KTM Duke 200 - Specs are out!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle News' started by Vikas the Shokeen biker, Nov 9, 2011.

1. shireesh

shireesh Member

If it goes on the higher side in India coz of the import duties,
    you will have to get those from Kuwait in d next meet......;)

2. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

Not really, there just enough space to fit dual purpose tyres, without first removing the mud guards and even then, a 150mm dual sport tyre is going to be plenty of heavy and will bring down the performance. Add to that, I doubt that the radiator is all that protected from mud spray of the front tyre.

Is Stefan Fierer, CEO of KTM credible enough source for you?

3. ebonho

ebonho Banned

Yogesh, that sounds like splitting hairs bro. Which Indian bike as per you would suit the role better (I'm assuming your distaste for Bullets continues :))? There is a ton of stuff one can do very easily (and relatively cheaply) to this bike to make it ride the pants off anything else this side of 3 Lacs in the market today - on any terrain. But that is only my opinion on what I see and read without ever having ridden this bike yet.

Definitely - if you can show me where he said this? Or was it in a personal chat? Is it where he said something about a new launch every few months?

I'm asking because of your specific reference to a "higher capacity model this year" - which got me all excited.

It would seriously impact the upgrade decision of many who already ride bikes with similar or close performance specs but currently do not see any other option but to wait for 1+ years for the 350.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  4. torque

torque Active Member

Another question Yogesh.... Is the saddle height manageable for someone like me, five feet five?

5. AMG

AMG Banned

Hero Impulse?

6. ebonho

ebonho Banned

Thin conventional (Ceriani type) forks. Very rudimentary non-adjustable rear mono-shock. Rear drum brake. Partially bigger fuel tank at 12 liters. Performance in totally another playing field. Conventional chassis. The wired wheels are a plus though.

For most of us not in the north, reaching the mountains entails a couple of thousand kilometers of plains to reach there.

I would prefer something a lot faster.

7. AMG

AMG Banned

Impulse with a ZMA engine retrofitted?

8. ebonho

ebonho Banned

All of the same still hold.

In fact, bike to bike, the Impulse except for performance is superior to the ZMA as a dual-purpose.

Duke 200 (26 bhp) with a Duke 690 (70 bhp) retrofitted? Same chassis, so .... :p

9. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

I don’t like modifications, even though my 180 does have a few of them. As far as which Indian Bike suits the bill goes, well at the moment, if I have to buy a bike for touring, especially for Himalayas and Ladakh, it will likely be another Pulsar 180! Though there is a fair bit of chance that Bajaj Auto is going to launch the 200 once again, Bajaj to launch 2012 Pulsar this month! | Indiaon2wheels

It was during the Media Q&A round with Rajiv Bajaj and Stefan Fierer, after the launch of 200 Duke. Where he also divulged their plans to bring out a 350cc bike next year, KTM to launch 350cc Duke | Indiaon2wheels

Only posting what I heard him and Rajiv say, so no specific model or time frame info, apart from what I mentioned already.

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Oh yes, as for what I think of the 200 Duke, have a look here Back from KTM 200 Duke Launch

10. ebonho

ebonho Banned

Thanks Yogesh, your links were most helpful.

So what you are saying is "Mr. Stefan Fierer also hinted that a faired version of KTM 200 Duke might be on the cards as well along with higher capacity motorcycles, which KTM is planning to bring to India soon."

Still can't find anyplace where it says a new higher capacity model this year?

Sorry for continuing to beat this dead horse, but "soon" is pretty open ended based on our experience of manufacturers.

"This year" on the other hand, even considering most of the year is still spread before us, at least has a sense of closure.

So which is it? It may be the difference between me (and others I'm sure) going ahead and booking the 200 or waiting.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

You do realize that even if the new 200 Pulsar is approx. 90K as most people expect, and even assuming it has the same KTM 200 engine albeit air cooled, just the extra high end suspension in the KTM itself would retail after-market at 25-30K?

Unless its really fierce brand loyalty?!!! :p