Ladakh Diaries | A Photo and Video Log

sriprakash74

Sriprakash
With Ladakh season of 2020 nearing, I would like to share my last year Leh ride. Though I have already visited to a lot of place within India, Ladakh was and still remains my dream destination and that dream became true once last year.

Started our journey from Ghaziabad in Maruti Ertiga with our family of Me, My Wife and 2 daughters, and the route map finalized initially was as under.

Day 1 - Delhi to Udhampur
Day 2 - Udhampur to Srinagar
Day 3 - Srinagar to Kargil
Day 4 - Kargil to Leh
Day 5 - Leh Local and Permits
Day 6 - Around Leh
Day 7 - Leh to Nubra via Khardung La
Day 8 - Nubra to Pangong via Shyok
Day 9 - Pangong to Hanle via Tsaga La
Day 10 - Hanle to Tso Moriri
Day 11 - Tso Moriri to Sarchu
Day 12 - Sarchu to Manali
Day 13 - Back to Ghaziabad
Day 14 - Reserve Day

However the actual journey was as below

Day 1 - Delhi to Udhampur
Day 3 - Srinagar to Kargil
Day 4 - Kargil to Leh
Day 5 - Leh Local and Permits
Day 6 - Around Leh
Day 7 - Leh to Nubra via Khardung La
Day 8 - Nubra to Pangong via Shyok
Day 9 - Pangong to Leh via Chang La
Day 10 - Leh to Jispa
Day 11 - Jispa to Manali
Day 12 - Manali to Ghaziabad

So we could not cover Turtuk, Panamik, Hanle and Tso Moriri which was planned, but that gives me an excuse to visit Ladakh again.

Our first day journey from Ghaziabad to Udhampur was uneventful. Started from Ghaziabad at around 7 AM and reached Udhampur at around 8 PM. Stayed in Hotel Singh Axis.

Hotel Singh Axis
B612_20190609_072330_761.jpg

sriprakash74

Sriprakash

We started early from Udhampur at around 8 AM. On the way we were stopped several times for army convoy. There are 2 tunnels on this way.

1) Chenani-Nasri tunnel : 9 Km long single tube bidirectional tunnel inaugurated recently. This tunnel bypasses Patnitop and saves around 30 Kms of road.

2) Jawahar Tunnel - 2.5 Km long double tube bidirectional tunnel. Its a very old tunnel, and a new one is under construction below this. As Jawahar tunnel receives a lot of snow during winter, the other tunnel built below this tunnel will be an all weather tunnel.

I will upload video of both the tunnels in subsequent post. After the tunnels we reached Titanic View Point from where you can have first view of vast and wide Kashmir Valley

Titanic View Point
20190609_141136.jpg

Kashmir Valley

20190609_150222.jpg

After around 5-6 convoy stops we finally reached Srinagar at around 3 PM. Searched for an houseboat in tripadvisor and booked one. The owner of houseboat was there at the Dal Lake gate to greet us. He helped us in parking our car and took us to his house boat. We had some snacks and hired a shikara to visit the lake which was arranged by the houseboat owner.

We visited the floating garden which has a small beautiful garden, a book shop, a coffee shop. Some water sports are also conducted there. After that we visited the floating market.

Please enjoy the pictures

20190609_175856.jpg

The book shop
20190609_184109.jpg

20190609_191328.jpg

Night View of Lake

20190609_210136.jpg

We reached came back to houseboat at around 8 PM, had our dinner and had a good sleep. Next morning we started our journey towards Zoji La via Sonamarg at around 8 AM. Filled up petrol and had a remote view of Hazratbal. Reached Sonamarg at around 10:30. Weather was excellent and Sonamarg was beautiful. Started our ascend towards Zojila without waisting any time. The road was good initially, however faced traffic jam after sometime and had to take the narrow lower road. The road was not in a good shape.

However, reached Zojila top at around 12 PM, had some snacks and Maggi. Played in snow for sometime and started to descend. Attached below is the video log of journey from Srinagar to Zoji La top.

I will be posting more pictures from Zojila and will continue with mt TLog in next post.

skysat2005

Super User
Nice begining of the log, please do mention the dates of travel. It helps connecting better.
Please also share the performance of Ertiga on this trip.

Looking forward to next update.
Cheers...

adsatinder

explorer
Please post more detailed videos.
We are enjoying this holiday time with your videos !
Lost in the Roads, Snow Views, Landscapes etc. etc. !

sriprakash74

Sriprakash
Nice begining of the log, please do mention the dates of travel. It helps connecting better.
Please also share the performance of Ertiga on this trip.

Looking forward to next update.
Cheers...
Thanks Skysat. Did this journey last summer June 19. Eartiga performance was great except for some areas in Baralacha La. Will update in due course.
Please post more detailed videos.
We are enjoying this holiday time with your videos !
Lost in the Roads, Snow Views, Landscapes etc. etc. !
Thanks Satinder, will definitely follow. Thanks for the encouraging words.