Jodhpur to Leh

Hello friends, I have been planning to do Leh since years and I guess this is the right time to do it.

My name is Manish Arora, I am from Jodhpur (Rajasthan) did a lot of travelling in my i10, but she is now too old to do a Leh trip. Planning to get a Scorpio as that is the only best option available from ZoomCar in my city as we are 5 people in total. The other options are Creta, Swift, Brezza, Ford Freestyle. Please suggest the best car among these.

The itinerary-

June 5th- Jodhpur to Jaipur (will be picking up 4 friends who are joining me from Agra) Night Halt at Jaipur. A small party before the big one.
June 6th- Jaipur to Amritsar. confused on which route will be the best. I would prefer NH 52 with less traffic. Please suggest.
June 7th- Amritsar to Srinagar
June 8th- Srinagar to Kargil
June 9th- Kargil to Leh
June 10th- Local Sightseeing and Rest Day booking 3 bikes for 5 of us for upcoming 3 or 4 days. Getting innerline permits.
June 11th- Leh to Hunder (Khardung La- Diskit)
June 12th- Hunder to Leh (Panamik- Khardung La)
June 13th- Leh to Pangong Tso (Chang La, Hemis Monastary)
June 14th- Pangong Tso to Leh (leaving at afternoon)
June 15th- Leh to Sarchu or Jispa or keylong (need suggestions)
June 16th- to Manali or Solang Valley (need suggestions)
June 17th- Manali or Solang Valley to Agra (Dropping Friends)
June 18th- Agra to Jodhpur

I will be keeping one day as Buffer day if any changes in plan.

Have many questions in mind-

Please suggest if it is doable as it is mentioned above.
Hiring Bikes from Leh to visit places or should i hire a cab which is going to be economical?
Any link for Hiring bikes would help a lot.
Hotel suggestions needed for Kargil, Hunder, Pangong Tso, and Sarchu or Jispa or Keylong.

I looked at an estimate of around 30-35k per person including the vehicle, diesel, hotel and food.

I will need your kind suggestion on the above mentioned itinerary, if there should be any changes done. The dates cannot be changed but yes can stretch the trip to a day or two if suggested.

Please advise all.

thanks in advance.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Scorpio should be fine, though an Innova would be more comfortable for five people plus luggage.

Hiring three motorcycles would be more economical than hiring a taxi, though taxi would be more comfortable.

For motorcycles or taxis, you can contact Inder 9906971501.

As far as your itinerary goes, skip Amritsar, no point going there and doing Amritsar to Srinagar in a single day is going to be difficult. Instead, travel to Pathankot or Jammu on the second day.

Visit Panamik and Sumur, before traveling to Hunder on 11th and then on the 12th, instead of coming back to Leh, take the Agham – Shyok route to Pangong Tso. Make sure to refuel at Diskit and start from there by 10 am.

Stay at Manali or Naggar, next day you will escape at least some of the traffic jam.

Rest of your travel plan looks fine.

What is your budget for hotel room?

Thank You Yogesh ji,

Points taken and noted as well. There is not much difference on the ground clearance btwn Innova and Scorpio but Scorpio has a 180 mm clearance while innova has just 176. How about a Tata Hexa, it has a good clearance of about 200 I guess. any reviews on this car?

Also will postpone the dates and start on 8th instead of 5th. Got this message from Zoomcars that there is a 50% discount applied on bookings done on 28th and 29th of May for journey after June the 8th. So it will save us atleast 24-25k which looks too good.

So here is the revised itinerary as suggested-

June 8th- Jodhpur to Jaipur (will be picking up 4 friends who are joining me from Agra) Night Halt at Jaipur. A small party before the big one.
June 9th- Jaipur to Pathankot.
June 10th- Pathankot to Srinagar
June 11th- Srinagar to Kargil
June 12th- Kargil to Leh
June 13th- Local Sightseeing and Rest Day booking 3 bikes for 5 of us for upcoming 3 or 4 days. Getting innerline permits.
June 14th- Leh to Hunder (Khardung La - Sumur- Panamik- Hunder)
June 15th- Hunder to Pangkok Tso
June 16th- Pangong to Leh (Chang La, Hemis Monastary)
June 17th- A DAY SAVED.. ARE WE MISSING SOME GOOD PLACES, PLEASE SUGGEST
June 18th- Leh to Sarchu or Jispa or keylong (need suggestions)
June 19th- to Naggar
June 20th- Naggar to Agra (Dropping Friends)
June 21st- Agra to Jodhpur

Hotel budget is yet to be decided but anything between 1000/- or 2000/- is just fine as we will be needing just 2 rooms at the most. Are there any tents available (tented accommodation) Please suggest.

Also confused on which route will be the best while traveling from Jaipur to Pathankot. I would prefer NH 52 via Hisar with less traffic (very less options of good food in between i guess) or should i take the regular route via Panipat the NH48 one.

Thanks a lot.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
The reason I suggested Innova because it was more comfortable than the Scorpio, which is cramped inside. Hexa would be a good bet as well. Do not fret too much about ground clearance.

The last day you will be in Leh, you can cover the local sights and visit Thiksey, Shey, Hemis and Stakna Monasteries. Alternatively, you can do rafting, if you are interested in that and are not feeling the effects of AMS.

You will be able to find tents in Nubra Valley and at Pangong Tso. However, they are not that cheap. Guesthouses are usually cheaper.

The reason I suggested Innova because it was more comfortable than the Scorpio, which is cramped inside. Hexa would be a good bet as well. Do not fret too much about ground clearance.

The last day you will be in Leh, you can cover the local sights and visit Thiksey, Shey, Hemis and Stakna Monasteries. Alternatively, you can do rafting, if you are interested in that and are not feeling the effects of AMS.

You will be able to find tents in Nubra Valley and at Pangong Tso. However, they are not that cheap. Guesthouses are usually cheaper.
One quick question yogesh sir, i have already got the permits but little hesitant to pay online. can i pay the fee directly at the permit office in leh or is it a compulsion to pay online.

please advise.

What is the current situation of taking a Self Driven rental to Ladakh region, do I still have to hire a local transport or can i travel with the self driven from zoomcars itself.

the dates are very close, will need the answer quickly.

Anyone please.

Thanks.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
One quick question yogesh sir, i have already got the permits but little hesitant to pay online. can i pay the fee directly at the permit office in leh or is it a compulsion to pay online.

please advise.
You can pay at the permit office.

What is the current situation of taking a Self Driven rental to Ladakh region, do I still have to hire a local transport or can i travel with the self driven from zoomcars itself.

the dates are very close, will need the answer quickly.

Anyone please.

Thanks.
No issue with driving it to Leh or places around it. For Nubra Valley and Pangong Tso, you will have to hire a taxi or motorcycle.