Kedarnath Yatra 24-27 May 2015

ajay0612

These days, whenever there are holidays, there is a conflict about destination. Me and my 13 Yr old son want to go up in the hills, but my wife (with younger son in tow) wants to visit a hustling bustling town in plains. So we use to spend most of the time at home :). This time though, things were different as wife and younger son had gone to her parent's home, and me and elder son (alone first time with me) had freedom to choose the destination. He kept on pestering me to choose a trekking destination. Although there are lot of options in Uttarakhand, but to be on safer side, I wanted to opt for a popular destination which also could satisfy his urge for trekking, while at the same time offering lot of photo ops. So we chose Kedarnath, which I had never visited earlier. In the end, it turned out to be worth the effort.
Kedarnath is located at a distance of 223 km from Rishikesh in Uttarakhand and close to the source of Mandakini river at a height of 3,583 m (11,755 ft) above sea level - Wikipedia
Teasers:
IMG_3597 copy.jpg

Near Kedarnath (Temple is visible in middle of township near the base.)

IMG_3649 copy.jpg

The temple is visible near left bottom 1/3 of image. The majestic peak in the background is Mount Kedar (6,940 m).

ajay0612

As a typical Indian parent, I over-planned everything and for every eventuality.
- The medical kit consisted of thermometer, bandages, medicated tape, medicines for fever (Crocin)/loose motion (Entero-Quinol)/muscle relaxtant (Omnigel), knee pads, Diamox (medicine for preventing altitude sickness).
(Only Entero quinol & Diamox was actually required. May take a bit of cotton alongwith medicated tape)

- Umbrellas, thermals, jackets, sweaters, gloves, extra pair of socks, sandals, torches, water bottles, all packed separately in poly-packs, walking sticks.
(Umbrellas were used, jackets and sweaters are a must, sandals could substitute for shoes. A small LED torch is enough.)

- Nuts, Chana Dal, Biscuits, Glucose, Cup, spoons.
(Only a small packet of nuts is enough. Food/ snacks are available along the way.)

- Cameras (Sony R1 for my Son, Canon T1i DSLR with 50mm, 17-50mm, 55-250mm lenses), ND filters, Polarizing filters, Extra batteries, chargers.
(Given a second chance, I would take DSLR with a single lens as changing lens is too much effort for a tired body. Filters are must as there are landscapes and waterfalls worth shooting along the way).

Bookings/Registration
The booking of GMVN Rampur (3 km before Sonprayag from where the 21 Km Kedarnath Journey starts) & GMVN Kedarnath was done from Haridwar (Rahi Motel). We also completed our bio-metric registration (a requirement for Kedarnath Yatra) from Hardwar Railway Station itself. (The registration can be done at Gupt Kashi, Sonprayag also but one has to encounter long queues there.)
We started at around 6:30AM from Haridwar on 24th in my Maruti Ertiga. Early start helped in avoiding the traffic between Haridwar and Rishikesh. We took our Breakfast near Devprayag around 9:00AM. Took Lunch near Chandrapuri (some where in middle of Rdraprayag & Guptkashi) at around 2:00PM. The road was quite good all the way.
IMG_3471.JPG

Somewhere on Rishikesh Bypass

IMG_3472.JPG

On the way to Rudraprayag 1

IMG_3474.JPG

On the way to Rudraprayag 2

IMG_3477.JPG

Ahead of Rudraprayag

IMG_3479.JPG

Mandakini River

IMG_3483.JPG

My son

Last edited:

Cookie

Travel Enthusiast
As a typical Indian parent, I over-planned everything and for every eventuality.
- The medical kit consisted of thermometer, bandages, medicated tape, medicines for fever (Crocin)/loose motion (Entero-Quinol)/muscle relaxtant (Omnigel), knee pads, Diamox (medicine for preventing altitude sickness).
(Only Entero quinol & Diamox was actually required. May take a bit of cotton alongwith medicated tape)

- Umbrellas, thermals, jackets, sweaters, gloves, extra pair of socks, sandals, torches, water bottles, all packed separately in poly-packs, walking sticks.
(Umbrellas were used, jackets and sweaters are a must, sandals could substitute for shoes. A small LED torch is enough.)

- Nuts, Chana Dal, Biscuits, Glucose, Cup, spoons.
(Only a small packet of nuts is enough. Food/ snacks are available along the way.)

- Cameras (Sony R1 for my Son, Canon T1i DSLR with 50mm, 17-50mm, 55-250mm lenses), ND filters, Polarizing filters, Extra batteries, chargers.
(Given a second chance, I would take DSLR with a single lens as changing lens is too much effort for a tired body. Filters are must as there are landscapes and waterfalls worth shooting along the way).

Bookings/Registration
The booking of GMVN Rampur (3 km before Sonprayag from where the 21 Km Kedarnath Journey starts) & GMVN Kedarnath was done from Haridwar (Rahi Motel). We also completed our bio-metric registration (a requirement for Kedarnath Yatra) from Hardwar Railway Station itself. (The registration can be done at Gupt Kashi, Sonprayag also but one has to encounter long queues there.)
We started at around 6:30AM from Haridwar on 24th in my Maruti Ertiga. Early start helped in avoiding the traffic between Haridwar and Rishikesh. We took our Breakfast near Devprayag around 9:00AM. Took Lunch near Chandrapuri (some where in middle of Rdraprayag & Guptkashi) at around 2:00PM. The road was quite good all the way.
View attachment 616614
Somewhere on Rishikesh Bypass

View attachment 616616
On the way to Rudraprayag 1

View attachment 616617 On the way to Rudraprayag 2

View attachment 616620 Ahead of Rudraprayag

View attachment 616621
Mandakini River

View attachment 616622
My son
Lovely

ajay0612

Thanks friends :).

The road after Kund (around 205Km from Haridwar) bifurcates near a bridge. Straight it goes to Ukhimath. Left turn to bridge takes one to Kedarnath through Guptkashi (9Km from Kund). Guptkashi itself offers beautiful views of Chaukhamba Peaks and is worth a days stay. After crossing along the way Phata (from here Helicopters take off for Kedarnath), one reaches Rampur (around 24 Km from Guptkashi). We reached there at around 5:00PM. After taking Tea & Pakoras, we went down to the banks of river Mandakini from behind the GMVN Guest House walking on a well built trail.
IMG_3492.JPG

Mandakini River

IMG_3496.JPG

Ahead of Guptkashi, one can expect to have sneak peek of peaks :). The road is narrow and a bit steep towards Guptkashi. But the hill drivers are cooperative and follow rules. One rarely encounters jams.

IMG_3510 copy.jpg

On the way to Phata

IMG_3509.JPG

The rare broken patch near Phata. The road condition elsewhere was quite good.

IMG_3512 copy.jpg

At the GMVN Guest House Rampur. It has a large parking area and has good huts. Nice place to stay.

IMG_3519 copy.jpg

At the banks of Mandakini river, Lanco was in the process of making a hydro-power plant. The tunnel (under construction) is part of that.

IMG_3525 copy.jpg

Mandakini river (near Rampur).

IMG_3548 copy.jpg

The trail leading to river banks. The huts of GMVN guest house are also visible alongwith its building.

contd.....