Landscapes

dichkaun

A road twists away in amidst Pine forest near Almora in Uttarakhand.

Pine forests are my favourite. One for the smell. The other because they have little of no undergrowth. So the forest will mostly have a nice bed of grass covered with pine needles. Its easy to walk through and when tired fun to lie down and watch the trunks towering trees into the blue sky.

This picture was taken during the summer of 2018 when I was in Nainital for a short trip. I did a quick day bike ride to Someshwar, Bageshwar , Almora and back. While many of the forests were either burning or burned down, there were still patches that had survived. The early moring sun was filtering through and I had stopped for break. Climbing though the trees, I gained some height to look down on the road and take this picture.

Link: Snaking Away

Technical details: E-M10ii + 9-18mm | F/8 | 1/160s | ISO200
Date: May 29, 2018 | 0747

dichkaun

Dwarfed
---------
My bike dwarfed by trees on the banks of Tons River near Mori in Uttarakhand.

Northern Uttarakhand bordering Himachal Pradesh is full of wilderness mostly untouched by tourism. The Tons river cuts though this wilderness carving out mountain valleys before joining the Yamuna at Kalsi, Uttarakhand. This area is also a gateway to Govind Balabh Pant Wildlife Sanctuary which is famous for Har Ki Doon Trek and Kedarkantha Trek

This picture was taken during the autumn of 2017 when I was riding though northern Uttarakhand on my way to Spiti. Having stopped the night at Purola, I left early in the morning and was soon at Mori. Here a road forks on the right towards Sankri, where many treks start. I was to go to Tiuni and then cross over to Himachal. Towards Tiuni the road flanks the Tons river before crossing over. Just after Mori, the road is built on the valley floor going through several small patches of grassy areas – just like mini meadows.

Link: Dwarfed

Technical details: E-M10ii + 9-18mm | F/8 | 1/100s | ISO200
Date: Sep 05, 2017 | 0750

This picture is from the Spiti Bike Ride which is blogged at: 2400Km of Solo Spiti Sauntering – Compendium

dichkaun

Monsoon Falls
----------------
Famed tea gardens of Munnar flanked by nature’s beauty – waterfall, trees, river and flowers.

While searching for the Neelakurinji flowers – the flowers blooms once in 12 years, I chanced upon this beautiful scenery on the slopes towards the north of Munnar. It was a beautiful morning greyed by the ankle sprain I was nursing from the day before. A moment of rest and a flooding of the senses. The sound of the cascade in the distance, the flowing of the river below and the chirping of the birds.

The picture above was taken a little before the entrance to Eravikulam National Park. I had stopped to admire the blooming red Rugtoora (Spathodea). If you see closely there are a few towards the middle of the picture. The road passes though some beautiful tea gardens. Across the valley was a dense green – a combination of carefully manicured tea gardens and untamed forest, all surrounding a large waterfall.

Link: Monsoon Falls

Technical details: Pen-F + 12-40mm | F/3.5 | 1/200s | ISO200
Date: Oct 14, 2018 | 0759

This picture is from the Neelakurinji Adventures Bike Ride which is blogged at: Bike Ride: Neelakurinji adventures – Pictures