Kolkata, Agra, Delhi, Shimla, Manali from Bangladesh

Discussion in 'Travelogues' started by masud, May 15, 2013.

1. masud

masud Member

It was my honeymoon tour and I was the first time in India. We started our Journey from Dhaka at 11.00 PM on 18th October, 2012. We reached at Benapole/Horidaspur border at 7.00am, 19th Oct. It took around 2 hours to complete the custom's official work to get us giving permission for visiting in India. I should say here one point, my grandfather lived in Indian part when the subcontinent was unified under British rule and that is why I had a long desire to travel in India.

We got on the bus at 9.00am from Haridaspur for Kolkata. It was the time of Durga Puja in Kolkata, so traffic was very high on the roads. Our bus stuck at different locations on the road in traffic and we reached at the hotel at around 1.0 pm. After taking bath we went into a restaurant for our lunch. It should be mentioned here that the food we ordered for our lunch was very delicious. I should tell the name of the restaurant, the name of the restaurant was "Kasturi". It was near the Kolkata new market. We went into the new market for some shopping after finishing lunch. We brought some dresses from Kolkata new market. It seemed to me that the dress price was cheaper in Kolkata than Dhaka. When we returned to hotel after finishing shopping, it was night and we went into bed immediately to take some rest after a long journey from Dhaka.

We woke up very early in the morning next day. Me and my wife went to Victoria Memorial in the morning but we did not know when would the memorial be opened for public. We arrived at Victoria Memorial at around 8.00 am and it was 2 hours due to be opened the memorial for public. We took some pictures at the garden of Victoria Memorial.

Me in front of the Victoria Memorial

In Front of Victoria Memorial(1).jpg

3.jpg

My wife in front of the Victoria Memorial

2.jpg

4.jpg

Victoria Memorial From outside wall

5.jpg

In the Garden

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

More to follow.....

2. hiambuj

hiambuj Moderator Staff Member

Masud, fantastic entry to the forum.

3. masud

masud Member

From Previous page......

We went to collect our train ticket at Fairlie Place after we had finished with the Victoria Memorial. We collected the ticket from Delhi to Kalka and Kalka to Shimla from Fairlie place. I should share a bit information about the Fairlie place with the Bangladeshi tourist who are planning to visit India. Fairlie place in Kolkata is a location from where one can get train tickets for visiting any part of India. I did not know about the Fairlie Place and we got trapped by a local tourist agency when we reached Kolkata. We had to take the ticket of Kolkata to Agra from him, and he demanded more than twice of original ticket price. It was a ticket on a special train from Howrah to Delhi.

We got back to the hotel after collecting the tickets from Fairlie Place. It was around 3.30 PM when we got back to the hotel, and our train schedule was 5.00 PM from Howrah. So, we were in a bit hurry when we reached the hotel. We took baths with very fast and went to catch the train.

But it was a great surprise waiting for us in the Howrah station. When we reached the station, we could hear people are telling with each other that the special is 17 hours late. We come to know the bitter truth from the information desk that the train would be 17 hours late. I mentioned earlier that it was Durga Puja at that time in Kolkata. It was very difficult to find a ticket for going out the Kolkata. Moreover I was the first time in India with my just married wife. I did not know even how to collect tickets from station counter. I can not express my feeling how bad I felt at that time. It was a hopeless situation. We thought that we could not be able to get out of Kolkata.

We were wondering hopelessly around the station, and my wife was blaming me for not traveling with a travel company. At that time we found a man of my age who was also a passenger on that late train. His name was Anup. He lives in Kolkata because of his job but his home is in Vanarasi . He was going home on Durga Puja. We come to know from him that there is one train to Ajmer from Sealdah station at 11.00 PM and he was planning to go with that train. He also told us that we have to book waiting tickets for travelling on that train. We did not know how to give the tickets return and book waiting tickets. He helped a lot. We collected waiting tickets from Howrah station for Sealdah-Ajmer express. It was around 7.00 pm when we left for the Sealdah station.

Anup was also with us. It was like that we were travelling in a group. But it was a few minutes back, we did not ever saw him. It was getting dark around us and we were a group of three people and struggling to find a way to get out of Kolkata on Durga Puja.
    I hid the meaning of waiting ticket from my wife deliberately. She thought that we were going to get slipper easily . But it was not that easy. Actually we had no way. We could stay in Kolkata one more day but we had already collected our onward tickets. So staying in Kolkata was not possible. Moreover our time was limited because of Eid on 27th October. We wanted to get back to our country before Eid.

When we reached at the Sealdah Station it was around 9.00PM. We took our dinner at the Sealdah station. My wife ordered two Panjabi Biriyani for us. We had one and half hour to spend before the train come. We were waiting for the huddle to get seats. By this time we already knew that we had not been allotted a single seat from the waiting category. We all were waiting to test our luck and for the TT. Anup was saying that TT sometimes helps managing seats for Women. I was thinking that I may try to travel twenty hours standing but my wife.

The train arrived minutes before 11.00 PM. The people who did not get seats were approaching to the TT. Firstly it was a festival season , secondly a train at the Howrah station was 17 hours late, so you can easily imagine how crowded was the platform. And we lost Anup immediately as soon as the train had come. We were even struggling to find a TT, talking with them to manage a seat for my wife was a bleak dream. Me and my wife were running on the platform but the running could not reward us with a single seat. There were a lot of people searching for seats. We lost in the competition!
    It was 11.00 PM when the train started to move slowly but we were yet to get a seat in the train. When the train was moving away , we felt that our dream was also moving away with the train. Then we decided to get on the train taking a risk that we would search for the seats after getting on the train. We stood in the space between the two compartments after getting on the train. It started to shake as soon as the train started to move fast. It was the climax point of our honeymoon. My wife almost started to cry. It was a very very sad feeling, it was a completely hopeless situation, it was inexplicable! I told my wife that “please wait here and let me search in the compartment. “ I left her for searching a seat in the compartment. I started asking people for seats after entering into a compartment, and God helped with his best immediately. We got not a seat, we got two for us. Then we traveled all the way to Agra without any problem. One point we had to give only eighty rupees to TT for cementing those two seats against our name.
    There was a very nice family around us on the train, we gossiped, we played cards with them. It was a very entertaining twenty five hour train journey. We were trying to see outside thru the train window to check the atmosphere against our country.

When we reached Agra, it was 12.00 AM. We hired a taxi and asked him to take us to a hotel. The name of the taxi was Amir. Amir took us to a nice hotel. We went into deep sleep taking a light dinner on that night.

It was 22th October morning when we woke up in the early morning. We dressed up quickly to see the Taj Mahal. We discovered that Amir was waiting for us outside of the hotel though we did not tell him to come. He took us to a restaurant for breakfast. We ordered for Allu Parata and Allur Dam. It was so delicious that it was our breakfast of the tour. After Breakfast went to Taj Mahal and Agra fort. Some pictures below.....

Looking at outside thru Window

1(1).jpg

Entering into the Taj

2(2).jpg

At Taj Mahal's Garden

3(3).jpg

4(4).jpg

5(5).jpg

6(6).jpg

7(7).jpg

8(8).jpg

9(9).jpg

10(10).jpg

11(11).jpg

12(12).jpg

13(13).jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

41.jpg

At Agra Fort

37.jpg

38.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

To be continue...

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  4. hiambuj

hiambuj Moderator Staff Member

Wonderful pics Masud.

5. kprixie

kprixie Active Member

Congratulations on your wedding Masud. unique honeymoon for sure from Bangladesh to shimla. am glad your train problems were all sorted in the end. hope you had a wonderful stay in India. nice log.....waiting for more....

6. piyush0401

piyush0401 Active Member

Wonderful Pics Masud...nice log :)

7. masud

masud Member

We started our journey to Delhi from Agra after we had completed with the Taj Mahal and the Agra fort at 3.00PM. Our train was at 9.00 PM from Delhi to Kalka. We reached Delhi at exactly 9.00 PM. We were very tensed if we could catch the train or not. But fortunately the train was an hour late. We took our dinner at the old Delhi Station. We got on the train (Kalka mail) to go to Kalka, and we reached in Kalka at 5.00AM. We had tickets on a toy train for going to Shimla from Kalka. The toy train left the Kalka Station at 6.00 AM for Shimla. The journey on the toy train was wonderful , there were 102 tunnels on the rail track and many bridges. The journey was absolutely magical on the toy train. It was a five hour journey , and it never stopped surprising us.

We found another Bengali family on the toy train, they were very helpful. They helped us booking a hotel room in Shimla. Actually we went to the same hotel, they had booked.

The name of the hotel was Rama Palace.It was at a bit far from the Mall Road. The hotel was relatively cheaper (RS 800) but the room was nice and the scenic view was fantastic . We took a bath immediately after we had arrived at the hotel. Then we went outside to see the beauty of of Shimla. We were amazed by the natural beauty in Shimla. But if I single out only one thing then it must be the night in Shimla was most amazing.

Standing before the toy train

44.jpg

45.jpg

At Borag Tunnel

46.jpg

47.jpg

In Shimla

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

8. masud

masud Member

Thank you

9. masud

masud Member

When we returned back at the hotel from the Mall, it was night then. We collected the tickets on the HRTC bus for going Manali from Shimla. We went into bed immediately after taking our dinner at the hotel.

I should say something about the north Indian food. We did not like it the food actually. I think no Bengali would like the north Indian food. They use a different kind of spices. We could eat “Chana and Cauliflower “among the curries we ordered for our dinner.

We left the hotel at 7’o clock next morning and we got on the bus at 8’o clock. The scenery was very pretty all the way to Manali. The Beas river and deep gorge were amazed us most of the way. We enjoyed them through the window of the bus.

We introduced ourself to Dr. Tanmoy sir’s family on the bus. They were Bengali and we gossiped a lot with them. We had become close enough to travel together when we reached Manali. So, we decided to hire a car for sight seeing in Manali.

We reached in Manali in the evening . We booked a room at Hotel Beas. The Hotel was on the bank of the Beas river. After taking some rest in the hotel we went into the market for some shopping. Manali was very cold though it was just the middle of October.

We came to know that Hotel Beas has taxi service for sightseeing tour. We hired a Travera for our trip to Rohtang pass. We started our journey to the Rohtang pass at 7’o clock in the next morning. We picked Dr. Tanmoy sir’s family from their hotel. Then we went to the Rohtang pass. The Journey was an epic one. I can only explain them by Pictures….

0.jpg

1.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

2.jpg

20.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

We were very lucky that we found thick snow in October. It is not very usual as we heard from the people.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  10. EnglishAugust

EnglishAugust a disguised dancer

Fatafati!

Congratulations and every happiness to both of you.