Issue with tour company in Ladakh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joy S

***** FRAUD ALERT: FOOTPRINTS ADVENTURE TOURING COMPANY IN LEH*****

I had signed up with Footprints Adventure for 6 nights 7 days Zanskar Excursion including sight-seeing in Zanskar. I paid the entire amount of trip in full before the commencement of the trip.Note that this outfit is manned by persons named Paddy and Namgyal.

After about a day into the trip, their driver informed me my trip was for 5 nights 6 days. I was shocked to learn that but I thought it might have been an honest mistake on their part. It took 'em 3 days to clarify that I was signed and paid for 6 nights 7 days. Footprints owner Namgyal did not show any resolve in clarifying the matter with his team or the driver of my car. Driver of my car was reluctant to clarify as he was paid for only 5 nights by Footprints Adventure. Tensions prevailed for 3 days thus ruining my Zanskar trip! It is only after Internet Cafe owner in Padum named Mumtaz intervened is when this issue was sorted out.

Then came the sight seeing part. Footprints driver made all sort of excuses for not taking me on sight seeing . First he said , he wasn't paid for taking us around for sight seeing. On the other occasion he said he over slept, and therefore could on take us on sight seeing. On the third occasion, he said the car did not have enough fuel and therefore cannot take us for sight seeing.

Then there were all the other issues which made my trip stressful and miserable. Not only did I not enjoy the Zanskar trip but also I ended up losing money. I paid Footprints Adventure 40% above the market price.

My experience with Footprints Adventure leads me to believe they are running the operation that is bordering on fraud. Whatever you do , do not pay Footprints Adventure in advance. The common practice in Leh is to pay after the trip! We learned this in a hard way!

Above all avoid Footprints Adventure or any such touring Company at all cost!!! I was signed up with Footprints for the 2nd leg of my trip.Thankfully payment for the second leg did not go through!!!

Best is to go into Leh; while acclimatizing go to taxi stand and talk and negotiate directly with those drivers. They are helpful bunch! I took one such ride for the second leg of my trip :- Leh -> Nubra -> Pangong -> Hanle -> Tso Moriri -> LEh.

Happy getting Leh'd!

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Taxi from Kargil union cannot do sightseeing in Zanskar Valley, for that you need taxi from Padum union. As far as I know, Padum union cannot pickup passengers from Kargil, though I could be mistaken.

Joy S

Taxi from Kargil union cannot do sightseeing in Zanskar Valley, for that you need taxi from Padum union. As far as I know, Padum union cannot pickup passengers from Kargil, though I could be mistaken.
I think you are confusing. There is no Padum Union! There is Leh Taxi Union, Kargil Taxi Union and Srinagar Taxi Union.

At the moment only Kargil Taxi Union can pick up the tourists from Leh and take 'em around in Zanskar region. I am 100% sure about it. However this scenario will most definitely change once the Chilling to Padum road becomes operational.

Joy S

Right, I guess we better let the folks at Padum Union know, that they do not have a union https://www.bcmtouring.com/forums/threads/padum-taxi-union-rates-2011-12.35125/.
That is 2011-12 rates. It may be existing then. There was a major reorganization of taxi unions last year. Perhaps Padum might have merged with Kargil? I can tell you for sure, as I am just returning from Ladakh 2 days back, there was no mention of PAdum taxi Union! My driver, who is a member of Leh Taxi Union, told me there are only 3 taxi unions- Leh, Kargil and Srinagar!

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Most of the Ladakhi drivers have never been to Zanskar. If you don't believe me, call the Kargil union tomorrow and check if they will take you to Zangla etc. in Zanskar. If they can't, then that means your driver could have never taken you sightseeing in Zanskar Valley. This makes sense, since he gave you excuses after excuses.

Rest you're free to believe what you want. I have been traveling to Ladakh since 2005 and would be going there next week for my 9th trip. I haven't yet heard of Padum union being disolved.

In any case, I will talk to my guys in Leh, once I go there.

Joy S

Most of the Ladakhi drivers have never been to Zanskar. If you don't believe me, call the Kargil union tomorrow and check if they will take you to Zangla etc. in Zanskar. If they can't, then that means your driver could have never taken you sightseeing in Zanskar Valley. This makes sense, since he gave you excuses after excuses.

Rest you're free to believe what you want. I have been traveling to Ladakh since 2005 and would be going there next week for my 9th trip. I haven't yet heard of Padum union being disolved.

In any case, I will talk to my guys in Leh, once I go there.
let me restart, I did 2 legs. first leg 6 nights 7 days Zanskar Valley with a taxi (number plate starts with JK7) and driver from KArgil Taxi Union. And yes Kargil taxi driver took me to Zangla, Stongdey, and Karsha. He also took me to Zongkul Monastery, which is close to Padum and enroute to rangdum from Padum. He took me to all these places only after I put up a strong fight. Apparently Footprints had underpaid the driver that is what he told me. He was to take me to Phugtal or close to Phugtal Monastery but he overslept that day. He was to take me to Sani Gompa but he said his car had limited fuel. He dropped me at Lamayuru for night stay, a guesthouse close to the monastery. He did not take me to Alchi, Likir and Mangyu because taxis with JK7 number plate are not permitted inside, only taxis with JK10 number plate are permitted here. Again I had to fight with Footprints to send a proper taxi so I can visit those places. Here again they promised me that the new driver would show me all those places. They turned around and told the driver just to take me to Alchi and drop me to Leh thereafter. When this new driver with taxi number starting with JK10 told me that, I paid him extra and asked him to show around Likir and Mangyu.

Second leg 5 nights 6 days Leh - Nubra - Pangong-Hanle-Tso Moriri - Hemis - LEh with a taxi (number plate starts with JK10) and driver from Leh Taxi Union.

You are correct in saying Leh taxi drivers will not take the tourist to Zanskar

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Padum has petrol pump and fuel is also available in black. If he indeed took you to all those places in Zanskar, he did it under pressure, since he isn't supposed to do that. Try and find Kargil union rate list, it won't have places in Zanskar listed for sightseeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.