thefirstthambi

Aj Raina
Anup Sir,
Very true. Kasol is a now a bursting township with problems of a metro city. The eco-system is too fragile and as the oldies would tell you, some kind of catastrophe is now due. The saving grace, however, is the fact that areas across the river, ie Rasol, Katagla, Chalaal etc, though somewhat polluted, are still holding on.
Even Barot is now another disaster in making. In a country where getting married, buying a car on loan, producing children and polluting the surroundings are all matters of birthright, such a sad scene is bound to happen!.Recently, I was in Barot yet again and seeing the unruly crowds there, I got back and walked up my favourite Fula Ri Dhar for a respite. BTW, Fula-Ri-Dhar is what it is, the narrow road from Jatingri to Mandi/Kullu (it runs on top of the ridge and parallel to main Joginder Nagar-Mandi-Kullu Road) is outlandishly beautiful. It is worth a ride/drive....very scenic, picturesque and virtually traffic less.

swastik.ZMR

I never much liked Kasol, The only thing that i found interesting was the hanging bridge which would freak me out and the springs near the river. The better places to visit are Kheerganga, chhalal, tosh, rashol & ofcourse Malana :D

thefirstthambi

Aj Raina
An important update....
NGT and local Tourism teams cracked down on Kasol recently. They discovered, as they had suspected all along, the following:-
1. About 50 out of 56 hotels/guesthouses/lodges and eating joints (including likes of Evergreen, Little Italy, Moon Dance etc) had been operating without any valid license. All such places have been sealed now. The Court has given no relief yet and next hearing is in March. Hotels like Sandhya Kasol, Royal Palace and only Camp Kasol (less its kitchen) are still operational.
2. All the properties around Kasol and across the river, ie in Katagla, Chalal, Suma Ropa and Choj, have been fined but not sealed yet. They are on on one months' notice now.
3. While the NGT norms and licensing issues were being tackled, revenue and forest departments suddenly woke up and realised that everyone , practically, had encroached on govt lands.

Implications....
1. Be careful while booking your rooms this season. Check and double check before paying up.
2. Hotels and properties that are alive and kicking, have increased their tariff for obvious reasons. May like to book early.
3. Look for properties around Kasol and not in Kasol per se. While they may also be shut down soon, they are operating as of now.
4. Do try new tents with attached washrooms and hot springs (next door) within Forest Complex at Kasol. The property is brand new and rates don't fluctuate because of govt control. Tents available @INR 1000/-.

Manali and Dharamshala have also seen numerous hotels getting sealed during December. Pl be careful.

rajeshv

All,
Am traveling to Kasol and surroundings starting from 23rd to 27th February. Looking for some suggestions for accommodation, where to eat and other dos and don'ts. Please assist.

Thanks,
Rajesh

thefirstthambi

Aj Raina
All,
Am traveling to Kasol and surroundings starting from 23rd to 27th February. Looking for some suggestions for accommodation, where to eat and other dos and don'ts. Please assist.

Thanks,
Rajesh
Feb end will still be cold especially now that first snow of the season in Kasol is only expected next week. So, avoid camps and tents. But with most of the facilities sealed, as mentioned earlier, please do confirm your bookings before you embark on the journey. Tosh (even though dirty), Chalal, Katagla and Suma Ropa still have guesthouses and niches that are operational.
Evergreen, touted the best in the town for eats, is sealed off and so are Moon Dance and Sasi.

rajeshv

Feb end will still be cold especially now that first snow of the season in Kasol is only expected next week. So, avoid camps and tents. But with most of the facilities sealed, as mentioned earlier, please do confirm your bookings before you embark on the journey. Tosh (even though dirty), Chalal, Katagla and Suma Ropa still have guesthouses and niches that are operational.
Evergreen, touted the best in the town for eats, is sealed off and so are Moon Dance and Sasi.
Thanks for responding AJ, So would you recommend Kasol or should I look for some other location ? I was looking at Parvati kUtter at Kasol. Also, would you know if can trek to Kheerganga during aforementioned days ?

thefirstthambi

Aj Raina
Thanks for responding AJ, So would you recommend Kasol or should I look for some other location ? I was looking at Parvati kUtter at Kasol. Also, would you know if can trek to Kheerganga during aforementioned days ?
Hi, sorry for the delayed response. Depends on personal preference. For one, I am liking this emptied version of Kasol these days; reminds one of the good old days though damage has already been done. Go for it...Kasol is good even today. Kheerganaga is not likely since it snowed the day before yesterday and kiosk guys are yet to go back there. Without their support, stay will be troublesome if not impossible