Kolkata to New Delhi via NH 2 and Yamuna Expressway

Discussion in 'Road Status' started by seadragonvivek, Aug 7, 2013.

1. seadragonvivek

seadragonvivek Drop a gear and Disappear

Hello Fellow BCMTians,
    i am planning a road trip from kolkata to new delhi and further to leh and ladakh. can anyone tell me about the road conditions from Kolkata to new delhi? what is the condition of NH 2 till Agra?
    Thanks

2. noidea

noidea Active Member

3. seadragonvivek

Thanks a ton Saab.. waise apko noidea bulane mein thoda ajeeb lagta hai.. can i know ur good name please?

4. anupam1407

anupam1407 The Wandering Soul

Vivekbhai, I did route recently about a month back. I will mention section wise road info below:
    Kolkata - Burdwan: Excellent, durgapur expressway rocks
    Burdwan - Asansol: Major bottleneck is panagarh, otherwise good road, but with occasional pothole/bad patch
    Asansol - Barhi: Good road generally occasionaly find some undulations/ruts on the road due to heavy truck movement.
    Barhi - Dehri : good road, no issues
    Dehri : Allahabad bypass beginning: Undulations and ruts can be found, heavy traffic zone
    Allahabad - Kanpur (thru bypass - 80KM long): excellent and empty road.
    Kanpur bypass: nice flyover for 35-40 km
    Kanpur - Agra: local traffic, undulations/ruts on road
    Agra to Delhi : Absolute fun to drive on YEH :)

If you need any other information, do ping me.

Regards,
    Anupam.

adsatinder and Sam231276 like this.
  5. seadragonvivek

Thanks Anupam bhai.. this is valuable information as i will be riding alone from Kolkata to delhi.. i am planning the first stopover to be at Dehri.. next night would be at Kanpur and the successive night ill be in delhi.. or else i can do Kol- Varanasi on day 1 and Varanasi- Delhi on day 2.. do u think its going to be too ambitious? and is it safe to ride alone at night in Bihar, UP? coz i was wanting to do an endurance test and ride directly to delhi..
    thanks again!

6. anupam1407

anupam1407 The Wandering Soul

No kolkata - varanasi is not at all ambitious.
    If you start early from kolkata, you can easily reach varanasi by evening 5-6. And for your info I did sonepat to aurangabad in one day. Left sonepat at around 5:30 in morning and reached aurangabad at around 9:30 pm. Two days are more than enough for ccu-del drive

- - - Updated - - -

Riding alone in up can be bit problem, althogh not sure, recently one of my friend rode till Mughalsarai from bhubaneswar in one day. He reached mughalsarai at 10PM and he did not face any problem. May be UP BCMTians can elaborate on night riding in UP scene.

7. seadragonvivek

I did kolkata siliguri which comes to about 650 kms in 18.5 hrs.. but the road was back breaking and it was the Durga Puja time. As per your information, the NH 2 is in a fairly good condition throughout except for heavy traffic in the Dehri-Allahabad sector. If i can endure it, i ll try to hit delhi in one go! although the riding time would be significant, i am prepared for it mentally. The only thing that worries me a bit is that i don't want to loose all my stuff on the way at night somewhere in UP and catch a train back to kolkata.:grin:
    BTW i ride a Classic 500 and im looking at an average speed of 65 with a stoppage time of 15/30 mins every 150 kms. That brings me to Varanasi by 2000 hrs.Ill still be having 600 kms between me and Agra on NH2 through UP. Which is quite a challenge.

8. seadragonvivek

A quick update. I did a short run on the NH2 from Kolkata to Dumri a couple of days back in my Indica Vista. The road is in good condition just outside Kolkata for a good 90 kms till Burdawan.
    There are few bad patches on both the sides though. Panagarh as usual is a pain. The road approaching Panagarh on both sides is in bad shape though repair work has commenced. Durgapur to Asansol is quite decent but the traffic is a menace. There are road barricades in between which come onto you all of a sudden. So be careful while overtaking.
    Asansol onwards to Dumri is in pristine condition except for a very few patches of broken/potholed road. The post monsoon greenery is a great relief from the city life.

I will be commencing my real journey on 20th August at 5am to avoid the traffic in the Durgapur- Asansol sector. Although i am a bit skeptical about how Indra devata will behave on that particular day. I hope he stays indoors!
    My route chart is as follows:
    Day 1- Kolkata( 0500 hrs) - Panagarh - Dumri - Dehri - Varanasi(2100 hrs)
    Day 2- Relax and enjoy with the banarsi thaggs
    Day 3 - Varanasi (0500 hrs) - Allahabad -Kanpur - Etawah - Agra - New Delhi ( 2200 hrs)

Ill be posting pics and providing information on a regular basis through this trip depending on my internet connection.

Cheers!

9. Sandeep Dhawan

Sandeep Dhawan The Contrarian!

How is the road between Kanpur and Agra. Is it as good as Allahabad - Kanpur expressway?

10. suyash_tripathi

suyash_tripathi Active Member

Kanpur-Agra is all excellent 4 lane toll road. Expect some heavy traffic in this stretch. All the big city and towns have been bypassed except few like Firozabad.