Jammu to Leh Bike Trip | Need your help

SatyaGiggs

Hello everyone,

My cousin and I along with a few other friends are planning for a trip to Leh on bikes between May end and first week of July. Dates are yet to be finalised. We have just begun researching and I want to reach out to you all to get advice. To begin with, we have the following questions
  1. What's the best and safest time (weather conditions-wise) to plan a trip Leh?
  2. Are the roads safe for bike riding from Jammu to Leh via Srinagar and Kargil from second half of July?
  3. It seems that flights from Mumbai to Jammu are the cheapest. Does it make sense to land in Jammu, rent the bikes from there and then travel to Leh?
    • Can we get bikes on rent in Jammu?
    • Two routes are Jammu to Leh via Srinagar, Kargil etc. and Jammu to Leh via Dalhousie Keylong etc. Which route would one advise to be taken? Which one is more scenic?
    • Is it advisable to take the following route? Jammu-Srinagar-Kargil-Leh-Keylong-Dalhousie-Jammu? If so, what challenges can we expect?
    • Should one stick to the plan of doing bike trips from Manali routes itself as they are tried and tested ones?
I am pretty sure that there's a long way to go for planning out the itenary. But answers to these questions will help us in getting started on the right note. Any other suggestions / recommendations would be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Satya

adsatinder

explorer
My cousin and I along with a few other friends are planning for a trip to Leh on bikes between May end and first week of July. Dates are yet to be finalised. We have just begun researching and I want to reach out to you all to get advice. To begin with, we have the following questions

What's the best and safest time (weather conditions-wise) to plan a trip Leh?

Ladakh has its own charm in every weather.
Reaching Ladakh is challenging.
When you are there, you are out of monsoon area.

Are the roads safe for bike riding from Jammu to Leh via Srinagar and Kargil from second half of July?
Yes.
But you must keep eye on News of Road closing or other Political Issues.
Plan B : Go via Manali, if something happens.

It seems that flights from Mumbai to Jammu are the cheapest. Does it make sense to land in Jammu, rent the bikes from there and then travel to Leh?
Economically, Not Good.

Can we get bikes on rent in Jammu?
No Idea if someone is renting bike there for Leh.

Two routes are Jammu to Leh via Srinagar, Kargil etc. and Jammu to Leh via Dalhousie Keylong etc. Which route would one advise to be taken? Which one is more scenic?
Best is go via 1 Srinagar, Kargil etc. is more scenic.

Is it advisable to take the following route? Jammu-Srinagar-Kargil-Leh-Keylong-Dalhousie-Jammu? If so, what challenges can we expect?
Getting via Dalhousie Keylong etc is tough route and may not be feasible if you have any trouble in between.
This has sharp stones, water crossing, no guarantee of route open in monsoon, takes more time, etc. at Sach Pass.

Should one stick to the plan of doing bike trips from Manali routes itself as they are tried and tested ones?

You can get bikes from Manali easily.

But,
You must know that all the Rented bikes will take you to Leh only.
You can't move in Ladakh for Site Seeing.
You have to rent bikes from Leh itself.
Take own bike in train or send via Gati etc roadlines.

Best way to move in Ladakh is with own bike with own name only.
Or you have to rent it from Leh.
Rest of the routes can be done separately anytime later.

Take Rohtang Crossing Permit also when going via Manali towards Leh.
Take Permit from Leh for Ladakh during Acclimatization in Leh.

Last edited:

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Second week of June would be a good time, provided the road reopens by May end. Otherwise, the third week would be better.

July is monsoon season in Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh. Ladakh does not get monsoon showers; however, rain will bother you until Zoji La and then Baralacha La onward.

I am not aware of motorcycle rental shops in Jammu. However, you can rent motorcycles from Srinagar and you can easily get a shared taxi or bus from Jammu to Srinagar.

Dalhousie route goes through Sach Pass, which is quite difficult. It would be the hardest section of your ride and can be extremely challenging during rain. You can come back via Manali as well, though it would be a bit longer.

All roads leading up to Ladakh are scenic and each has its own scenic beauty.

Srinagar route is easier than Manali route. So as long as there are no protests, it is better to take the Srinagar route.

You can always ship your own motorcycle to Jammu and start riding from there. This will not only be cheaper, then you will also be free to fly back from Chandigarh after cover both the routes, instead of riding back all the way to Srinagar.