Killing Ladakh

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by MrHanjrah, Dec 23, 2018.

?

What is more important?

1. Destroying the nature as described in the video

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Local tourism which is the base of 50% local income of local people.

100.0%
  1. MrHanjrah

MrHanjrah Ex biker

I am in no way against tourism or people going places but what I saw in the following video left me with a thought that what are we going to tell our children about Ladakh in the future?

The last moments in this documentary made me imagine how it would've been in the old days in Ladakh (before 1950s).

I'll let you guys watch and thoughts are welcome.

fispino and adsatinder like this.
  2. adsatinder

adsatinder I am SATINDER at Delhi

Same is with each and every inch of this nation.
    Everything is already changed.
    Politicians are not interested in such foolish acts.
    They have to churn out money by fool making game only.
    It is individual or society's effort that is taking care of such issues.

cat likes this.
  3. nadz11.ns

nadz11.ns Super User

We always gun on tourists for polluting the place and the politicians for not doing enough, when the main problem are the locals who have literally no care for their own place and want to take advantage of the boom as much as possible.

Why always blame the tourists. People like to see such places and for most of those visit the place, it is their first time and will most probably won't be coming back.

cat, adsatinder and jay1973pune like this.
  4. jay1973pune

jay1973pune Traveller .. not only tourist.

Everybody is independent identity. Not everyone is careless, but there are some, So can't blame the tourists only. The locals have to protect their place by identifying the needs and restricting the tourists by doing harm to their place.
    Natives and local authorities must understand that the main attraction of their place is the serenity and virginity. So there must be strong action by them to protect it. Every tourists place in our country is gradually loosing it's serenity by illegal commercial constructions . Everybody need change for their betterment but at what cost ?
    It's like killing the Sone ki ande denewali moorgi . Both of them tourists and natives have to behave responsibly .

Sent from my Redmi Y2 using Tapatalk

adsatinder likes this.
  5. adsatinder

Spiti Valley Is Highlighting Plastic Menace With This Unique Art Installation Made With Discarded PET Bottles
    Discarded plastic bottles have been put to good use with this unique art installation made from plastic pet bottles that reads ‘I pledge to say no to plastic bottled water in Spiti’
    Himachal Pradesh, Plastic Waste

|
    Written By: Anisha Bhatia | Edited By: Sonia Bhaskar

| October 13, 2017 12:06 PM |

[​IMG]
    Image Courtesy: Shivya Nath's Facebook Page

New Delhi:
    Spiti Valley in Himachal Pradesh – a traveller’s paradise has now one more attraction in its kitty and that’s the life-size art installation made from discarded plastic bottles and wrappers that travellers leave behind while visiting the valley. The installation has been put up by a 29-year-old travel blogger, Shivya Nath, and few other volunteers who spent 3 weeks in the valley last month in a bid to raise awareness about the harmful environmental consequences of using plastic water bottles in Spiti, that’s regarded as an eco-sensitive high altitude mountain desert. The idea behind the art installation that reads ‘I love Spiti’ was simple, just like all around the world, people take photographs with “I Love New York” and “I Love Amsterdam”, the volunteers decided to join the bandwagon and make “I Love Spiti” art installation, but, with a twist. The Green volunteers unveiled the masterpiece last month at 12,000+ feet in Kaza, the administrative capital in collaboration with Ecosphere, a social enterprise that emphasises on eco conservation, responsible mountain travel and adventure.

Also Read: This Nature Photographer’s Seahorse Click Shows All That Is Going Wrong With Our Planet

Instead of drinking “Himalayan” water bottled in the plains – which leeches chemicals if buried, reused or burnt – we can refill our bottles with filtered real Himalayan water across hotels in Kaza and homestays in the upper villages, says Shivya Nath in a Facebook post.

As per the research done by these volunteers, an estimated 3,00,000 plastic bottles are dumped in Spiti every season.

View image on Twitter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Shivya [email protected]

We estimate that 3,00,000+ plastic bottles are dumped in Spiti every year. Hope this artwork inspires travellers to stop using them!#india

11:15 AM - Sep 13, 2017

305 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

In the absence of recycling centre in the valley, the only option there is to burn and bury the PET bottles, but, the harmful chemicals in plastic bottles can affect the groundwater and soil. So, to drive home this point, the Swachh volunteers built this thought-provoking masterpiece.

Also Read: Plastic Ban: What India Can Learn From Other Countries

Apart from the art installation, the volunteers are hoping to have a sizeable number of hotels, restaurants and cafes across Kaza equipped with water filters and filter-fitted bottles, to cut down on bottled water use. They also hope that by next season Spiti will have cute sign boards made with discarded plastic bottles indicating water refill stations, and posters that reveal shocking facts about plastic bottled water.

[​IMG]
    Green volunteers at work
    Image Courtesy: Shivya Nath’s Facebook Page

Spiti Valley Is Highlighting Plastic Menace With This Unique Art Installation Made With Discarded PET Bottles | Plastic Waste

jay1973pune and MrHanjrah like this.
  6. MrHanjrah

MrHanjrah Ex biker

@nadz11.ns I am not blaming anybody here (specially tourists), just trying to see/foresee what the tourists think about the current condition and what it would be in the next 50 years. As with all other tourist places, most tourists don't care about the destination environment (We all drink water, how many of us drink it and take the water bottles with us instead of dumping out of the window of our car/taxi). I say *most* and not all.

@adsatinder You are right bhaji that locals are to blame for not taking care of their land; but again tourists coming in means more transportation, which leads to more and more carbon foot print. What I think needs to be done here is to limit the number of tourists that can arrive their each season; something like Bhutan did to preserve their environment. This can be achieved but locals and the authorities needs to play a role here. But as you correctly said, "Politicians are not interested in such foolish acts. They have to churn out money by fool making game only."

7. adsatinder

Around 30 years ago I was in contact with an NGO in South Delhi.
    Their aim was to develop local economy and do not depend on a Nation's & World Economy.
    They were thinking and trying to work for this aim practically.

Now there may be such few NGO's only left to think about this.
    Population Explosion is seen everywhere.
    Around year 2000 there were No good housings in rural areas and even in 2md and 3rt tier city had single story buildings.
    I was not able to see even Pucca Structures for kms in hills or plains on highways !
    Check now.
    Everything is changed.
    Economy is dependent on International products only.
    Petroleum Products are reason of major International trade deficit in most countries.
    Things changed in last 20 years.
    You can see Car everywhere.
    When we were kid, only few or couple of cars were seen in our locality.
    Now in every corner, you can see the cars.
    Recently a person got car on installment !
    What is new in it ?
    He paid Rs. 11K ONLY !
    LOL !
    (Don't ask me how !)
    This is how Car Companies are selling cars !
    He is exploring new territories now on his company fitted CNG Car !
    Who was limited to only Regular Hill Stations !

I explored alot in my childhood.
    Only available transport was a cycle.
    I explored with it in our locality and nearby 20 to 30km mostly.
    Roads were bad or No Roads were there and traffic was on same road from both sides on highways.
    When I got access to a Scooter / Motor Cycle, I was able to explore few hundred kms.
    When I got access to 4 wheeler, 20 years ago,
    then I explored few thousands km or more.
    But, Now I like to trek more instead of moving only on a transport.

Here on this forum, we have a member who knows a legend, who explored Ladakh in 1975 on his scooter.
    He is still going there every summer for a whole month !
    (I didn't mentioned, He is in Teaching job.)
    (Don't kill me !)
    Shhhh......
    Many other explorers were exploring Manali and ahead in search of the urge to find something new on 2 wheelers !
    Around 1996 a member went to Ladakh via Manali on his car without knowing anything or any preparation !
    I will not mention them as they may kill me to put it here !

We have a good record on BCMT.

World is changing with time.
    New Challenges are appearing.
    So the urge to explore is getting into New Dimensions.
    You can check legends who explored lesser known territories in India earlier are exploring in nearby or far countries that too in extreme weather conditions !
    Check Youtubers exploring to the extreme !

It is human urge to explore !
    LOL !

If can't believe me check any toddler !
    New Generation has much more urge to explore !
    Check urge to go out of home !
    LOL !

If Land is explored fully then they will start to explore in Deep Sea too.
    Deep Ocean is still untouched.
    Sorry !
    I am not giving any idea to them.
    Close your eyes and forget what is typed above !
    LOL !

Space is also left after Deep Ocean !
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

Things will certainly change.
    No matter what we think.
    Challenges will appear and so the solutions too.

Be hopeful for the best !

jay1973pune and MrHanjrah like this.
  8. Theloststory

Theloststory Active Member

Couple of thing here.

Firstly locals, “natives” as someone pointed out, are generally far less exposed to topics like pollution and aesthetics.
    Example: I was in rural Himachal and taking pictures of a beautiful hundreds of year old stone and wood house. The owner came out and told me “why are you taking these pictures, it’s an old house, I will break it this year and make a nice concrete house”.
    Local people have less exposure, less education, less travelled to really understand how grave some issues are. Heck, they are using pesticides in their farms, when we in urban areas pay a premium to buy products without pesticides (which are generally grown by rich urba people in modern “organic farms”). So when a tourist junks a local place, the local people don’t understand the depth of what happened.

Secondly, as someone pointed out, humans by nature will explore. But there must be self imposed and socially/imposed restrictions. Visas are restrictions on exploring travel. Adolescent humans want to sexually explore as well but there are social, legal and moral restrictions. We want to financially explore as well but there are social, legal restrictions on that as well. These restrictions are implemented with gusto.

There are social and legal restrictions on trashing a place as well, but these are not implemented. I have seen people washing trucks on river banks with all the goo and harmful oils and chemicals being washed into the pure waters of the Beas. There are laws against this. But there are as yet no social and moral restrictions and the locals lack awareness. No one complains. Someone told me, “but can’t you drink river water, flowing water is pure isn’t it” I sad “yes but if 100 meters upstream s9meone is shitting diarrhoea, the flowing water brings the shit to you”.

“Flowing water is pure water”, this is the awareness locals have. They think their trash is the downstream village’s problem. Many don’t even think. They just trash.

Tourists trash a lot. I have seen people thrown plastic bottles out of moving cars. They go to Spiti and Ladakh and expect showers and laundry. No one explained to them it’s a dry desert? Unaware locals struggle to provide because its a livelihood for them. Government builds a water pipe. Locals and tourists assume water is available. It isn’t. We are in shit state. Fresh Water is a deep deep issue. Not just in Ladakh but also in Bangalore. Delhi, Mumbai. pune. I read somewhere Maharashtra has the largest number of water reservoirs in India but water is a problem in Mumbai.

Every year, the building next to mine in Mumbai ruins its entire swimming pool with Holi colours. How I hate it. They seem to be rich and “educated” people. Those apartments are damn expensive. But there is no enforced legal and social restriction. Not imposed. But a boy and girl sitting holding hands in a park is problem. Destroying a swimming pool of water with chemicals and trashing it un processed into our oceans it seems is the done thing, but love is not.

That’s how we are. Humans NEED governance because without that there would be anarchy. Religion was invented to control humans. Then governance was. Then social restrictions and all tried to govern trashy human behaviour. But still humans are trashy.

All we can do is shame the people who trash. Not young couples who hold hands. Shame the people who write their names on monuments. And trees. Shame the people who expect a swimming pool ruined every year for Holi. Shame the people who expect jacuzzi in Jaisalmer. Shame the people who do not carry reusable water bottles. Shame the companies whose water bottles are seen ruining our home planet. Shame to a point where people will not want to be seen trashing. Write about this on social media as much as you can. These trashy people consume and lot of social media. If every other post talks of a shameful behaviour it becomes part of societal norm. That’s what we can do.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    fispino, MrHanjrah and adsatinder like this.
  9. MrHanjrah

MrHanjrah Ex biker

Theloststory likes this.
  10. adsatinder

Check This,
    India was like this only
    Once upon a time !

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019