Jammu - Srinagar - Leh (Ladakh) - Manali - Chandigarh on Yamaha RX-135

PrabhuG

13-Jul-2018 (Friday): Day 14 (Kallar to Chandigarh)

We woke up at around 5 AM. We had Tea and biscuit offered by the homestay hosts. Actually they had offered to prepare breakfast for us. We said no as we didn’t want to trouble them since we had planned to start towards Chandigarh early in the morning.

We took picture with their family and started at 6:30 AM. There was lot of truck traffic and roads were winding. We crossed Swaraghat and reached Kiratpur Sahib by 8:00 AM. We had breakfast – tea and variety of Paratha. It started raining but stopped after some time. We covered our luggage with plastic cover seeing at the cloud formation. We wore our raincoats too.

We started back after the breakfast at 9:10 AM. Reached Chandigarh 4 line way within a KM. The roads were good and we were travelling at good speed. The rains started again and didn’t stop until we reached Chandigarh. Rajaprabhu and Narasimha cruised ahead. Vinod and I were travelling at moderate speed.

We were at around 25 KMs to Chandigarh and I saw Vinod’s plastic covering for luggage had become loose. I told him about that and we stopped for correcting it. After tightening the thread, Vinod told me to go ahead and he will join. At the next junction there was a signal and I crossed it. I went ahead by around 5 KMs but could not see Vinod behind. I stopped on the service road and waited for 5 minutes but could not see him. I went ahead as there was no shelter there and water splashing was happening because of stagnant water and speedy vehicle movement. I went to a shelter and it was around 10:50 AM and I saw Vinod had called me but I could not receive the call as I didn’t hear the ring tone due to rain. I called him back but he didn’t receive the call. I called up Rajaprabhu and understood that all of us are meeting at Chandigarh railway station.

I continued towards Chandigarh and enquired the route to railway station to the traffic police managing traffic at the next major junction. He told me to continue and take a left near place called Landran. I further went ahead and realized that road is going to Delhi and took left to enter Chandigarh at Landran. Since it was raining, I could not open the phone for using google maps. I enquired people wherever I got the opportunity and somehow was misguided to Mohali railway station though I was asking about Chandigarh railway station !

I came out of Mohali railway station road and started again asking for the route towards Chandigarh railway station. Finally one guy showed me the right direction and enquired about my whereabouts. When I said Bangalore, he gave me his visiting card and asked me to visit him next time when I come to Chandigarh. He had stayed in Bangalore for a while and is working as Physiotherapist in Chandigarh now.

Finally I reached Chandigarh railway station at 12:30 PM and went straight to the parcel office. The rain had almost stopped by now. I could not see any of my friends and called them up. They had reached an hour before and had hired a room near railway station. Vinod somehow had enquired people and took outer ring road towards Chandigarh railway station at the first junction where I had come ahead.

I went to the hotel room and we had bath. There was delay in hot water availability due to some plumbing issue. We had some eatables and took some rest. Few of my cloths had become wet due to rain though I had covered the luggage with the plastic. I dried them up in the room and space available at the terrace of the hotel.

We went to Chandigarh railway station at 3 PM with our bikes for sending them to Yeshwanthpur. We had planned to send some luggage also along with bikes as a separate parcel so that we need not carry them to New Delhi. When we enquired in the parcel office, the answer was it would take time to send the bikes since there are already few bikes in queue. We spoke to the agent who does the packing of the bikes and he agreed to send the bikes in the next morning train. He charged some amount for packing and loading the bikes into the train. We negotiated and finally took our bikes to packing place which was around 300 meters away from the railway station.

We had removed the RVMs already. The packing people removed the petrol and started packing. Meanwhile they needed the insurance copy of bikes but Narasimha didn’t had it. He went to take the print and we asked him to get some cash too as the parcel office was not accepting the cards for booking the bikes. The supervisor of those packing guys filled the forms for us and insisted to put a board on the bikes with all details and we had to agree for it as it was mandatory. Bikes were packed and couple of our bags which had rain coat, gum boot, tools, plastic cover etc were also packed into a single gunny bag. We pushed our bikes to parcel office and it was almost 5:00 PM. There was a shift change and we had to wait for the next officials to take over for booking the parcel.

The booking was done finally at around 7:00 PM as the task of entering the details, receipt etc were manual. We had some sandwich and burger from railway canteen when we were waiting. The booking charges came to around INR 3000 for RX and 3500 for REs from Chandigarh to Yeshwanthpur.

One of my senior managers at office is from Chandigarh and he had offered me to visit his parents for breakfast/snack or even dinner at Chandigarh when I visit there. Even he had told me that I can stay in their house along with my friends as couple of rooms in his house are unoccupied. However we didn’t wanted to disturb them by going for dinner and staying out there but had decided to visit them for an hour. Since it was already 7:00 PM and booking of rest of the bikes was still in progress, others didn’t join. I took an auto from railway station to Panchkula sector 8. I purchased some juices and fruits in sector 8 market and walked down to their home. Spent an hour with them, had Juice, sweets and coffee. Came back to hotel by 9:00 PM and slept off as I was tired. I didn’t had dinner as I was not feeling that hungry since we had various eatables after 5:00 PM. My friends visited a restaurant in an auto for the dinner.

I had kept an alarm to get up at 1:00 AM. Three of us went to railway station by walk at 1:15 AM for ensuring that the bikes are loaded into the train and also we had to give half of packing charges to the agent. The train would start at 3:25 AM from Chandigarh.

When we went to the station, the train had arrived but our bikes were still on the platform. The guys who load the luggage into the train were sleeping around. We woke them up and helped them to push the bike towards the train which was on different platform. They made some rearrangements in the luggage and we ensured that all of our bikes are loaded. We gave the remaining amount and came back to hotel by 3:45 AM and slept off.

With this our bike ride came to an end with 2100 KMs of journey in 13 days. Next days plan is to reach New Delhi by evening and catch the flight to Bangalore.

Stay : Hotel at Chandigarh – Rent 900 per day per room – accommodates 2

Odo for the day : 138 – Start 15767 and End 15905

Overall Odo for the trip : 2107 KMs – Start 13798 and End 15905

PrabhuG

On the way to Kiratpur Sahib

434-IMG_2376.JPG

435-IMG_2377.JPG

436-IMG_2378.JPG

437-IMG_2379.JPG

At Kiratpur Sahib... breakfast stop

438-IMG_2380.JPG

Bhakra Nangal dam is about 30+ KMs from here

439-IMG_2381.JPG

440-IMG_2383.JPG

Gurudwara of Kiratpur Sahib visible from the breakfast point

441-P1270067.JPG

Thick clouds and we covered the luggage with plastic

442-P1270068.JPG

Nearby Rupnagar...it had already started driziling...

443-IMG_2385.JPG

444-IMG_2386.JPG

445-IMG_2387.JPG

Petrol being removed from the bike before packing...

446-IMG_20180713_161756.jpg

Packed bikes ready to be sent back to Bangalore...

447-IMG_20180713_170315.jpg

448-IMG_20180713_170552.jpg

Outside Chandigarh railway station

449-IMG_2390.JPG

Battery operated auto rickshaw in Chandigarh

450-IMG_2392.JPG

Our bikes are loaded in this luggage van

451-IMG_2395.JPG

Truly amazing detailed travelogue. Quite informative too. :sad:Slowly your trip coming to an end. The day when any road trip comes to an end I feel sad that good days have got over so fast.
The only solace in such trips is that we seed the plan for our next one.

Tilak Francis

13-Jul-2018 (Friday): Day 14 (Kallar to Chandigarh)

We woke up at around 5 AM. We had Tea and biscuit offered by the homestay hosts. Actually they had offered to prepare breakfast for us. We said no as we didn’t want to trouble them since we had planned to start towards Chandigarh early in the morning.

We took picture with their family and started at 6:30 AM. There was lot of truck traffic and roads were winding. We crossed Swaraghat and reached Kiratpur Sahib by 8:00 AM. We had breakfast – tea and variety of Paratha. It started raining but stopped after some time. We covered our luggage with plastic cover seeing at the cloud formation. We wore our raincoats too.

We started back after the breakfast at 9:10 AM. Reached Chandigarh 4 line way within a KM. The roads were good and we were travelling at good speed. The rains started again and didn’t stop until we reached Chandigarh. Rajaprabhu and Narasimha cruised ahead. Vinod and I were travelling at moderate speed.

We were at around 25 KMs to Chandigarh and I saw Vinod’s plastic covering for luggage had become loose. I told him about that and we stopped for correcting it. After tightening the thread, Vinod told me to go ahead and he will join. At the next junction there was a signal and I crossed it. I went ahead by around 5 KMs but could not see Vinod behind. I stopped on the service road and waited for 5 minutes but could not see him. I went ahead as there was no shelter there and water splashing was happening because of stagnant water and speedy vehicle movement. I went to a shelter and it was around 10:50 AM and I saw Vinod had called me but I could not receive the call as I didn’t hear the ring tone due to rain. I called him back but he didn’t receive the call. I called up Rajaprabhu and understood that all of us are meeting at Chandigarh railway station.

I continued towards Chandigarh and enquired the route to railway station to the traffic police managing traffic at the next major junction. He told me to continue and take a left near place called Landran. I further went ahead and realized that road is going to Delhi and took left to enter Chandigarh at Landran. Since it was raining, I could not open the phone for using google maps. I enquired people wherever I got the opportunity and somehow was misguided to Mohali railway station though I was asking about Chandigarh railway station !

I came out of Mohali railway station road and started again asking for the route towards Chandigarh railway station. Finally one guy showed me the right direction and enquired about my whereabouts. When I said Bangalore, he gave me his visiting card and asked me to visit him next time when I come to Chandigarh. He had stayed in Bangalore for a while and is working as Physiotherapist in Chandigarh now.

Finally I reached Chandigarh railway station at 12:30 PM and went straight to the parcel office. The rain had almost stopped by now. I could not see any of my friends and called them up. They had reached an hour before and had hired a room near railway station. Vinod somehow had enquired people and took outer ring road towards Chandigarh railway station at the first junction where I had come ahead.

I went to the hotel room and we had bath. There was delay in hot water availability due to some plumbing issue. We had some eatables and took some rest. Few of my cloths had become wet due to rain though I had covered the luggage with the plastic. I dried them up in the room and space available at the terrace of the hotel.

We went to Chandigarh railway station at 3 PM with our bikes for sending them to Yeshwanthpur. We had planned to send some luggage also along with bikes as a separate parcel so that we need not carry them to New Delhi. When we enquired in the parcel office, the answer was it would take time to send the bikes since there are already few bikes in queue. We spoke to the agent who does the packing of the bikes and he agreed to send the bikes in the next morning train. He charged some amount for packing and loading the bikes into the train. We negotiated and finally took our bikes to packing place which was around 300 meters away from the railway station.

We had removed the RVMs already. The packing people removed the petrol and started packing. Meanwhile they needed the insurance copy of bikes but Narasimha didn’t had it. He went to take the print and we asked him to get some cash too as the parcel office was not accepting the cards for booking the bikes. The supervisor of those packing guys filled the forms for us and insisted to put a board on the bikes with all details and we had to agree for it as it was mandatory. Bikes were packed and couple of our bags which had rain coat, gum boot, tools, plastic cover etc were also packed into a single gunny bag. We pushed our bikes to parcel office and it was almost 5:00 PM. There was a shift change and we had to wait for the next officials to take over for booking the parcel.

The booking was done finally at around 7:00 PM as the task of entering the details, receipt etc were manual. We had some sandwich and burger from railway canteen when we were waiting. The booking charges came to around INR 3000 for RX and 3500 for REs from Chandigarh to Yeshwanthpur.

One of my senior managers at office is from Chandigarh and he had offered me to visit his parents for breakfast/snack or even dinner at Chandigarh when I visit there. Even he had told me that I can stay in their house along with my friends as couple of rooms in his house are unoccupied. However we didn’t wanted to disturb them by going for dinner and staying out there but had decided to visit them for an hour. Since it was already 7:00 PM and booking of rest of the bikes was still in progress, others didn’t join. I took an auto from railway station to Panchkula sector 8. I purchased some juices and fruits in sector 8 market and walked down to their home. Spent an hour with them, had Juice, sweets and coffee. Came back to hotel by 9:00 PM and slept off as I was tired. I didn’t had dinner as I was not feeling that hungry since we had various eatables after 5:00 PM. My friends visited a restaurant in an auto for the dinner.

I had kept an alarm to get up at 1:00 AM. Three of us went to railway station by walk at 1:15 AM for ensuring that the bikes are loaded into the train and also we had to give half of packing charges to the agent. The train would start at 3:25 AM from Chandigarh.

When we went to the station, the train had arrived but our bikes were still on the platform. The guys who load the luggage into the train were sleeping around. We woke them up and helped them to push the bike towards the train which was on different platform. They made some rearrangements in the luggage and we ensured that all of our bikes are loaded. We gave the remaining amount and came back to hotel by 3:45 AM and slept off.

With this our bike ride came to an end with 2100 KMs of journey in 13 days. Next days plan is to reach New Delhi by evening and catch the flight to Bangalore.

Stay : Hotel at Chandigarh – Rent 900 per day per room – accommodates 2

Odo for the day : 138 – Start 15767 and End 15905

Overall Odo for the trip : 2107 KMs – Start 13798 and End 15905
Thoroughly enjoyed your travel Logue from the beginning. Your write up is inspiring us to travel and venture into unknown regions.