Kumaon, finally happened

Discussion in 'Travelogues from North India' started by Rohit Kothari, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Rohit Kothari

Rohit Kothari Well-Known Member

It had been almost an year since I headed towards mountains. Work had been keeping me away from my favorite places. The "chul" was building up and I was looking forward to any reason to head to mountains. There was a new acquisition - ecosport after the honda fiasco. It had been bought with the idea of taking it up to mountains more often without worrying about the ground clearance. This built up the "chul" even more. There was a full fledged attempt to score a 2 weeks leave from office to go to Leh, but with a recent sell off and restructuring that request wasn't even entertained.
    Just when I thought I was in deep dark tunnel, I saw a ray of light. My parents along with my nephew and neice were to visit me for some days. Somehow, their mention to higher ups in office got me 2 days off :)... And I decided to use it to go to himalayas. Although parents were a bit reluctant, but I combine my leaves with a sat and sun and now I had 4 days to explore. Too less in my opinion, but then this is what I had. So I thought to make the full use of it.
    Kumaon had been on my list for quite some time, but somehow I was never able to venture into this area.
    KMVN properties were quickly checked and available properties were booked in Dinapani(Binsar) and Chaukori.

Trip Dates - 15-18 June (Initially planned)
    At first the plan was to start on 15th morning, but keeping in mind that had 2 kids aged 12 and 7 , I decided to start on 14th evening to take it easy the next day.

Day 0
    Started from home in Greater Noida at around 4.30, joined NH24 near crossings republic and continued on it to pass Hapur, Moradabad and then towards Rampur. Since it was already dark decided not to take the suar baazpur route and decided to stick to Rampur- Rudrapur route. The potholed roads were not completely repaired but atleast they were filled so it wasn't that bumpy. Truck traffic was an issue, but it was manageable. We reached Pantnagar where we were to retire for the day by 11.30 and went off to sleep. 7 hrs from Gr Noida to Pantnagar included a 50 min dinner break and a couple of pee breaks.

As per the traditions, some teasers.
    20170615_174427.jpg

20170615_185740.jpg

20170615_190111.jpg

20170615_191052.jpg

20170615_191139.jpg

20170616_185615.jpg

20170617_075907.jpg

2. umeshparikh

umeshparikh Active Member

Nice start Rohitbhai...

3. Rohit Kothari

Thanks Umesh bhai ..

umeshparikh likes this.
  4. Alpha

Alpha Going to Neverland

nice teasers !!

5. Gaurav Dutt

Gaurav Dutt Shivoham Shivoham

kaha thay dost!
    gajab trip

6. Rohit Kothari

Thanks.... Will soon update more.
    Gaurav bhai, I would say I was being consumed by life. But hoping to be more regular contributor here.

Gaurav Dutt likes this.
  7. adsatinder

adsatinder I am SATINDER at Delhi

Great Chul !
    Great Start !

8. aps

aps Well-Known Member

Perfect start
    nice teasers
    waiting for updates

9. Rohit Kothari

Great response !
    Great comments !
    :p:p:p

Coming up shortly.

adsatinder likes this.
  10. Rohit Kothari

Part 2

Before I start next part, let me inform that all the pics are taken from phone cam. My dslr was borrowed by my friend for sometime and this trip happened all of a sudden before my friend could return.
    But anyways, I was more than happy to get a chance to get out of Delhi heat and get on mountains.

We had planned to take an early start at around 7 from pantnagar but that never happened. Precious time was spent in finding my wife's phone, which we thought was either lost or stolen, but after around 1 hr of searching every nook and corner of both the rooms, all the baggage and car, it was found lying in silent mode and had somehow found its way in a small crevice between bed and wall. Once the phone was found, it was time to get ready and hit the road, which we finally did at around 9. Stopped a little before Haldwani for a longish breakfast. More time was wasted in negotiating Haldwani city traffic. As we approached Kathgodam railway station , I could start seeing hills and was feeling ecstatic already.

We took a right turn towards Bhimtal and started the ascend. There was lot of traffic as vacation season was still on. Somehow meandering the way through traffic and taking a couple of breaks we crossed Bhimtal in a couple of hours. There was loads of traffic so did not stop and took the bypass to join the road to Almora. We took the Bhowali -Ramgarh-Mukteshwar road to reach Almora by 4 PM. We had a heavy break fast so did not stop for lunch anywhere. Took a small tea break just while entering Almora. Asked about the route to Dinapani, to which I was told to keep on outskirts/bypass and not enter the town. It had started raining by the time we finished tea break.
    Rains were heavy for some period and after that it turned into drizzle. We reached TRH dinapani at around 5.45. It was still drizzling and there werent much views. Some tea and pakoda were the need of the hour. While we savored the pakoras and tea, the rain subsided and weather started to clear up, although not completely but enough to give us some sneak peek into Nanda Devi. After long session of photographs, masti and a round of cards we had our dinner and called it a day.

Weather started to clear up

20170615_174421.jpg

TRH - Dinapani, around 18 kms short of Binsar is a basic place. Rooms on top floor are okay. The ones on lower floors are in bad shape due to bad maintenance. But you get nice views.
    20170615_175816.jpg

weather cleared up to give us this view
    20170615_185206.jpg

Snowed out peaks were now visible thought not very clearly. Badly missed the dslr here
    20170615_185230.jpg

20170615_185258.jpg

20170615_190135.jpg

Witnessed a beautiful sunset
    20170615_190250.jpg

Nanda Devi peaks were still playing hide and seek.
    20170615_190623.jpg