Ladakh Protected Area Permit for Foreigners

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
In order to visit places like Nubra Valley, Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Tso Moriri, Dah and Hanu Villages, foreigners as well as NRIs, PIO and OCI holders require special permission from the DC Office in Leh, which is known as Protected Area Permit. This is due to the fact that these areas are considered sensitive, due to their proximity to the cease fire line with Pakistan (LOC) and China (LAC).

Protected Area Permit (PAP) is only issued for a group of four or more foreigners and it is necessary for all foreigners to go through a registered travel agent in order to obtain the Protected Area Permit. If you are traveling alone or in a group totaling less than 4, then the travel agent will group you together with other individuals, in order to obtain the permit for you.

Protected Area Permit is issued for a maximum of 7 days, after which you need to reapply for PAP, if you wish to visit other protected areas.

You need to carry photo copies of the PAP with you and submit them at various check posts en route (usually manned by police or ITBP (paramilitary)); hence it is necessary to carry 3-4 photocopies of the permit, per sector.

It isn’t necessary to travel with others mentioned on the permit or for that matter, through the travel agent, who procured your permit.

Permit for Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Chinese, Afghani and Burmese citizens are issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs in Delhi and permit for those on official or diplomatic visa are issued by the Ministry of External Affairs in Delhi.

There are no permit needed for Suru and Zanskar Valley and foreigners aren’t allowed to go beyond Merak Village along Pangong Tso or Mahe Village in the Changthang Plateau.

You can download the detailed FAQ on Protected Area Permit by the Ministry of Home Affairs as well as list of registered travel agents in Leh by clicking on the links below.

Attachments

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Jammu and Kashmir Government has decided to update permit rules for foreigners and now group of two or more can apply for permit (earlier it was four or more).

Furthermore, Foreigners can now travel up to the following places:

Man and Merak Village along Pangong Tso.

Till Loma bend (where the diversion for Hanle exists) in the Nyoma sector (no word yet on Hanle though).

Foreigners can also go beyond Turtuk in Nubra Valley and travel to Pachathang and Tyakshi Villages (also recently opened for Indian tourists).

Kargil - Khangral - Shaker - Chiktan - Leh and Dah - Garkone - Darchik - Batalik- Slimo- Kargil routes in the Kargil and Batalik sectors.

hassan.muhamed

Hi, we r planning a trip to leh in dis June. We r going in a group of 5. One of my friend is coming from UAE. I have some doubt about PAP after reading dis post. Do he need dat permission as he is a NRI for some years? If needed WHAT, WHEN and FROM WHERE he can take the permission?

hassan.muhamed

One more doubt bai, if am wrong please correct me. If he s not submitting the passport anywere then how can they know he s a NRI ? He have valid Indian voters ID and driving licence to show. And if passport is necessary please help me to get a reliable travel agent's contact number.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
If he does that, then he would be breaking the law and considering the fact that the whole area is considered fairly sensitive and is practically under army and paramilitary control, he and all those with him can get into serious trouble.

Pretty much all travel agents and guest houses in Leh should be able to arrange the permit in a matter of hours (in case of working days). Best is to arrive there and negotiate with them on their commission.

Cheah Tw

Hi Yogesh. For the PAP for foreigners, can I travel solo as it is written somewhere that the PAP is for couples or groups? SOrry for the silly question.

Cheah Tw

Ok thanks.

BTW I found a very detailed free download map of India, including Ladakh. It evenhave detail streets in Leh! I've downloaded this map and it uploads straight to a Garmin via a MapUpLoad program. No modifications required. The following is the link to the map

VeloMap.org -Roadbike ? Bicycle ? Maps based on Openstreetmap « Map Download ? New Maps

Have tried it on my Garmin and it works perfectly.

Do not know which part of the forum to post this.

- - - Updated - - -

The link in the previous post did not appear as it should when posted. This is the site www.velomap.org

DTPMatt

Ok thanks.

BTW I found a very detailed free download map of India, including Ladakh. It evenhave detail streets in Leh! I've downloaded this map and it uploads straight to a Garmin via a MapUpLoad program. No modifications required. The following is the link to the map

VeloMap.org -Roadbike ? Bicycle ? Maps based on Openstreetmap « Map Download ? New Maps

Have tried it on my Garmin and it works perfectly.

Do not know which part of the forum to post this.

- - - Updated - - -

The link in the previous post did not appear as it should when posted. This is the site VeloMap.org -Roadbike ? Bicycle ? Maps based on Openstreetmap
Thats a new map for me, thank you, Ive added it to my other India GPS maps.

You can also get OSM maps of India for free.
If you have Mapsource, it downloads straight into there and you can upload the maps to your machine via that method as well.