Ladakh Itinerary suggestions - 8n/9D June 2018

hahaha :D
I been to Kashmir 2 years back with family and we did cover a few high altitude areas like Apharwat peak at 14000 ft and Sinthan top (steep climb) at 11000 ft.
There was a slight headache we noticed but nothing alarming. My daughter did not complaint of any issues thankfully. But, we haven't really stayed at night at places more than 9000 ft.

By the way, I am going through the AMS thread on this forum and will get back if I have quesitons

I was reading various threads in the forum about AMS and frankly, I am worried.
I knew about this before I booked the trip but reading some experiences made me concerned about my family.
I don't want to be in a situation where I spend most of my holiday in hospitals worrying about the condition of my child or spouse.

I am actually having second thoughts.. might cancel my flight tickets and go to somewhere else like Himachal instead

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
You're overthinking it. Just go for it, if nothing else then spend time in Leh, explore the places around it. They are low in altitude and have plenty to see and enjoy with good medical facilities. In any case, an oximeter and a oxygen cylinder ought to be a good backup and hopefully you shouldn't face any major issue. Go through this article here, Ladakh AMS Survival Guide and don't overthink, else you would lose the physiological battle.

Thanks Yogesh,
I was kind of forced to think after going through some of the threads.
I have a genuine question -
If we have AMS symptoms in Leh, we will obviously be cautious and get help. Getting help in Leh should not be a problem.
I am more concerned about Pangong/Tso Moriri.
As I understand, AMS hits hard during the night mainly (sleeping time). So, if we have AMS symptoms in the night at Pangong or Tso Moriri, then what should be done?
Pangong or Tso Moriri wont have similar facilities like Leh.
Going down in the night time to lower altitude might be a problem.

I agree, I am overthinking mainly because of traveling with family

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
There is a medical facility at Tangste and army camp with medical facilities at Lukung. There is an army camp with medical facilities at Korzok as well. This is where monitoring blood oxygen levels and 10 minutes of inhaling oxygen at night would prove beneficial.

Punto

I was reading various threads in the forum about AMS and frankly, I am worried.
I knew about this before I booked the trip but reading some experiences made me concerned about my family.
I don't want to be in a situation where I spend most of my holiday in hospitals worrying about the condition of my child or spouse.

I am actually having second thoughts.. might cancel my flight tickets and go to somewhere else like Himachal instead
Nothing to worry.
I visited Leh last year with 6 year old and year before to Badri-Kedar when she was 5.
We consulted her pediatric doctor before start of the trip and he prescribed some syrup (forgot its name).
As a precaution, we (adults) took diamox (1/day) from the day 1.

Thanks, everyone for the encouragement.
I will be definitely taking precautions. Will make a checklist before traveling.
Some things which I learnt are -
1> Diamox couple of days in advance (need to check with doctor for my daughter if it's okay)
2> Day 1 - take it really easy. Day 2 - nearby attractions based on how we feel
3> Plenty of water to drink. there is a water drinking App which is good
4> Eat is small portions, High carb food, low in fat and protein
5> buy oximeter, monitor
6> Spare oxygen cylinder or 2 in car
7> In case symptoms don't normalize, coming down is best option
8> Carry water, glucose, electral, nutri bars, chocolates, bananas, dry fruit etc
9> Need to make a list of medicines to carry

Hey @Punto , can you please find out about the syrup and the dosage? was it started before reaching Leh or after?

Punto

I will be definitely taking precautions. Will make a checklist before traveling.
1> Diamox couple of days in advance (need to check with doctor for my daughter if it's okay)
5> buy oximeter, monitor
8> Carry water, glucose, electral, nutri bars, chocolates, bananas, dry fruit etc

Hey @Punto , can you please find out about the syrup and the dosage? was it started before reaching Leh or after?
Syrup was to be administered only when required. Will try to get the name but it will be best to see pediatric doc for your daughter.

5> buy oximeter, monitor

Hey,

We just completed our Leh trip last week... it was amazing... we were group of 10 adults + 1 kid(4 year old) and we didn't face any problems in terms of health and infact 4 year old had most fun then anybody in the group.
1. We had half pill of diamox once a day start from t - 2 (before trip) till we reached Leh at the end of trip. (nothing for my nephew who is 4 year old)
2. Day 1 was complete rest and we visited market as our hotel was near to market and Day 2 was sham valley tour
3. drink plenty of water and carry sun creams to avoid tanning
4. we had 4 oxygen cylinders with us but didn't use any
5. most of the villages or stays outside Leh have only 4 hours of electricity and hot water facility available as per request or solar panels.

Do let me know if you have any further query :)

Thanks @Yogesh Sarkar for helping me plan my trip