Ladakh Protected Area Permit for Foreigners

Hello Yogesh.

My minor sons are US Passport holder and have PIO cards. I and my wife are Indian citizen, and we live in India now.
Would I need PAP for my sons? Or Inner line Permit can be provided for all? I will be carrying their passports and PIO, and photo-ids of self & wife, which I suppose should suffice.

Also, would any prior permit / approval from MHA in Delhi be required for PAP?

TIA,

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Technically, your sons will need PAP. For which you will have to go through hotel/travel agent in Leh and they will take care of the rest. No need for any prior approval or permit from MHA.

Ken

I know that these areas are kept under tight control but as a Brit' soon to semi retire to india (Goa & Calcutta) I find all the red tape a pain in the A**s. I always say the British invented red tape but India has turned into an "art form" lol. However when in Rome and all that live with it and get on with it is my moto. Looking forward to going to some of these places with the wife she can do the talking Hindi, Bengali and a few others. I always get a laugh as her parents were European but she was born in India and lived in India until she was 34 when we came to UK to live so she does not look Indian but she is 100% puka Indian so when she talks they get a shock as what they see does not match what they hear always good for laugh. She has been up to the north east and ran into check posts and such the driver was s**ting him self but madam sweet talk her way out of it and they were on their way again. The driver was a friends driver and was told to watch over her, he took his duties a bit to far as he slept on the floor right outside her hotel rooms lol.
Anyway looking forward to getting up north myself to see all the palces to see.

Hope to see some of you while on our travels.
Ken

KiranMody

I am planning to visit area's in & around Leh with a friend who is an American citizen.
Planning just 2 of us, but, understand from your column that there has to be more than 4 in a group for PAP.
Can you suggest me some alternative??

bains

HI Yogesh, i have a query related this section, as we will be accompanied by a NRI so i called a travel agent in the list you have provided but the agent said that the foreigner needs to be present himself in DC office. Do you have any recent update on this?

pacinoson

Can Chinese get the Protected Area Permit in Leh? I went to Leh last year, I intended go to Pangong Tso. But the travel agency said the permit is not available for Chinese. They told me we should get a permit in Delhi. Is that true? How can a Chinese visit Pangong Tso?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
That would be an extremely difficult thing to do since Chinese nationals need to get the permit from Ministry of Home Affairs in Delhi. Best bet would be to get in touch with the Indian Consulate and see if you can apply for permit through them.