Jammu - Srinagar - Leh (Ladakh) - Manali - Chandigarh on Yamaha RX-135

PrabhuG

1-Jul-2018 (Sunday): Day 2 - (Jammu to Banihal)

We reached Jammu railway station by 6:30 AM and quickly unloaded our luggage's from the emergency window as the train was stopping for 5 minutes only. We moved all our luggage’s towards parcel office first, which was around 200 meters from the place we got down from the train. Couple of us went ahead and ensured that the bikes are also unloaded. We moved the bikes near our luggage area from the unloaded area ourselves by pushing them one by one. In hurry, we didn’t notice and moved somebody else’s bike too in the first round:). We got the bikes released after producing the booking receipt and got the gate pass to take the bikes out of the railway station.

Vinod with our unloaded bikes at Jammu railway station
(We took photo in railway station after taking permission from police standing there)

019-IMG_0552.JPG

020-IMG_20180701_064428.jpg

All of our luggage's to be loaded on our bikes

021-IMG_0554.JPG

We didn’t go in search of hotel rooms in Jammu city since the room was required only to finish the morning formalities and bath. We completed it in the bathroom / restroom in railway waiting room on rotation basis. Narasimha and I finished first followed by Vinod and Rajaprabhu. While coming back they had the breakfast and brought paratha parcel for us.

Paratha and curd we had in the railway station..quantity of curd served is very good

022-IMG_20180701_085322.jpg

We moved the bikes and luggage’s out of the railway station and removed the packing of the bikes first. Couple of parcel packing guys came and helped us to unpack. They actually came to collect the removed packing material and we gave it to them happily. Unfortunately they were fighting for the equal share of the removed packing material.

We inspected the bikes as we unpacked and luckily there were no damages to any of the bikes during this transit from Bangalore to Jammu. It might be because we personally monitored the loading of the bikes at Bangalore as well at New Delhi.

We needed petrol and we saw one native Jammu guy who had come on a two-wheeler to receive his friend. His friend also had parceled his bike to Jammu. We enquired that native guy about the petrol bunk and he asked me join him so that he can take me to the nearest petrol bunk.

I was ready with an empty can and sat as pillion with him. He took me to an Indian oil petrol bunk and I bought around 5 liters of petrol which costed INR 390. The native guy even dropped me back to the railway station. We thanked him for this nice gesture and exchanged our phone numbers. We invited him to visit us at Bangalore when he comes down.

Other mates were already fixing their luggage on the bikes by the time I brought the petrol. I too fixed the rear view mirror and loaded the luggage quickly. We filled 1 liter of petrol for each bike. We used a 1 liter oil can for that. I kept the remaining petrol for emergency and filled it later to my bike.

It was close to 10:15 AM when we were ready. We took few pictures of our bikes and self. Even noted our odometer readings and started our journey towards Srinagar highway. All the bikes started in one go without any trouble.

RX-135 ready for the journey

023-IMG_20180701_100733.jpg

RE's getting ready

024-IMG_20180701_100740.jpg

Distributing petrol

025-IMG_20180701_100904.jpg

We decided to skip Vaishnodevi visit as originally planned as weather was very hot and we thought that it would take at least a day to visit the temple and come back. Even we will get tired due to walking / trekking involved in visiting the temple and it would be difficult to ride the bikes next day. So we decided to skip visit to Vaishnodevi temple and cover as much distance as possible towards Srinagar. Our target for the day was to reach Anantnag and stay there.

We filled up our petrol tanks at next Indian oil petrol bunk where there was ATM and they were accepting the credit cards. We got the air pressure checked for the wheels. We withdrew money in the ATM at petrol station and handed over 5K each to Rajaprabhu who was going to be our treasurer. We drank and filled cold filtered drinking water available at that fuel station. I had one spare can of 5 liters and filled it too with the water. This was useful later where we used it for washing hands and face after travelling in dust filled roads towards Srinagar.

Meanwhile Rajaprabhu observed that one of his credit card is missing. He searched in all the bags and concluded that he lost it mostly when he booked the relaxation room at New Delhi railway station. He contacted the bank and asked them to block the card. The prepaid phones were not working as soon as we entered J&K state. Rajaprabhu and Vinod had bought postpaid BSNL sim especially for this trip and we started using those numbers for making and receiving the calls from our family. I had a postpaid Airtel phone but signal was not that great.

It was close to 11:00 AM now. We enquired about the way to Srinagar and rode towards Srinagar highway. Roads up to Udhampur bypass were excellent and we took 3-4 breaks to check luggage, take photos etc.

Adjusting luggage for smooth ride

026-IMG_20180701_111533.jpg

Excellent sunny day on the way to Srinagar

027-IMG_20180701_111517.jpg

028-P1260512.JPG

We have just come out of Jammu - may be 5-6 KMs.

029-IMG_0564.JPG

During the first break for checking the luggage, we observed that Narasimha had lost his mobile. However Vinod had found it. He was riding last and one of the car person saw the mobile falling from Narasimha’ s bike and informed Vinod. Vinod collected and gave it to Narasimha.

We had stopped at one more point where the path to Vaishnodevi temple was visible and we could see a helicopter which was flying and probably taking people to Vaishnodevi temple.

Beautiful road till Udhampur

030-P1260516.JPG

It looks Vaishnodevi temple path visible on the hill

031-P1260517.JPG

We crossed Katra junction and entered Udhampur bypass at 1:00 PM. We had covered around 70 KMs in 2 hours.

In between, one of the speeding XUV500 just scraped Raja Prabhu’s side mirror and he lost the balance. Fortunately nothing happened.

Traffic started from Udhampur bypass and we took 1.25 hours to cover the next 18 KMs. The roads were also not good. In between the traffic, we met one of the guy from Bangalore who has settled in Delhi and he was going to Leh on a bike ride in a group. He spoke to us in Kannada language after noticing our bikes registration number.

While negotiating through the traffic between the cars and trucks, Rajaprabhu’ s bike carrier just touched one of the cars front bumper and Rajaprabhu had to pay some money to settle the matter.

I observed one of the bike riding gloves which had fallen on the road but could not pick it up due to heavy traffic. Later came to know that it had belonged to our friend Narasimha.

Once we came out of the traffic jam, we stopped for a while and had some water and paper boat peanut chikkis. It was hot weather and we needed more drinking water.

Break for water and snacks

032-P1260520.JPG

Rajaprabhu and Narasimha said they will go ahead and purchase some water bottles. We followed them. However we rode 2-3 kilometers without their trace. We saw a tent where there was a crowd. It was a camp setup for distributing food for Amarnath yathris. We thought we will pick up some water from that camp. It was close to 3:00 PM and they were distributing lunch. We decided to have lunch there itself.

Vinod called up Rajaprabhu and understood that they were little behind us. They had stopped near a shop to purchase water bottle and we had crossed without noticing them. We asked them to join at the camp for lunch.

Meanwhile one more incident happened. Narasimha had lost the balance while parking the bike on side stand at the water purchase point and bike almost fell down. He lost around 1.5 liters of petrol due to this but fortunately no damage happened to Narasimha or bike.

We had food at the self-service counter at that Amaranth camp once Narasimha and Rajaprabhu joined us. They served poori, rajma, rice and dal. Even there was rasagulla. We had good lunch. We charged our mobiles also. Sat for a while to avoid riding in hot sun. Had cup of tea and put some money in the hundi they had kept. Even they were offering chocolates for kids and medicines for the needy. All free of cost. Salute to their service. We saw many such camps until Amarnath yathra base camp.

Food served in the camp

033-IMG_0570.JPG

Rasagulla

034-IMG_0571.JPG

Relaxing for some time in the camp

035-IMG_20180701_153252.jpg

Our bikes parked across the road

036-P1260521.JPG

We started at around 4:00 PM and came across Chenani Nashri tunnel which is 9 KM long. Narasimha and Rajaprabhu were ahead of us. We entered the tunnel. It was well lit inside and almost straight. After riding for around 1.5 KMs in the tunnel we saw Narasimha and Rajaprabhu standing on the side waving us to stop. I initially thought they had stopped for taking photos. But scene was different.
A speeding car was honking continuously to overtake Narasimha. Narasimha came to the extreme left side and there is a footpath kind of step on the side all along the tunnel. His saddle bag touched the footpath and he lost the balance. He had injury on left hand and left leg. It was little severe. We had first aid items. Vinod quickly cleaned the wound and put a small bandage.

Narasimha was fine to ride and we wanted to come out of the tunnel first. We started immediately and came out of the tunnel. Vinod went and checked if any first aid is available at the exit of the tunnel. One Doctor came immediately with on an ambulance with the driver and we took Narasimha to a first aid room which was 100 meters away. The doctor cleaned the wound and put the bandages. He suggested to take tetanus injection in next available medical shop or clinic.

We thanked the doctor and took a photo with the ambulance driver / assistant. He is also a motorbike enthusiast and he said he has a RE. He enquired about our trip and wished us.

After crossing the tunnel with ambulance driver / medical assistant

037-IMG_0572.JPG

Ready to continue our journey towards Srinagar after the tunnel

038-P1260523.JPG

We started again and were looking for clinic in Chanderkote or Ramban but could not find one on the roadside. It was a hilly road all along and lot of truck traffic with bad and dusty roads.

Near Ramban ... it is almost 6:30 PM (yellow bag contains empty cans for petrol)

039-P1260526.JPG

040-P1260527.JPG

We could reach Banihal at around 8:00 PM and decided to stay there. We enquired for the rooms and Rajaprabhu found one room at “A-one” hotel. The group which we met near Udhampur, were also staying at A-one hotel and there were 8-10 REs outside the hotel. I had seen a J&K tourism hotel while going towards A-one. Vinod and myself went there and found the room to be good with lot of parking space. We took a room there.

We had roti and panneer makhani in the Punjabi dhaba outside our hotel.

Soft rotis

041-IMG_20180701_215927.jpg

Delicious Panneer makhani

042-IMG_20180701_215931.jpg

After returning to the room, we called up Rajaprabhu and enquired about Narasimha. He was fine to continue the journey the next day.

We decided to start our next day’s journey to Srinagar at 6:30 AM and slept.

Stay : JKTDC tourist bungalow 2, Banihal – Rent 800 per day

KMs ridden : 174 – Start 13798 and End 13972

Last edited:
1-Jul-2018 (Sunday): Day 2 - (Jammu to Banihal)

We reached Jammu railway station by 6:30 AM and quickly unloaded our luggage's from the emergency window as the train was stopping for 5 minutes only. We moved all our luggage’s towards parcel office first, which was around 200 meters from the place we got down from the train. Couple of us went ahead and ensured that the bikes are also unloaded. We moved the bikes near our luggage area from the unloaded area ourselves by pushing them one by one. In hurry, we didn’t notice and moved somebody else’s bike too in the first round:). We got the bikes released after producing the booking receipt and got the gate pass to take the bikes out of the railway station.

Vinod with our unloaded bikes at Jammu railway station
(We took photo in railway station after taking permission from police standing there)

View attachment 768461

View attachment 768462

All of our luggage's to be loaded on our bikes

View attachment 768463

We didn’t go in search of hotel rooms in Jammu city since the room was required only to finish the morning formalities and bath. We completed it in the bathroom / restroom in railway waiting room on rotation basis. Narasimha and I finished first followed by Vinod and Rajaprabhu. While coming back they had the breakfast and brought paratha parcel for us.

Paratha and curd we had in the railway station..quantity of curd served is very good

View attachment 768464

We moved the bikes and luggage’s out of the railway station and removed the packing of the bikes first. Couple of parcel packing guys came and helped us to unpack. They actually came to collect the removed packing material and we gave it to them happily. Unfortunately they were fighting for the equal share of the removed packing material.

We inspected the bikes as we unpacked and luckily there were no damages to any of the bikes during this transit from Bangalore to Jammu. It might be because we personally monitored the loading of the bikes at Bangalore as well at New Delhi.

We needed petrol and we saw one native Jammu guy who had come on a two-wheeler to receive his friend. His friend also had parceled his bike to Jammu. We enquired that native guy about the petrol bunk and he asked me join him so that he can take me to the nearest petrol bunk.

I was ready with an empty can and sat as pillion with him. He took me to an Indian oil petrol bunk and I bought around 5 liters of petrol which costed INR 390. The native guy even dropped me back to the railway station. We thanked him for this nice gesture and exchanged our phone numbers. We invited him to visit us at Bangalore when he comes down.

Other mates were already fixing their luggage on the bikes by the time I brought the petrol. I too fixed the rear view mirror and loaded the luggage quickly. We filled 1 liter of petrol for each bike. We used a 1 liter oil can for that. I kept the remaining petrol for emergency and filled it later to my bike.

It was close to 10:15 AM when we were ready. We took few pictures of our bikes and self. Even noted our odometer readings and started our journey towards Srinagar highway. All the bikes started in one go without any trouble.

RX-135 ready for the journey

View attachment 768465

RE's getting ready

View attachment 768466

Distributing petrol

View attachment 768467

We decided to skip Vaishnodevi visit as originally planned as weather was very hot and we thought that it would take at least a day to visit the temple and come back. Even we will get tired due to walking / trekking involved in visiting the temple and it would be difficult to ride the bikes next day. So we decided to skip visit to Vaishnodevi temple and cover as much distance as possible towards Srinagar. Our target for the day was to reach Anantnag and stay there.

We filled up our petrol tanks at next Indian oil petrol bunk where there was ATM and they were accepting the credit cards. We got the air pressure checked for the wheels. We withdrew money in the ATM at petrol station and handed over 5K each to Rajaprabhu who was going to be our treasurer. We drank and filled cold filtered drinking water available at that fuel station. I had one spare can of 5 liters and filled it too with the water. This was useful later where we used it for washing hands and face after travelling in dust filled roads towards Srinagar.

Meanwhile Rajaprabhu observed that one of his credit card is missing. He searched in all the bags and concluded that he lost it mostly when he booked the relaxation room at New Delhi railway station. He contacted the bank and asked them to block the card. The prepaid phones were not working as soon as we entered J&K state. Rajaprabhu and Vinod had bought postpaid BSNL sim especially for this trip and we started using those numbers for making and receiving the calls from our family. I had a postpaid Airtel phone but signal was not that great.

It was close to 11:00 AM now. We enquired about the way to Srinagar and rode towards Srinagar highway. Roads up to Udhampur bypass were excellent and we took 3-4 breaks to check luggage, take photos etc.

Adjusting luggage for smooth ride

View attachment 768468

Excellent sunny day on the way to Srinagar

View attachment 768469

View attachment 768470

We have just come out of Jammu - may be 5-6 KMs.

View attachment 768471

During the first break for checking the luggage, we observed that Narasimha had lost his mobile. However Vinod had found it. He was riding last and one of the car person saw the mobile falling from Narasimha’ s bike and informed Vinod. Vinod collected and gave it to Narasimha.

We had stopped at one more point where the path to Vaishnodevi temple was visible and we could see a helicopter which was flying and probably taking people to Vaishnodevi temple.

Beautiful road till Udhampur

View attachment 768472

It looks Vaishnodevi temple path visible on the hill

View attachment 768473

We crossed Katra junction and entered Udhampur bypass at 1:00 PM. We had covered around 70 KMs in 2 hours.

In between, one of the speeding XUV500 just scraped Raja Prabhu’s side mirror and he lost the balance. Fortunately nothing happened.

Traffic started from Udhampur bypass and we took 1.25 hours to cover the next 18 KMs. The roads were also not good. In between the traffic, we met one of the guy from Bangalore who has settled in Delhi and he was going to Leh on a bike ride in a group. He spoke to us in Kannada language after noticing our bikes registration number.

While negotiating through the traffic between the cars and trucks, Rajaprabhu’ s bike carrier just touched one of the cars front bumper and Rajaprabhu had to pay some money to settle the matter.

I observed one of the bike riding gloves which had fallen on the road but could not pick it up due to heavy traffic. Later came to know that it had belonged to our friend Narasimha.

Once we came out of the traffic jam, we stopped for a while and had some water and paper boat peanut chikkis. It was hot weather and we needed more drinking water.

Break for water and snacks

View attachment 768474

Rajaprabhu and Narasimha said they will go ahead and purchase some water bottles. We followed them. However we rode 2-3 kilometers without their trace. We saw a tent where there was a crowd. It was a camp setup for distributing food for Amarnath yathris. We thought we will pick up some water from that camp. It was close to 3:00 PM and they were distributing lunch. We decided to have lunch there itself.

Vinod called up Rajaprabhu and understood that they were little behind us. They had stopped near a shop to purchase water bottle and we had crossed without noticing them. We asked them to join at the camp for lunch.

Meanwhile one more incident happened. Narasimha had lost the balance while parking the bike on side stand at the water purchase point and bike almost fell down. He lost around 1.5 liters of petrol due to this but fortunately no damage happened to Narasimha or bike.

We had food at the self-service counter at that Amaranth camp once Narasimha and Rajaprabhu joined us. They served poori, rajma, rice and dal. Even there was rasagulla. We had good lunch. We charged our mobiles also. Sat for a while to avoid riding in hot sun. Had cup of tea and put some money in the hundi they had kept. Even they were offering chocolates for kids and medicines for the needy. All free of cost. Salute to their service. We saw many such camps until Amarnath yathra base camp.

Food served in the camp

View attachment 768475

Rasagulla

View attachment 768476

Relaxing for some time in the camp

View attachment 768477

Our bikes parked across the road

View attachment 768478

We started at around 4:00 PM and came across Chenani Nashri tunnel which is 9 KM long. Narasimha and Rajaprabhu were ahead of us. We entered the tunnel. It was well lit inside and almost straight. After riding for around 1.5 KMs in the tunnel we saw Narasimha and Rajaprabhu standing on the side waving us to stop. I initially thought they had stopped for taking photos. But scene was different.
A speeding car was honking continuously to overtake Narasimha. Narasimha came to the extreme left side and there is a footpath kind of step on the side all along the tunnel. His saddle bag touched the footpath and he lost the balance. He had injury on left hand and left leg. It was little severe. We had first aid items. Vinod quickly cleaned the wound and put a small bandage.

Narasimha was fine to ride and we wanted to come out of the tunnel first. We started immediately and came out of the tunnel. Vinod went and checked if any first aid is available at the exit of the tunnel. One Doctor came immediately with on an ambulance with the driver and we took Narasimha to a first aid room which was 100 meters away. The doctor cleaned the wound and put the bandages. He suggested to take tetanus injection in next available medical shop or clinic.

We thanked the doctor and took a photo with the ambulance driver / assistant. He is also a motorbike enthusiast and he said he has a RE. He enquired about our trip and wished us.

After crossing the tunnel with ambulance driver / medical assistant

View attachment 768479

Ready to continue our journey towards Srinagar after the tunnel

View attachment 768480

We started again and were looking for clinic in Chanderkote or Ramban but could not find one on the roadside. It was a hilly road all along and lot of truck traffic with bad and dusty roads.

Near Ramban ... it is almost 6:30 PM (yellow bag contains empty cans for petrol)

View attachment 768481

View attachment 768482

We could reach Banihal at around 8:00 PM and decided to stay there. We enquired for the rooms and Rajaprabhu found one room at “A-one” hotel. The group which we met near Udhampur, were also staying at A-one hotel and there were 8-10 REs outside the hotel. I had seen a J&K tourism hotel while going towards A-one. Vinod and myself went there and found the room to be good with lot of parking space. We took a room there.

We had roti and panneer makhani in the Punjabi dhaba outside our hotel.

Soft rotis

View attachment 768483

Delicious Panneer makhani

View attachment 768484

After returning to the room, we called up Rajaprabhu and enquired about Narasimha. He was fine to continue the journey the next day.

We decided to start our next day’s journey to Srinagar at 6:30 AM and slept.

Stay : JKTDC tourist bungalow 2, Banihal – Rent 800 per day

KMs ridden : 174 – Start 13798 and End 13972
Great going !!! I use a via terra claw bag. I prefer this against saddle bags which sag low on sides and may hit the side platform or even while getting down from tarmac to sand path on the edges of the tar road. But I guess by the time you finished this trip, you would have mastered the art of riding with huge luggage.

Pardeep Dhounchak

जाट देवता ने कहा है : घुमक्कड़ी किस्मत से मिलती है
SO you have to do some EXTRA care of Narasimha...........................
Keep pouring .....................enjoying this log ...................................

SHEKHAR 257

Be a Good person but Don't try to Prove.
These incidents are part & parcel of long road journeys. But there are good souls around to help in such situations. Friends & locals help us out. It was good that Narasimha didn't suffer any major injuries and was good to ride the next day.

Nice Going. Well narrated. Kudos to the team.

PrabhuG

Great going !!! I use a via terra claw bag. I prefer this against saddle bags which sag low on sides and may hit the side platform or even while getting down from tarmac to sand path on the edges of the tar road. But I guess by the time you finished this trip, you would have mastered the art of riding with huge luggage.
Thank you Tilak !

Good suggestion to use terra claw bag. We will keep this in mind for our subsequent trips...

We didn't had much experience of riding with carriers and saddle bags.. These were couple of incidents on first day and we were comfortable afterwords...