Laptop Suggestion

Wanderer

I want to purchase a laptop with a battery backup of around 5 hours. I already have two desktops - hence its not a desktop replacement. It will be used for travelling, basic photo editing & surfing. Budget is around 30k. Suggestions on specific model would be really helpful, thanks :)

Admin01

Administrator
Do you need large screen size? If not, then a netbook with 10-11" screen would be perfect.Samsung and Asus have models which even come with 11hour backup battery!

popsha

Incredible Bulk
I am using Asus EeePC which comes with a 1GB RAM (2GB upgrade available) + Win 7 starter pack and an amazing battery life (claimed 11 hrs tested till ~9 hrs)

It is perfect for internet usage and some MS Office work. 2GB version can run big applications like Photoshop.

Its a good addition if you already have a desktop at home to do the heavier work.

Admin01

Administrator
I am using the EeePC 900HA as well, it runs Photoshop CS2, multiple instances of Chrome, MS Works and various other things with 1GB stock memory. Maybe that is due to the fact this one comes with XP?

Wanderer

Do you need large screen size? If not, then a netbook with 10-11" screen would be perfect.Samsung and Asus have models which even come with 11hour backup battery!
I am using Asus EeePC which comes with a 1GB RAM (2GB upgrade available) + Win 7 starter pack and an amazing battery life (claimed 11 hrs tested till ~9 hrs)

It is perfect for internet usage and some MS Office work. 2GB version can run big applications like Photoshop.

Its a good addition if you already have a desktop at home to do the heavier work.
Thank you both for your suggestions, net books seem to have terrific battery life. I would prefer a screen size of around 14'' . I came across Acer Aspire Timeline 4810T which is supposed to give 7-8 hrs of battery life. How does it compare to the netbooks in terms of performance?
Are there any similar models in Dell or other brands ?

Admin01

Administrator
That actually seems like a really nice option, especially considering the price. However if you can find Atom D510 or 330 based netbook, then it would likely be faster than the processor in the above laptop. However that extra gig of ram and internal DVD write is a nice addon.

However, I was going through Ebay and looked at a few Samsung laptops and they are cheaper than the one you just linked

Wanderer

That actually seems like a really nice option, especially considering the price. However if you can find Atom D510 or 330 based netbook, then it would likely be faster than the processor in the above laptop. However that extra gig of ram and internal DVD write is a nice addon.

However, I was going through Ebay and looked at a few Samsung laptops and they are cheaper than the one you just linked
I'm looking for some CULV based laptops with dual core, I've been told they have longer battery life at expense of performance. Asus model - ASUS UL30A-X5K is pretty good but I'm not sure about its availability in India. I'll also look for the processors you suggested, thanks.