Kartikswami Temple & Auli in 2nd week of Dec 19

kolkatarider

I am thinking to visit Kartikswamy Temple and Auli in the second week of December '19 from Kausani by my self driven Wagon R car. Could anyone please advise me wether it would be possible to visit these places in the height of winter? Would the roads be open in the middle of DECEMBER? If yes, what precautions should be taken, if any?

Last edited:

adsatinder

explorer
Yes.
You can go there.
Get ready for Rush at Auli if it is near New Year.
Book Accommodation in advance.
There is good rush as seen in last couple of years.

Kartik Swami Temple is good place to be at such time.
Stay at a warm place.
Tents will be cold.
Better be at some concrete home or Home Stay.

kolkatarider

Yes.
You can go there.

Stay at a warm place.
Tents will be cold.
[/QUOTE
Yes.
You can go there.

Stay at a warm place.
Tents will be cold.
Arrey Satinder ji, I forgot to mention the main information in my post, that is, I shall be visiting Kumayun by my Wagon R car. So I wanted to proceed to Chopta from Kausani via Karanaprayag and from there I also wanted to go to Auli by my self driven car. I wanted to ask would the roads be open to Chopta and Joshimath in the middle of December. Secondly, if at all it is possible, I would be reaching Joshimath by 15 th of December. Would the New year rush be heavy during that time? I don't want to do advance booking of hotel because I shall be driving all the way from Kolkata. There are so many possible uncertainties. You can understand that.

adsatinder

explorer
Arrey Satinder ji, I forgot to mention the main information in my post, that is, I shall be visiting Kumaun by my Wagon R car. So I wanted to proceed to Chopta from Kausani via Karanaprayag and from there I also wanted to go to Auli by my self driven car. I wanted to ask would the roads be open to Chopta and Joshimath in the middle of December.
Roads are normally open.
Avoid early morning or dark evening rides in hills because, Black Ice can be a problem at places.
If weather is clear then all is good.
Keep eye on Western Disturbance.
Even if there is small snowfall, you can go to Chopta & Kartik Swami temple with precautions to drive slowly.

Secondly, if at all it is possible, I would be reaching Joshimath by 15 th of December. Would the New year rush be heavy during that time? I don't want to do advance booking of hotel because I shall be driving all the way from Kolkata. There are so many possible uncertainties. You can understand that.
Joshimath is open all year.
Only for some instances, it is difficult in bad weather to drive here.
Otherwise, Joshimath is good to go in winters too.
15 December is good.
If you are going there after 21 December due to Xmas holidays, rush will start to build up heavily.

Auli is 11-15km ahead from Joshimath, depending on your stay.
Even if there is snow, you can walk to Auli in snow if snow is not much or can hire an experienced Taxi Driver from Joshimath.

kolkatarider

Roads are normally open.
Avoid early morning or dark evening rides in hills because, Black Ice can be a problem at places.
If weather is clear then all is good.
Even if there is small snowfall, you can go to Chopta & Kartik Swami temple with precautions to drive slowly.

Joshimath is open all year.
Only for some instances, it is difficult in bad weather to drive here.
Otherwise, Joshimath is good to go in winters too.
15 December is good.
If you are going there after 21 December due to Xmas holidays, rush will start to build up heavily.

Auli is 11-15km ahead from Joshimath, depending on your stay.
Even if there is snow, you can walk to Auli in snow if snow is not much or can hire an experienced Taxi Driver from Joshimath.
Satinder ji, thank you very much for your prompt reply.

I heard it is possible to go to Auli from Joshimath by cable car. Is it true?

What is western disturbance? I could not understand this.

adsatinder

explorer
I heard it is possible to go to Auli from Joshimath by cable car. Is it true?
Yes.
This is operational in winters too.
Electricity should be there.
If weather goes very bad only then Electricity problem can be there. It is rare.

1573326457029.png

1573326506245.png

@ Tilak Ji

A BCMTIAN replied:
I went there in 2017

Cable car operates in 2-3 sections
Joshimath-Auli (by road 8 kms).
Next section from Auli - Artificial Lake for Rs 300 (no road/trek) at both ends of Ski area.
And the ticket for entire section was Rs 800

These rates were for up and down, and the return should be before 4 pm.

Last edited:

adsatinder

explorer
What is western disturbance? I could not understand this.
Western Disturbance is a weather phenomenon. Cold weather comes from Europe / UAE side to Himalaya of North India and creates rain at lower altitude, snowfall at higher altitudes.
7th Nov saw same thing.

Check here:

On 11th & 12th Western Disturbance is developing.

Last edited: