Learning to work in Lightroom

hensil

Guru
Hi Friends,
Today I'm starting a new thread to learn the Workflow in Lightroom.
I'll be adding video links from The Adobe Learning Center - Learn Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV, few at a time, so that we can all watch those videos, try to understand and start working slowly.
In the beginning you'll find it overwhelming but believe me it is easy once you dive into it. So without any worry get started.

But before you begin there are few requisite to work in Lightroom.
1. Obviously you need the Lightroom software installed on a computer. If you don't have the software you can download a trial version here Adobe - Lightroom : For Windows
2. In your computer make a folder and name it 'Lightroom' to store all your photos/file related to LR. Inside the Lightroom folder make another 2 folders and name them 'Lightroom Catalog' and 'Photos'. These folders will keep your Lightroom workflow organized.
I'll be posting all the links from here Learn Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV.
To begin I'll ask you to watch this video to understand the Lightroom 5 interface.
Lightroom 5 interface | Learn Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

After that carefully watch this video to learn Importing photos from a CF/SD card or if you don't have a card reader connect your camera via. USB.
It is over here when importing pictures you'll have to select the above mention 'Photos' folder to store your imported photos.
Don't worry if you make mistakes or don't understand any steps, just post your question in this thread. But please ask your question clearly and referencing the part in the video. This will make us easy to understand your questions.
Importing photos from a CF card | Learn Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

After importing the photos go through this module to start developing your pictures. Understanding the Develop module.
Understanding the Develop module | Learn Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV
and this, Develop Basics
Develop Basics | Learn Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

Again, don't worry making mistakes and don't feel shy asking your questions, however basic or silly. We all started this way.:grin:

All the best.
Henry

geniousanupam

Super User
Hi Henry,
Wow, thank you so very much for taking out time and organizing all links in a single post. I think people like me would be very helpful with this information.
I learned LR (Little Bit) from the links which you mentioned to someone in one of the thread's and since then I started shooting in RAW and implementing those to my images.

Thanks again,
Anupam.

hensil

Guru
Hi Henry,
Wow, thank you so very much for taking out time and organizing all links in a single post. I think people like me would be very helpful with this information.
I learned LR (Little Bit) from the links which you mentioned to someone in one of the thread's and since then I started shooting in RAW and implementing those to my images.

Thanks again,
Anupam.
[MENTION=16765]hensil[/MENTION] thanks bro it's really needed out here
It's my pleasure.
There are plenty more videos on the Adobe TV site. This is just the start. We will start slowly so that everybody can understand and learn with us.
After watching the videos and trying out the import and basic develop, you'll have some queries. Don't hesitate to ask them here.
Henry

rbhasin11

Live Young...Live Free...
Very good initiative. I've been trying to use LR for a month or so now but have found the interface to be a bit confusing. I'm currently using Adobe Photoshop Express to process images, but the problem is that it doesn't process RAW.

Hoping to learn a lot from this thread...

polly

never ever give up
Ah,there you are,thanks a ton henry,for making many of us kickstart with lightroom.Hoping that my wimax service gets restored soon and I too get to watch these videos.You are indeed our santa.
Regards polly/ kulu

Last edited:

hensil

Guru
Hi Friends,
Today I'm starting a new thread to learn the Workflow in Lightroom.
I'll be adding video links from The Adobe Learning Center - Learn Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV, few at a time, so that we can all watch those videos, try to understand and start working slowly.
In the beginning you'll find it overwhelming but believe me it is easy once you dive into it. So without any worry get started.

But before you begin there are few requisite to work in Lightroom.
1. Obviously you need the Lightroom software installed on a computer. If you don't have the software you can download a trial version here Adobe - Lightroom : For Windows
2. In your computer make a folder and name it 'Lightroom' to store all your photos/file related to LR. Inside the Lightroom folder make another 2 folders and name them 'Lightroom Catalog' and 'Photos'. These folders will keep your Lightroom workflow organized.
I'll be posting all the links from here Learn Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV.
To begin I'll ask you to watch this video to understand the Lightroom 5 interface.
Lightroom 5 interface | Learn Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

After that carefully watch this video to learn Importing photos from a CF/SD card or if you don't have a card reader connect your camera via. USB.
It is over here when importing pictures you'll have to select the above mention 'Photos' folder to store your imported photos.
Don't worry if you make mistakes or don't understand any steps, just post your question in this thread. But please ask your question clearly and referencing the part in the video. This will make us easy to understand your questions.
Importing photos from a CF card | Learn Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

After importing the photos go through this module to start developing your pictures. Understanding the Develop module.
Understanding the Develop module | Learn Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV
and this, Develop Basics
Develop Basics | Learn Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

Again, don't worry making mistakes and don't feel shy asking your questions, however basic or silly. We all started this way.:grin:

All the best.
Henry
This is a picture version tutorials of importing images.
Lightroom tips: how to import, organise and add metadata to your photos | Digital Camera World

Henry

polly

never ever give up
Can anyone pls throw light on my quiery which is-
What is minimum system requirement to run lightroom 5?
I have a core 2 duo processor, with 3 gb ram in my laptop.
Will this system run hassle free lightroom 5 software?