Kaanji Paani

:( no Kanji for me this time.. In hyd only English carrot is available not even the dark red else kanji and Dahi wadas are patent dishes for Holi in my place. :( missing Doon.

aroy

After Holi black carrots disappeared from market, so I thought of a substitute - Beetroot and normal carrots. Made a batch of equal portions of each. It came out reasonably well. In fact as the fermentation was not as strong as in black carrots some lied it better.

The tally for this year
. Batch #1 - 2kg Black carrots = 10L
. Batch #2 - 1.0kg Black carrots & 1/2 kg normal carrots = 8L
. Batch #3 - 1/2kg Beet, 1/2 kg normal carrots = 8L

Will restart once Black carrots are back in the market.

nitish

Sir ji, I have been liviing away from home and have been missing this thing badly. Just wanted to check if this black carrot only available in winters. My uncle used to make this and I love it.

oriole12

Nature Lover
Nitish, Black Carrot is available only in the peak of winters. And traditionally, the drink is also made in winter only.

aroy

Made the season's first batch last week. And started another a couple of days back. The tried and tested recipe remains same - 1Kg carrots = 10L kanji.

Kanji-01.jpg

Carrots

Kanji-03.jpg

Dry ingredients

Kanji-06.jpg

Chopped carrots

Kanji-08.jpg

Jars filled

Kanji-09.jpg

View from top

Kanji-11.jpg

Maturing in the sun

Kanji-13.jpg

Note the colour it is pale initially

Kanji-14.jpg

Maturing

Push21

Yummy, waiting for tomorrow, when I would be having it in loads & loads....while playing with colors......