Julley Ladakh !...Trip by gang of 18 in late August/early September 2019

adsatinder

explorer
Any tip for this issue...Am continuing my t-log by writing in "Post reply" text box at the bottom of the page. Hence all my posts, including the image uploads, are showing up as "replies".

Is there any other way to post (continuation of this thread) rather than in "Post reply" text box?

Guess there must be...
This is the way to post a Travelogue in a Forum.
Image with some text is good to see and enjoy.
Don't write whole story in a Single Box as it will make a page very heavy.
Intro is must as these are your memories.
We like to know about the People if they are not shy and open for Intro.

ypk_123

Fernweh...
Thks adsatinder for the clarification. Will continue posting as earlier.
This is the way to post a Travelogue in a Forum.
Image with some text is good to see and enjoy.
Don't write whole story in a Single Box as it will make a page very heavy.
Intro is must as these are your memories.
We like to know about the People if they are not shy and open for Intro.

adsatinder

explorer
Great Intro !
Great Novel !
Great Words !

I hope Story will be Colourful & eventful like team building and leaving it !
LOL !

ypk_123

Fernweh...
Continuing the story. Hectic day in office and was a bit lazy after returning home yesterday as I was quite tired.
Coming to the preparations before the start of the journey...flight ticket bookings were quite a task as bookings for 16 people (16 Vizag travellers including Jyothsna, 2 from Hyderabad and 1 from Trivandrum made the flight bookings themselves) had to be made in the same flight for all 3 legs Vizag-Delhi, Leh-Delhi, Delhi-Vizag).

This herculean task was accomplished, primarily, by the Cmdr. Group booking of 12 tkts from Leh to Delhi was done by me along with Chaitu on GoAir for 6th Sept.

5 tkts were booked under Defence quota by the Cmdr. Vizag-Delhi, Delhi-Vizag and the remaining Leh-Delhi tkts too were booked by Cmdr. Hats off to his enormous patience in doing group bookings. Not my cup of tea at all :)

And here comes the twist in the tail again !

Just a few days before our departure from Vizag, the Cmdr got a message from Indigo informing that our return flight from Delhi to Vizag on 6th Sept was cancelled and we were booked on alternate flight, which leaves 2 hours earlier than the previous flight we booked.

This was a huge problem for us. The gap between the Leh flight arrival at Delhi and departure of Vizag flight from Delhi shrunk to 2 hours. What if Leh flight got delayed by 30 mins or more ? It is a very real possibility as I saw on some website that the average delay in arrival of Leh flights at their destination was + 22 mins. We also had to account for the baggage collection time of 19 persons, then board the airport shuttle or cabs to change to T2 terminal and then check-in again. Not enough time gap between flights to feel comfortable, we felt.

Again the task fell to Cmdr to talk to Indigo and sort out the mess we landed in. He can convince, literally anyone to his point of view...the same he did to the Indigo person on the phone.

Our tkts were again re-booked in another flight to Vizag, which departs from Delhi at 7.15 pm. Now the gap between flights was too long... almost 9 hrs. Hmmm...of the two options we all felt this was better. Airport mein so jayenge yaa time pass karenge, yaa kahin ghoom ke aayenge...is what we thought. So the Cmdr made the Indigo guy re-book all our tkts, including retrieving our info from the earlier booked tkts, making entries, booking tkts again and sending soft copies of the re-booked tkts to his e-mail ! All this accomplished without spending any extra amount and making the Indigo guy do all the hard work :).
That's the Cmdr for you !

Last edited:

ypk_123

Fernweh...
My worries not yet over...Ladakh seemed to test our resolve till the last day.

One morning as I was about to leave for office, at about 8.15 am, my wife (GS) suddenly almost fainted...heavy sweating and body going cold was observed. Rushed her to hospital where all tests were done (blood tests like lipid profile, creatinine, liver function test, Hb,TC,DC, blood sugar level... many others). ECG & abdomen scanning too were done. I was greatly relieved when all the test reports came out normal and the same was confirmed by the doc too. Only her BP was slightly elevated. This was monitored for one week (twice daily) and the doc gave the go ahead with no restrictions of any kind.

Phew...relieved at last.
GS...in a relaxed mood after the go-ahead from the doc.

IMG_20190814_181549__01__01__01__01__01.jpg

ypk_123

Fernweh...
With flight tkts in hand, I corresponded with Punchok Tsering of Greater Ladakh Tour and Travel.The mode of communication was primarily WhatsApp (occasionally e-mail and phone calls).

Here's the guy.

Screenshot_20190924-210433__01__01.jpg

L to R...Chaitu, ypk, Punchok, Nani, Cmdr, Abhiram. All 5 of us were wearing the T-shirts bought at Diskit monastery with the tag line "How I got Leh'd".

As per our requirements he confirmed the package (details mentioned at the start of the thread). This guy is amazing. He never, not once...asked me for money. In fact, I was after him to accept some payment as advance. I felt (not knowing Ladakhis) this will formalise our deal with him. Atlast he agreed to take some amount (figure quoted by him as advance seemed too small...Rs 10 to 15k rupees). I finally transferred Rs 50k as advance to his account.

Of all the hotels/camps he suggested, we asked for change only for Chandigarh hotel. He agreed and was on the search for a suitable one for one night (total 8 rooms) and finally zeroed in on Hotel Sun Park Resort. I went through some online reviews and agreed with Punchok's suggestion... (Finally it turned out quite good and to our full satisfaction).

Not advertising in any way...my honest opinion on Punchok. He's a good, reliable guy who delivers what he promises.

Last edited:

ypk_123

Fernweh...
The last fortnight before the start of our trip was quite hectic. Two birthday parties, including VL's whose 60th birthday and retirement function (as teacher) we organised and celebrated. My brother-in law with family visited us from Hyderabad after a long time. We had a fun family trip to Araku valley on 17th-18th Aug where we also celebrated wifey's birthday on 18th Aug. Araku valley was really beautiful in monsoon.

Araku valley ...120 Kms from Vizag.

IMG_20190817_175727-01.jpeg

IMG_20190815_134606__01.jpg

Nephew Abhishek, bro-in-law and his wife in front of my house.

Abhishek at Yarada beach, Vizag.
IMG_20190815_072512__01.jpg

LN, Cmdr, GS, my bro-in-law and his wife at Yarada
IMG_20190815_081449__01.jpg

Last edited:

SHEKHAR 257

Be a Good person but Don't try to Prove.
Travelling in such a large group isn't a cup of tea for all. You have to have proper bonding and should know each other well. Kudos to the whole group from kids to grandmas to do this beautiful trip of a life time. Excellent narration with equally captivating pics. Waiting for next part.

ypk_123

Fernweh...
Thank u Shekhar 257. It indeed is a challenging task travelling with such a large group unless everyone co-operates. I must compliment all the group members here, they were a "dream group" in fact.

I guess knowing each other quite well for a long time, staying together in the same colony practically a stone's throw away from each other (10 of us) and having travelled together in a group (especially us with the Cmdr's family on a number of trips) previously, obviously helped.

Glad u liked the narration and pics !

Last edited: