It's here finally, Dominar 400 and Ownership Report

zma0101

soni varghese
Having completed the ladakh circuit recently, I have a mixed reaction for dominar . 70-30... 70 being positive. Saw many Himalayans, RE along the way. During my run I was with thanish ( dominar ) and we met 2-3 dominar owners, good to see the bike on that range

Now why 70% :-
1) The bike performed...it really did , gave a fab mileage, responded really well. While the RE were having trouble climbing up the off road conditions of Changla Pass, Dominar didn’t even cough once, didn’t choke and kept climbing. Whereas RE owners had to push the bike up the hill on 1st gear. And some of them even removed the Air filter from the cabinet to let more air pass on.

2) The parts used specially the plastic one didnt crack or break during the rigirous off road conditions. I have had bad experience with with my earlier bike ( karizma )

3) The ABS did it's work

4) Throttle response after the 3rd ECU reset was amazing and the bike was fun to ride

Why 30% negative :-

1) Need a much bigger capacity tank , at least 15 ltrs. It's really needed for any bike that is claimed to be a touring bike. Cant have this laibility tag of just 300kms run and then need a refill.

2) The build quality needs to be improved in the sense, the major incident that I had during the run at zozilla pass was – all the housing allen nuts of the rear brake came loose. And had a heart attack, I got a shock of my life – after I had crossed the beautiful and challenging z-pass. . a particular khat khat noise originated from my bike. I thought oh almighty lord why the engine head making the noise, I slowed down and the frequency reduced which meant it wasn’t the head making the sound. The next thought was must be the chain sprockets.. while on the move I leaned to the left side to hear it … but the sound wasn’t coming from chain side. The sound increased and I stopped before any major mishap could take place . 3-4 mins of rear wheel rotation I could not figure out what was making the sound. So took a break had a smoke and re checked the rear wheel and to my utter shock the ABS ring had a mark, and that was the exact sport where the wheel was also getting jammed. Closer inspection revealed that boss – One of The allen nut holding the disc brake came loose. And on my head I was wondering what if this nut would have come off during the z-pass ride I would have had a jammed rear wheel. So anyway, I had the tools to fix it and I fixed that 1 allen nut. Problem solved I thought.. Ahhhh haannn .. Not yet brother, While was doing the fixing I thought lets tighten up all other nut as well. . . and wow ALL THE ALLEN NUTS HOLDING THE DISC BRAKE CAME LOOSE. Now this spooked me totally.

WhatsApp Image 2017-09-01 at 14.58.09.jpeg

3) The air filter should have a easier access for riders who head out for longer road trip. It was my foolishness also. I should have bought a replacement filter. Next time will do that. Before heading to this trip I had changed the air filter and after about 2000 kms and a lot of dusty condition the air filter was in no condition of holding up another 1500 kms.. So in leh we cleaned up the filter. The change of filter was only possible in Srinagar.
WhatsApp Image 2017-09-01 at 15.02.50.jpeg

It isn't difficult for anyone to service this bike, its just that getting to the air filter cabinet take atleast 30-45 mins, and that a lot of time.

In our Hotel, we did our best to clean the filter and other parts of our bikes

WhatsApp Image 2017-09-01 at 15.02.50(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-09-01 at 15.02.51(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-09-01 at 15.02.51.jpeg

20170820_091506.jpg

In Leh I made good friends with Tashi, a service guy who has a good space with him to service RE's, So there I along with thanish started servicing our bikes before the next leg of our trip.

This was at Tashi bike service center in Leh,
WhatsApp Image 2017-09-01 at 15.02.50(2).jpeg

20170820_135158.jpg

Gaurav Chopra

zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it
This definitely is spooky-may times i have wondered why manufacturers do not use mild locking solution on bolts and nuts which do not facilitate regular servicing-but i'm surely gonna check these things on all three of my rides henceforth.

Reactions: IJS

zma0101

soni varghese
This definitely is spooky-may times i have wondered why manufacturers do not use mild locking solution on bolts and nuts which do not facilitate regular servicing-but i'm surely gonna check these things on all three of my rides henceforth.
Lucky for me i was carrying the locking paste, it came handy. And i was also carrying extra pair of gear pedal screws as well. but a seriously thought needs to be given as to why cant these basics elements of manufacturing cant be taken seriously. If a rider meets with an unfortunate accident due to a malfunction..or a manufacturing default... who take the responsibility??