Ladakh Inner Line Permit

chandan.dey

In order for Indian Citizens to visit sensitive areas in Ladakh, which are located along the ceasefire line with Pakistan (LOC) and China (LAC), an inner line permit issued by the DC Office in Leh is necessary.

Foreigners need Protected Area Permit to visit the above places, details of which can be found here, http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/articles-f20/ladakh-protected-area-permit-foreigners-t50558/.

Update: As per a recent order issued by District Magistrate, Indian Citizens no longer need permit for following areas. Instead your Government issued ID cards eg. driving license, voter ID card, PAN card, Aadhar card etc. will be checked and treated as inner line permit for these areas

List of Places which no longer require permit:

• Dah and Hanu (Khaltse – Domkhar – Skurbuchan – Hanudo – Biama – Dha route.)
  • Pangong Tso (from Leh to Merak Village.)
  • Tso Moriri (Leh – Chumathang – Mahe – Korzok.)
  • Loma Bend (Leh – Chumathang – Mahe – Nyoma – Loma Bend.)
  • Nubra Valley (Khardung La, Diskit, Hunder, Turtuk, Pachathang, Tyakshi, Sumur and Panamik.)
  • Tangyar (Leh – Sabhoo – Digger La – Khungru Gompa – Tangyar, only for trekking.)
If intend to go beyond these areas and visit places like Hanle, Chushul, Marsimik La etc. then you will need to visit DC Office in Leh and apply for Inner Line Permit.

How to Apply for Inner Line Permit in Ladakh

In order to apply for Inner Line Permit, you need to visit the DC Office on a working day (Monday to Saturday) preferably between 10AM to 3PM, with both the inner line permit application forms duly filled with details mentioned below. ILP forms are available at most guest houses and at the photo copy shop behind the DC Office and blank copy of one of the forms can be downloaded from here, http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/ladakh-zanskar-f24/leh-inner-line-permit-application-form-t43767/.

How to fill Inner Line Permit Form

You need to write the name of all the applicants applying for permit, name of their father and address (as mentioned in the photo copy of the ID card you are attaching) in the appropriate fields. And mention places for which you need the permit for, dates and duration for which you need the permit (normally ILP is issued for a maximum of 3 weeks). You also need to mention the name of the hotel or guest house you are staying at in Leh.

If you are planning to visit off beat places like Hanle, Chushul, Chumur etc. then you need to mention the complete route eg. in order to take the Chushul route from Pangong Tso to Tso Moriri, with a visit to Hanle, you need to mention Pangong Tso, Man, Merak, Chushul, Tsaga, Loma, Nyoma, Mahe, Hanle and Tso Moriri in your permit application.

Necessary documents needed for Inner Line Permit

You need to attach photo copies of a government issued identity card eg. driving license for all the individuals applying for inner line permit.

Inner Line Permit Fees

While the permit fee changes each year, at the time of writing, it is Rs. 200 per person as environment tax + Rs. 20 per person per day as wild life protection fee + Rs. 20 Red Cross Donation.

Applying for permit through a travel agent or hotel

You can also apply for inner line permit through your guest house or travel agent, in which case they will charge Rs. 150-200 per person (apart from the above mentioned fee) to procure the permit for you. This can be useful for those, who do not have the time to visit DC Office due to tight schedule or are arriving in Leh on a public holiday or Sunday.
Hello Yogesh Ji,

From the above post I came to know that from Leh to Pangong and Nubra I wont need any inline permits. But now my query is, as per my planning I want to enter Leh via Srinagar Kargil route, so will I need any permits for me,pillion and my bike here? And I will return via Leh Manali highway so is there any permission needed here.?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Sorry didn't quite get what your question is. Also please do not write all in capital words, it is akin to shouting on the internet.

hrishi_p

I would like to share this input.

I had gone to DC office in Leh to get permit for Hanle. I wasnt planning to visit Hanle, but just in case we had change in plans I thought it was better to have permit ready. I was charged Rs 240 for 2day permit for 6 persons + Rs 120 red cross donation. This was fine. I was also charged Rs1200 (Rs 200 each) for environment protection fees. The clerk said that it was mandatory for every tourist entering Leh and would be checked at various check points. However this was not checked at any check point whatsoever. This implies that those Rs200 each environment protection fees was not really mandatory.
I would suggest BCMTians planing to travel to Leh to avoid these expenses.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Environment protection fee is mandatory and without paying for it, you won't get permit. However it isn't checked at check posts, only permit is.

Although no ILP is required, we were asked for a declaration. A ready print out can be obtained from hotels or you can manually type it on a blank page. We were given the form by the hotel which we filled and took 5 photocopies along with us. We also had to mention vehicle registration number on the back of the form. I've attached the form for reference.

Though another fellow rider was taking care of it, i roughly remember the places where we were asked for this form though i might miss out some places.
South Pullu, Karu (while going to Pangong Tso), Upshi (while going to Chumathang) and Mahe Bridge is what i can remember. Also while returning from Pangong, there was no one at the karu check post where we we submitted this form and were supposed to mark out time and both way vehicles were passing without any form or entry.
IMG_20140630_162653.jpg

skysat2005

Super User
I would like to share this input.

I had gone to DC office in Leh to get permit for Hanle. I wasnt planning to visit Hanle, but just in case we had change in plans I thought it was better to have permit ready. I was charged Rs 240 for 2day permit for 6 persons + Rs 120 red cross donation. This was fine. I was also charged Rs1200 (Rs 200 each) for environment protection fees. The clerk said that it was mandatory for every tourist entering Leh and would be checked at various check points. However this was not checked at any check point whatsoever. This implies that those Rs200 each environment protection fees was not really mandatory.
I would suggest BCMTians planing to travel to Leh to avoid these expenses.
Dont know why you were charged this much, We were charged only Rs.120/- per person for 7 day permit. Paid total Rs.480/- for all 4 people.

Dry Ice

Update: As per a recent order issued by District Magistrate, Indian Citizens no longer need permit for following areas. Instead your Government issued ID cards eg. driving license, voter ID card, PAN card, Aadhar card etc. will be checked and treated as inner line permit for these areas

List of Places which no longer require permit:

• Dah and Hanu (Khaltse – Domkhar – Skurbuchan – Hanudo – Biama – Dha route.)
  • Pangong Tso (from Leh to Merak Village.)
  • Tso Moriri (Leh – Chumathang – Mahe – Korzok.)
  • Loma Bend (Leh – Chumathang – Mahe – Nyoma – Loma Bend.)
  • Nubra Valley (Khardung La, Diskit, Hunder, Turtuk, Pachathang, Tyakshi, Sumur and Panamik.)
  • Tangyar (Leh – Sabhoo – Digger La – Khungru Gompa – Tangyar, only for trekking.)
If intend to go beyond these areas and visit places like Hanle, Chushul, Marsimik La etc. then you will need to visit DC Office in Leh and apply for Inner Line Permit.
Since the ILP is not required at Korzok, wouldn't it be easier to cover it while going from Manali if one plans to exit from Srinagar? Stay can be arranged at Chumathang if Korzok is to be avoided specifically. And, any idea if there is any checkpost at Mahe turn off for Yaye Tso? If not, one can cover that too and head to Leh back via Chumathang.

Manali ~6700ft
Jispa ~ 10500ft
Korzok ~ 15000ft or Chumathang ~ 13000ft
Leh ~ 11000ft