Jain Veg Food in srinagar -Ladakh - manali

shweta chheda

WE are planning to visit ladakh in mid July - 2 couples 2 kids
n n our route is

Srinagar - kargil - leh- Diskit - Hunder - Turtuk- sumur- Pangong - tsomoriri - Jispa - sarchu- Manali

Pls help me with good VEG restaurants for this route with jain food available

Rohit Kothari

Super User
WE are planning to visit ladakh in mid July - 2 couples 2 kids
n n our route is

Srinagar - kargil - leh- Diskit - Hunder - Turtuk- sumur- Pangong - tsomoriri - Jispa - sarchu- Manali

Pls help me with good VEG restaurants for this route with jain food available
Shweta, you will in that case have to look for pure veg restaurants and ask them to provide Jain food (not sure if you would always find them).
Unless you are ok with same utensils being used for veg and non veg food.
You might find few options in big towns like Srinagar and Leh, in other areas this might be a problem.

Prasham

Armchair Traveller :(
Uptill now you had an option of.... Maggi but sadly now there's no such option.

For areas other than Srinagar & Leh take along ready to cook food packets of Sabzi, Pav Bhaji and similar stuff that is available readily. When I first went to Leh almost 7-8 years back I had taken similar packets and the Guest House owners were happy to help to prepare food out of such packets.

Rohit Kothari

Super User
Uptill now you had an option of.... Maggi but sadly now there's no such option.

For areas other than Srinagar & Leh take along ready to cook food packets of Sabzi, Pav Bhaji and similar stuff that is available readily. When I first went to Leh almost 7-8 years back I had taken similar packets and the Guest House owners were happy to help to prepare food out of such packets.
Most of the packed foods cannot be considered "Jain food". Jain food has to be free from onion/garlic/carrots/ginger/radish/potato, basically no roots.None of the packed food including Maggi can be considered "Jain food". Even condiments like ketchup have some garlic/onion contents and are not used for Jain food.
Being a Jain I know the issues as some of my relatives are strictly Jain.
I am on the completely opposite side and do not touch food which does not have onion/garlic :p :p

shweta chheda

Most of the packed foods cannot be considered "Jain food". Jain food has to be free from onion/garlic/carrots/ginger/radish/potato, basically no roots.None of the packed food including Maggi can be considered "Jain food". Even condiments like ketchup have some garlic/onion contents and are not used for Jain food.
Being a Jain I know the issues as some of my relatives are strictly Jain.
I am on the completely opposite side and do not touch food which does not have onion/garlic :p :p

Thanks a lot for your inputs
now i know...i have left with no options for jain...i m jain but i eat all vegetarian food...but other couple travelling with us eats only jain..

Rohit Kothari

Super User
Thanks a lot for your inputs
now i know...i have left with no options for jain...i m jain but i eat all vegetarian food...but other couple travelling with us eats only jain..
There can be one more problem here. Are the other couples flexible eating "Jain food" cooked in utensils that have been used to serve non-veg food before. If they are not, then there is deep trouble.

If it was a short trip I would have suggested carrying thepla/khakra and some other dry food which can be consumed as "Jain food". But this will be a long one and your options are very very limited. You cannot live on Khakra/thepla for more than a couple of days.

Also, you mentioned that you can eat all vegetarian. But, can you eat at places where both veg and non veg food is served ? There will be places where finding a pure veg place to eat will be difficult.

A viable option for you, in case you are driving yourself, would be to carry a portable cooking stove and some basic utensils and cook your own food.
Other thing that comes to my mind is try to find a package tour which caters "Jain food". I know there are some providers who do so for some international travels. Not sure if anyone does the same for Ladakh.
Also, if you find someone who provides one, confirm if the utensils are used exclusively for Veg food only, in case the couple travelling with you is a hard core jain.

Prasham

How many people will be travelling with you ? My cousin organizes Jain Trips to Kashmir multiple times a year with his own cook. If feasible he could extend his support to you.

shweta chheda

How many people will be travelling with you ? My cousin organizes Jain Trips to Kashmir multiple times a year with his own cook. If feasible he could extend his support to you.
yes... sure give me his contact ...will have a word with jain couple n then call him

Prasham

9324408369 - Abhay Shah
9594286900 / 8080871339 - Gautam Shah

Both are brothers but have their independent businesses. If one denies, do ask the other one.

Give him my reference, Prasham Kothari from Surendranagar.