Ladakh Bike Trip from 1st July - trip planning

Kunal Pandya

Dear Friends,
Here is my detailed trip plan for Ladakh Bike Trip from 1st July.
I want suggestions for:
  • Fuel availability between Leh to Manali stretch
  • Possibility of own tent pitching at various places mentioned
  • Permission to visit O.P. Baba shrine at Siachen base camp.
  • Permission to visit Demchok.
  • Other permit related suggestions
  • Any other route related suggestion

Thanks

Apoorv SHarma

Eat, Ride, Sleep, Repeat!
Dear Friends,
Here is my detailed trip plan for Ladakh Bike Trip from 1st July.
I want suggestions for:
  • Fuel availability between Leh to Manali stretch
  • No fuel pump available between Karu(36 km from Leh) and Tandi(Keylong). You can buy petrol in black, but it will be adulterated and costly that the retail price.
  • Possibility of own tent pitching at various places mentioned
  • I'd rather camp at Sonamarg and stay in a hotel at Kargil.
  • Permission to visit O.P. Baba shrine at Siachen base camp.
  • That will be given by MOD or you need to be invited by someone posted at Siachen for that duration. No other way around it.
  • Permission to visit Demchok.
  • People have got the permission in the past. But it depends on how you explain the reason to Leh DC. Even if you get the permission from Leh DC(highly improbable), Army/ ITBP checkpost guys will give you hard time letting through.
  • Other permit related suggestions
  • Chushul will need permission, also include Man and Merek in the form. Any particular reason to go to Chushul?
  • Any other route related suggestion
  • If you are going to Chushul, no need to go back to Leh for Hanle. There are 2 direct routed from Chushul to Hanle. One is Mitpal Tso, Hor La, Mahe route. Other is War Mamorial, Tsaga La, Loma route. Will need permits(hard to get for Chushul and beyond) for both these routes and they are mostly off road, former being more treacherous. Anyways, Day 18 is too long, gotta break(Stay at Chumthang or Nyoma in between) it down in 2 days, at least. Hanle will have 1-2 guest houses, I would drop camping here.

Thanks
My inline replies in Blue.

Kunal Pandya

Hi Apoorv,
Thank you for your time taken to reply my post.
The info provided will help me optimize my trip plans.
I will be riding my Avenger 220 which has full tank cap of 14liters and planning to carry 20liters spare for trip onwards Leh to Manali. If my bike has mileage of 30-35kmpl, how much it will be while i will ride towards Manali and based on that how should i plan my halts like Chumathang, Hanle, Tso-moriri and so on.
Please guide me.

Nitin malhotra

Fun loving guy
Don't u think that the trip u had planned is too long

Hi I m Nitin I want to go Ladakh by bike Srinagar -Leh,prangong, Nubra- Manali I m seeking for a travel young partner either he is male or female my travel Time starts from 25 July 2016 it vl be of 8 nts pls contact interesting people

Last edited by a moderator:

ravi200223

Super User
Hi Apoorv,
I will be riding my Avenger 220 which has full tank cap of 14liters and planning to carry 20liters spare for trip onwards Leh to Manali. If my bike has mileage of 30-35kmpl, how much it will be while i will ride towards Manali and based on that how should i plan my halts like Chumathang, Hanle, Tso-moriri and so on.
Please guide me.
You in buy patrol in Chusul village also.

Apoorv SHarma

Eat, Ride, Sleep, Repeat!
Hi Apoorv,
Please guide me.
Full tank at Karu and 20 L spare should be enough to reach Keylong even with this route. You can buy petrol in black from most of the villages and camping sites, but obviously that will be costly(about 750 ml at cost of 1 L) and adulterated fuel. So its best to fill up at Karu and use it till Keylong.

Nitin malhotra

Fun loving guy
Ok I m seeking someone who will give me company but my trip time is small its only for 9 days

By the u r trevling alone or someone is joining u

Full tank at Karu and 20 L spare should be enough to reach Keylong even with this route. You can buy petrol in black from most of the villages and camping sites, but obviously that will be costly(about 750 ml at cost of 1 L) and adulterated fuel. So its best to fill up at Karu and use it till Keylong.[/QUOTE

Last edited by a moderator: