JK Tourism accomodation in Suru and Zanskar - which is the better option

JK tourism has bunglows in suru in the following places, sankoo, purtikchey, panikhar, tongul and parkachick, which is the better place to stay in terms of
1. the facilities and maintainence/condition of the bunglows
2. the location in terms of natural beauty.

from what i have read on the forum, purtikchey is the best place in terms of natural beauty as compared to the rest, and also the jk tourism bunglow is better maintianed with working facilities like geysers, etc, is it true?

could somebody help me on this issue to finalize my itinerary

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Not sure about Purtikchey, but you aren’t going to get geysers in any of the JK Tourism Bungalows, apart from the one at Padum. Most of these just have solar powered lights and common toilet.

yogesh,

kshil's travelog mentions that geysers were available in purtikchey, but that is of minor consideration, more important is which of these locations are more scenic, tanveer suggests in his log that purtikchey is very scenic.

the reason i ask this is because we can plan to spend a additional day exploring suru, and in that case, which place should be our base

we are going to get a lot of brown in zanskar and ladahk, we are looking also at possible green, with streams or rivers.

we were earlier planning to trek and camp at the nun base camp for a night from tongul, but have dropped the idea due to the altitude of the base camp being 4200 mtrs, and dont want to chance AMS, at the start of our trip. now am searching other options, including the small trek to parakchik pass, it is supposed to 1.5 hours one way.

Last edited:

tsk1979

Reclaimed and Recycled
yogesh,

kshil's travelog mentions that geysers were available in purtikchey, but that is of minor consideration, more important is which of these locations are more scenic, tanveer suggests in his log that purtikchey is very scenic..
If you plan to trek up the hill from which the byrkntyn glacier comes down, then its very nice. As a stay place, there is nothing extraordinary, though its quite a lovely place, much better than panikhar. However, Randum is far more scenic.

"byrkntyn glacier" ??, tanveer, are you referring to the parkachick glacier (it has also been referred to as the kangriz glacier), or is this some other glacier, could you point out the location.

the short trek i was referring to was to the parkachik - la (3810 mtrs), in the parkachik ridge, it is supposed to be a 1.5 hour trek one way from parkachick, and can also be done in 3 hours one way from panikhar. It is supposed to offer great views of the nun kun massif

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
If you want greens with streams, then Panikhar is the place to be.

If you want breath taking vistas and dramatic sunsets, then Rangdum is the place to be, even though it isn’t as green.

tsk1979

Reclaimed and Recycled
"byrkntyn glacier" ??, tanveer, are you referring to the parkachick glacier (it has also been referred to as the kangriz glacier), or is this some other glacier, could you point out the location.

the short trek i was referring to was to the parkachik - la (3810 mtrs), in the parkachik ridge, it is supposed to be a 1.5 hour trek one way from parkachick, and can also be done in 3 hours one way from panikhar. It is supposed to offer great views of the nun kun massif
Yes, the same one. Rangriz and Byrkntyn are actually two glaciers. What coes down is Rangriz, and at teh start its Byrkntyn. The old names are lost and confused. Different book written in the 19th century give different names :p

If you want greens with streams, then Panikhar is the place to be.

If you want breath taking vistas and dramatic sunsets, then Rangdum is the place to be, even though it isn’t as green.
now i am as confused as the kid in the chocolate shop :D

i want it all, i want it all,

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for clearing the confusion, i guess we will take a call on which of the treks to choose once we are there

- - - Updated - - -

okay, i think i will now rerun the trip plan, i think rangdum as a stay option is ruled out both ways, what are your comments on the following 2 plans, we have to reach leh on day 8 in time to submit our permits. feel free to redraw the plans completely also

in plan 1- we get one day lesser in suru/zanskar
in plan 2 - we skip out in the sightseeing of alchi and likir monastries, but gain one more day in suru

we dont really mind skipping out the monastries, if we are going to be compensated by majestic vistas

plan 1

1. sonmarg to sankoo/purthickchey (it will have to be one of the 2, to push beyond purthickchey will be wishful thinking, or just a mad rush)
the advantage of staying at sankoo is that we can do the side trip to kartse khar, with a early stay in the morning, the advantage with purtikchey is that is better located scenically

2. sankoo/purthichey to padum

3. padum -stongde - zangla - karsha -padum

4. padum -donzkul - padum (in morning half) & padum - bardan - shila - padum (in the afternoon half)

5. padum (early start), reach parkachick by 1 pm, short trek in afternoon, night stay at parkachick or maybe push upto purtikchey for night halt
(here i am assuming that the travel time between padum to parkachik is 6 hours, and between parkachik and purtikchey is 1.5 hours)

6. parkachick/purtikchey - uleytokpo.

7. uleytokpo - likir - alchi - leh (with sightseeing enroute)

8. leh (have to be in leh on this day for the permits), and then local sight seeing

9. leh riverrafting

10. leh nubra

plan 2

1. sonmarg to sankoo/purthickchey (it will have to be one of the 2, to push beyond purthickchey will be wishful thinking, or just a mad rush)
the advantage of staying at sankoo is that we can do the side trip to kartse khar, with a early stay in the morning, the advantage with purtikchey is that is is better located scenically

2. sankoo/purthichey to padum

3. padum -stongde - zangla - karsha -padum

4. padum -donzkul - padum (in morning half) & padum - bardan - shila - padum (in the afternoon half)

5. padum (early start), reach parkachick by 1 pm, short trek in afternoon, night stay at parkachick

6. parkachick ( maybe another short trek in the morning half to the parkachik glacier) - and in afternoon move to purtikchey for night halt (spending time in panikhar enroute)

7. purtikchey to uleytokpo

8. uleytokpo - leh (early morning start so as to reach in time to apply for permits)

9. leh - riverrafting - leh

10. leh - nubra

rkbharat

Guru
I don't like the idea of traveling from Sankoo to Padum in one shot. This whole stretch is amazing and if you do it in one shot, you will miss alot of beauty.

I will recommend Panikhar JKTDC GH as its in perfect location and near a village. Rangdum has couple of options to stay, JKTDC, Nun Kun Luxury Camps, Home Stay etc. Staying in Rangdum should not be a problem.

Remember, Padum-Shila-Padum will take atleast 3-4 hours so plan accordingly if you want to enjoy the place. And Zonkel is on the opposite direction on Shila.

Again Zangla and Kharsha are on opposite side of the river, covering all three is a full day affair.

Parkachik do have a nice JKTDC IIRC.

if time permits I would do it like this:

Kargil - Panikhar (night stay) - Rangdum (night stay) - Padum (night stay)

If you are short on time, skip Panikhar and stay at Rangdum.

Why bother about geyser and all that, if you are so eager, you will always get hot water in buckets :)

BTW when are you traveling and what is the mode of travel?

I don't like the idea of traveling from Sankoo to Padum in one shot. This whole stretch is amazing and if you do it in one shot, you will miss alot of beauty.

I will recommend Panikhar JKTDC GH as its in perfect location and near a village. Rangdum has couple of options to stay, JKTDC, Nun Kun Luxury Camps, Home Stay etc. Staying in Rangdum should not be a problem.

Remember, Padum-Shila-Padum will take atleast 3-4 hours so plan accordingly if you want to enjoy the place. And Zonkel is on the opposite direction on Shila.

Again Zangla and Kharsha are on opposite side of the river, covering all three is a full day affair.

Parkachik do have a nice JKTDC IIRC.

if time permits I would do it like this:

Kargil - Panikhar (night stay) - Rangdum (night stay) - Padum (night stay)

If you are short on time, skip Panikhar and stay at Rangdum.

Why bother about geyser and all that, if you are so eager, you will always get hot water in buckets :)

BTW when are you traveling and what is the mode of travel?

thanks for the valuable inputs RK, we will be reaching srinagar on the 15th of august (a little dicey start but cant be helped), it is a total 22 day affair, we are 6 of us, and we will be in 2 suv's.

the modified plan is follows,
15/8 - delhi - srinagar (by air) - sonmarg
16/8 - sonmarg - sankoo
17/8 - sankoo - padum
18/8 - padum (zangla, stongde karsha circuit)
19/8 - donzkul (morning half with an early start), shila and barden in the afternoon half
20/8 - padum - parkachik (and small trek to explore the parkachik glazier and camp in some some nice location.
21/8 - parkachik to panikar (trek over the parkachik pass to panikhar approx 5 hours, and then camp in panikhar) supposed to have great view onf the nun kun massif from the pass.
22-8 - panikhar to uley
23-8 uley to leh ( and there on to nubra, pangong, hanle, tso moriri, manali.)

we are moving directly to padum from sankoo, so as to acclamatise for the planned trek and camping in suru valley on the return,

zangla - stongde - karsha is doable in one day isint it ?

when you say padum - shila - padum is 3 to 4 hours, does that mean only the travelling time to and fro,

can we do bardan enroute to shila ?

also how much time should we calculate for zonskul ?

any other suggestions on the plan are most welcome,

BTW, when i was checking about the geysers, I was more worried about the condition of my co travellers, that i would have to put up with, inside of the closed confines of the suv for long durations :D, i guess they must be making the same enquiries with the same concerns.

Last edited: