Angry baba - intensely furious - no he is at peace within himself and also with the crowd around him

Lol this is within minutes of the above photo - this is why I said he is at peace

Whats inside the chelum I cannot tell this time but in the last kumbh it was charas and they all had lots of charas sticks with them and were openly using it

Privileged one - carrying the trishul of the akhara

Spot the demure lady in orange - she is Yog Mata Keiko Aikawa from Japan one of the few female Mahamandaleshwars and that too non Indian

He is a character or a sadhu I do not know but I am seeing him him for the last 3 kumbhs in the same attire and same pose- the way he bends backwards at this age puts me at shame

Finally I got her to look at me - Yog Mata Keiko Aikawa - hum pe bhi drishti pad hi gayee - hope to benefit some yogic powers :lol:

Turbans turbans every where colourful turbans

Rose petals being showered on the naga babas - we mortals caught a few on our heads too

Evening sets in - the day comes to and end but not the mela - its just woken up after a siesta - all the big babas have opened their langars for the pilgrims and smaller babas and workers

Its Mela area up to the last light you see on top - and its much much much beyond on left and right side that you cannot see - nearly 15-20 kms from left to right - the area must be around 45 sq km

Last edited:
Amazing shots Rambo, great captures of such an historical event.
I visited the last Kumbh in 2013 and took a lot of advice from you. I always remain thankful to you for it.
In 2001 Kumbha Mela i remember seeing Yog Mata Keiko Aikawa on TV, she had taken underground samadhi for many days, if im not wrong she is a disciple of Pilot baba.

I have booked tickets of Prayag on 27th Feb, but probably will have to cancel them as im not keeping good health, therefore your photos mean so much, please
do try to post more photos of the events, the markets, and also a small book fair, they say, going on within the Kumbha Mela.

Amazing shots Rambo, great captures of such an historical event.
I visited the last Kumbh in 2013 and took a lot of advice from you. I always remain thankful to you for it.
In 2001 Kumbha Mela i remember seeing Yog Mata Keiko Aikawa on TV, she had taken underground samadhi for many days, if im not wrong she is a disciple of Pilot baba.

I have booked tickets of Prayag on 27th Feb, but probably will have to cancel them as im not keeping good health, therefore your photos mean so much, please
do try to post more photos of the events, the markets, and also a small book fair, they say, going on within the Kumbha Mela.
Yes sir you are right she is a disciple of Pilot Baba - very humble looking lady

I was very sad with my photographs most of them were washed out or out of focus - something was wrong I could not pinpoint the problem - next day I inspected the camera and lens and found that two of the lenses had fungus or some white powdry stuff in the center of the lens - took a break and opened both units and took out the front lens element and washed them with transparent hand wash and then cleaned them with isopropyl and packed up the lens hoping to get good images. And the lens were working fine

===== Why cannot I insert images like earlier by pressing the "INSERT IMAGE" icon =====

New day - same biting cold - early hours 4 am - new people rushing to take a dip - same akharas same babas and same excitement for the shahi snan as on mauni amavasya
kumbh at night 66.jpg

Ganga is flowing peacefully but with a force. The pontoon bridge or the peepa ka pul has been closed for public as Akharas will be coming from this bridge. The peace is visible in the photo but its very hectic on the other side and also behind me the photographer - huge crowd is moving towards the sangam area.
kumbh at night 68.jpg

On the other side i.e Jhunsi side the babas are busy preparing for the holy dip while common man is already inside the ganga cleansing his misdeeds at 4am
kumbh at night 67.jpg

Lol I missed the Akharas landing from the above bridge as above mentioned bridge was for returning, the plans had changed for them but I had to run to the other bridge. Got delayed and the babas had come off the bridge already.

Policemen on horse back leading the Akharas towards the Sangam area
kumbh at night 69.jpg

The sadhus in saffron are the Kotwals, the mahants from various other maths that lead the akhara followed by the naga babas and then the mahamandaleshwars who ride the raths
kumbh at night 70.jpg

The drummers lead the nagas
kumbh at night 71.jpg

kumbh at night 75.jpg

kumbh at night 73.jpg

kumbh at night 74.jpg

kumbh at night 75.jpg

kumbh at night 76.jpg

Babas and chelum are a integral part
kumbh at night 77.jpg

Attachments

Last edited: