Iran- Amazing History, Culture, Food, People, Landscapes

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kamcoolin, all I can say is that this is exceptional stuff! :cool:
Thank you so much for sharing it here.
I really wish I could understand better what made you undertake this trip.
Hats off!

kprixie

Thanks so much for giving us a wonderful inside look into a beautiful county. we have quite a few Iranians staying in Chandigarh now. i have been to few ports in Iran but never got a chance to go ashore. thanks for such a detailed, informative log. ps do give some details on how to get to stay with local family. i feel its the best way to exxperience the place and culture via local interaction. absolutely amazing!!!!

Kamcoolin

superb update.

What makes this travelogue so special is there are very few reports from Iran. The influence of Iran over India, both by way of the rulers who originally came from Iran (Persia, as it was called) and the cultural influences like Urdu, Biriyani/Pulao are immense. Also imagine what India would have been without the Parsees, who originally came from Iran! Despite such deep influences on Indian history, economy, culture, language and food, we seldom have people visiting Iran. This log comes as a refreshing new breath of air. And with excellent photographs to boot! The way the price of each ticket and cost of almost everything is mentioned also make this very interesting. Makes it easy for one to relate to cost of living in India.

Your report is actually giving me ideas! Let me seriously develop those and may be, sooner than later ... !
Will be happy if more people visit Iran.
I was the lone tourist on the flight both ways :(, no one goes there as a tourist.

absolutely awesome ! im loving it !
this is the first read for me about Iran.. always thought it was a really closed country... but you are proving it wrong..
will be on the to do for me now..
Thanks.
Will be very happy, when you visit :)

Agree with everything !! This log is special!!

Fantastic!! Have you got photos of day to day activities in Iran? Which gives a glimpse of the daily life there?

Keep going...!!
Daily activities like ?....
If i dont have any pics, i'll explain.

Kamcoolin, all I can say is that this is exceptional stuff! :cool:
Thank you so much for sharing it here.
I really wish I could understand better what made you undertake this trip.
Hats off!
I already gave the reasons on the first post.

Thanks so much for giving us a wonderful inside look into a beautiful county. we have quite a few Iranians staying in Chandigarh now. i have been to few ports in Iran but never got a chance to go ashore. thanks for such a detailed, informative log. ps do give some details on how to get to stay with local family. i feel its the best way to exxperience the place and culture via local interaction. absolutely amazing!!!!
You can interact with local people easily, they are quite friendly as they see very few tourists so its also very exciting for them to meet outsiders. For staying with local family you can try couchsurfing.

Kamcoolin

City report 2 - Kashan

Kashan is at a distance of about 250km from Tehran on the way to Isfahan. Initially i planned to visit Qom because of its religious importance, however changed it at the last moment and decided to visit Kashan instead of Qom as it has more places of interest.

Next day in the morning, i left for Kashan from Tehran. There are different bus terminals for different directions from Tehran, you have the south terminal, west terminal.
Taxi from Darwaza Dolat to South Terminal - 10000 toman
The buses are mostly run by private operators, the buses are very good. All are Air conditioned. The buses are of two types-VIP and Normal buses, the difference in fare is not much between the two. VIP seats are very good, there are only 3 seats in a row and the normal ones have 4 seats in a row. The average speed of buses is 110kmph. The roads are very good in Iran hence main mode of travel is Bus, in fact train travel is less and many cities are not connected by train. In some cases trains take more time than buses to reach. However one thing i didn't like about buses is there are too many police checkposts on the highway, buses have to stop at almost every 100 kms to show documents to police and get some entries done, its mandatory. In most buses, you will be served with a small packet of biscuits, muffin and a juice. Water is already there in the bus. I left Tehran at 9:30am and reached Kashan by 12:30pm. I met a 60 year old Iranian lady on the bus, got very inspired by her. She left Iran after the revolution and emigrated to Sweden. The inspirational part was she travelled a lot. Infact she travelled in more than 100 countries and most of them are solo trips. Her recent trip was to the Arctic ;). She came to back Iran after a long time for a wedding. She was not allowed to sit in the front seat, as its not allowed for women to sit in front seats of buses. After getting down in Kashan she helped me in getting to my hotel.

VIP Bus ticket to Kashan - 7000 toman
Taxi from Kashan bus stand to Hotel - 4000 toman
A typical bus booking counter.

The highway

I cheked in to Ehsan Traditional hotel at the recommendation of a local CS friend. It is in the center of the city, close to the historical houses and Aga Bozorg mosque.
Single room with 2 beds (Wifi, Breakfast included) - 50000 toman.
It also has dormitories and bigger rooms.
Some pics of the hotel -

The Room -

Afterwards i went to the Abbasian Traditional House for lunch.
Lunch cost - 18000 toman
In general, the seating in restaurants is like this. People sit on these tables and eat.

Food is served on a small cloth like this

After lunch i visited the Abbasian Traditional house, its a typical Kashani architectural house. It was built in the 1700's, now its converted into a museum. The architecture of the houses helps in cooling the houses in summer and keeping them warm in winters.
Ticket - 10000 toman

You see this everywhere....Hijab is mandatory for women, everyone has to wear it. Without that women cannot come outside of their homes.

Then i went to see the Fin Garden, it is quite famous. The garden has a hammam inside where Amir Kabir, the famous prime minister of Iran was murdered. The main attraction however is the Char bagh, its typical a 4 boxed garden with water running in the center. This kind of garden is followed all across middle east and you can see the same kind in Kashmir, even in the Rashtrapathi Bhawan. There is a small ice cream shop inside, its famous with the locals.
Taxi to Garden - 7000 toman
Ticket to the Garden - 500 toman (my local CS friend took the ticket for me, so i was charged like a iranian ;), generally it would be 10000 toman)
There is a museum inside, you have to buy another ticket for that. So even for this my local friend took the ticket for me as a Iranian, however as we were talking in English the security guard realised that i'm a tourist and asked us to pay the full amount. But after knowing that i'm from India, he was happy, he talked about some Indian movies and didn't ask for the money.

Local Ice cream -

This might look simple, but its a engineering marvel. The water is kept at the same level by pumping water from some holes and releasing water from some holes. The water is pumped and released using gravity from a hill upside.

A local girls school teacher with her students.

Then i went to Sialk Hill from there. Its a ziggurat, basically a place for people settlement. Quite old, this one was more than 10000 years old.
Taxi to Sialk hill - 6000 toman
Entry ticket - 10000 toman

A 10000 year old skeleton found there...

A group of school students from Tehran

Went to Kashan Bazaar afterwards. Looked around for sometime, went to a Coffee shop.
Shared Taxi - 6000 toman
Hookah & Tea - 21000 toman

Tea

Went near to Fin Garden for dinner to eat at a road side Dhaba kind of place.
Dinner - 21000 toman

Next day, had breakfast at the hotel.

Typical Iranian breakfast

Visited the Aga Bozorg mosque, its near to the hotel. There's a madarassa inside the mosque. No entry fee.

Visited the Aga Khan bathhouse later, it was good.
Entry ticket - 10000 toman

Top of the bathhouse

Kashan is famous for Rosewater, its manufactured in a nearby village.
Two 1 Lit bottles of Rosewater - 14000 toman

City center of Kashan

Checked out from the hotel and left for Isfahan in the afternoon.

kprixie

Wow!!!....loving it. i adore the seating arrangements to eat. love the no table concept. reminds me of Kolkata. the traditional house, architecture is beautiful.

Fantastic!!

What I meant in my last post is, photos showing the local people going about doing their casual activities, day to day jobs :)

EnglishAugust

a disguised dancer
Fascinating. This is a bird's eye view of a country few of us have visited. I have an Iranian friend who lives in Germany. She has asked me to go to her country with her. Now I really want to do it ! It is true that the idea of head-covering is offputting for me, but other than that, and knowing where to sit on the bus (!), what other tips should women travellers keep in mind? We would be four of us (two couples, multi-national but all of us living in Europe).

My friend just pinged me to say that elections have taken place today in Iran. :D