 file created directly from an audio CD will sound very good even if sampled at 128 kbps!

There are actually many people who have created 320 kbps files from 128 kbps mp3 source files! :shock:

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Completely agree, all the mp3s I create from my audio CD collection sound way batter than majority of stuff which is available out there. However file size usually is a good indicator, if you have no way of sampling.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
... However file size usually is a good indicator, if you have no way of sampling.
File size is a good indicator but not foolproof, as I said earlier.
I have many mp3 files sampled at 320 kbps and which are unbearable in quality, some even recorded off cheap radios via a microphone! Like the notorious 'camera prints' for video!

Almost all file sharing software allows setting minimum and/or maximum bitrates that you are willing to accept and present the search results accordingly.

kprixie

friends.......i have no idea what a kbp is or a file size...:(:confused:
i just download songs from the net per se. i was not even aware of things like file size etc. but had a feeling i was missing something and could improve on it.
very sorry..but only thing i have comprehended so far is that headphones do make a diff on sound quality. so which headphones are the best? should i buy a bose?
how do i see file size when i am downloading songs?
which sites do u all recommend is safe and from where good quality songs can be downloaded?
i know most of u guys are pros at it but i am a total newbie who has just about started getting the hang of comp. so ps be patient.
i have a ipod nano which is hardly a year old.