Ladakh in April-May 2018

Hi Experts

I am planning to travel Leh Ladakh (ultimate destination) between 26th Apr'18 to 3rd May'18. We are a group of 8-10 people with age group of 25-35. I am planning to book flights in coming days from Mumbai to Leh. Is it OK to visit Leh during this period. Will we able to visit Nubra Valley, Pangong Tso, Khardung La or even turtuk or hunder including diskit monastery and zanskar valley. We need help in planning the trip and where we can travel over there.
1. Possible itinerary for the trip
2. suggestion for hotels or home stays ( we are also looking to stay overnight in hunder or turtuk and Pangong Tso)
3. Any reliable taxi services which we can hire for our trip
4. whether we will get vegetarian food option considering it is end of winter.

Please experts help us in planning this trip. This is the only time available where all of us are available for vacation during this year.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Mithun, it is certainly possible to visit Ladakh at that time. Though please keep in mind, the weather will be quite cold and the majority of the hotels and restaurants will be closed at that time. So you will have limited options, but accommodation pretty much everywhere. Add to that, passes will have quite a bit of snow, so it is best to keep an extra day in Leh towards the end to deal with any delays en route.

Also, Zanskar Valley isn’t going to be possible, since it takes at least 4 days just to touch Padum and come back at that time, the road would likely be closed due to snow at Pensi La.

Here is a possible itinerary you can try:

26th: Arrive in Leh and rest, if feeling alright towards late in the afternoon, head to the main market and come back to the hotel. In Leh my recommendation would be Hotel Tso Kar, it isn’t too far from the market and it has central heating.

27th: Sham Valley Tour (Hall of Fame, Magnetic Hill, Gurudwara Pathar Sahib, Indus, and Zanskar Confluence, Basgo and Alchi Monasteries) and get the inner line permit made for Nubra Valley, Turtuk, and Pangong Tso through your hotel.

28th: Leh to Nubra Valley via Khardung La, visit Panamik Hot Springs and Sumur Monastery, before heading to Hunder for night stay. My recommendation would be Habib Guest House run by Rehman Bhai, he is a fantastic host and his place is open throughout the year.

29: Visit Turtuk, then come back to Hunder for a night stay, you can also visit sand dunes in the evening.

30th: Nubra Valley to Tangste via Agham – Shyok route, en route you can visit the sand dunes (if missed yesterday) and Diskit Monastery. Tangaste has multiple stay options, which will be better than homestays you will find at Spangmik, Man, and Merak at that time of year. Chang La Yakmik is where I have stayed in winters, the lady there makes a delicious tea.

31st: Visit Pangong Tso and then drive back to Leh.

1st: The monastery circuit (Hemis, Thiksey, Shey and Stakna Monasteries.)

2nd: Leh local sightseeing (Shanti Stupa, Leh Palace, Tsemo Gompa, Spituk Gompa (optional)) and do some shopping (there is cooperative store on the road between the taxi stand and IL Forno on the Old Fort Road).
3rd: Fly back.

Optionally, you can travel from Tagste to Hanle on the 31st and then head back to Leh on the 1st while visiting Tso Moriri en route. However, this is only possible in case there aren’t any foreigners or NRIs traveling with you, since permit for Chushul, Tsaga, Hanle, and Loma are only issued to Indian Nationals.

Finding vegetarian food isn’t going to be a problem. However, finding any other vegetables apart from potatoes and onions are going to be difficult, since these have to be flown into Leh and are rationed. Otherwise, dal, rice, and roti will be easily available pretty much everywhere.

Though in case you do not wish to eat onion and garlic, you will have to tell your hosts in advance, since these are extensively used in Ladakh.

As far as taxi is concerned, while a tempo traveler would be cheaper, my recommendation would be to hire a couple of Innovas. They will be more expensive, however, a lot more comfortable for the long journey you will be undertaking. You can contact Inder (+919906971501), he will be arrange vehicles and if the need be, accommodation for you.

Thank you so much Yogesh bhai :)

Couple of queries bhai, do the above stay options do they accept on call booking and online payment? While travelling should we query cash or digital payment works over there ? Any idea the approx cost of stay for 1 night and vehicle charge?

Thank you so much again :)

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
You can book them over phone and at least Tso Kar should accept online booking as well. However, in case of Habib Guest House, I believe online third-party websites quote quite a bit more so get in touch with Rehman bhai directly (01980-221039 & +91-9469736543). Changla Yakmik is a small place, hence no online payment.

Cost of stay would vary from place to place, from a few hundred per room at Changla Yakmik to around 3k at Tso Kar.

Cost of taxi is dependent on the circuit; current taxi union rates can be found here, http://leh.nic.in/pages/Taxi-list.pdf. These will likely be revised in April. You can call drivers directly get a quote and then negotiate a bit. Taxi payment is accepted in cash.

Thank you so much bhai :)

How do I book then if no online booking? call them and book... for payment do payment when we stay over there?? will it be okay as it leaves us vulnerable if they deny us boarding on the day of stay.

gkapoor

Super User
Please carry enough cash and do not rely on card payments/ATM. ATMs may or may not work in Leh. Outside Leh there are very few ATMs. No shops enroute will accept card, except some in Leh.
Taxi payment will also need to be done in cash.
As for hotel booking, transfer 50% advance where possible, else pay on spot. There is no risk of being denied a room after advanced booking. People are generally honest there. Have a great trip!

Please carry enough cash and do not rely on card payments/ATM. ATMs may or may not work in Leh. Outside Leh there are very few ATMs. No shops enroute will accept card, except some in Leh.
Taxi payment will also need to be done in cash.
As for hotel booking, transfer 50% advance where possible, else pay on spot. There is no risk of being denied a room after advanced booking. People are generally honest there. Have a great trip!
Thanks bhai :)
One thing you missed Yogesh. April has 30 days.

Sent from my Micromax AQ5001 using Tapatalk
haha... Even I missed it... one more less day for me :(