Learning to work in Lightroom

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
Thanks for digging this link. I think this answers my question.
The image i see after import and before preview are jpg created by camera.
D750 by default apply some changes to JPG files (+saturation + exposure + sharpening). This change can be observed if one clicks in RAW + JPG mode. I assume this is some default setting which I haven't touched

hensil

Guru
Ankur,
I'm not sure if I understood your question. I'll speak from what I understood.
Even when you shoot only RAW and no JPEG in camera, the RAW file contains a JPG (bitmap file) file imbedded so that the camera playback can show the picture and its properties in the camera LCD. This JPG picture will have the setting applied to it that are set in the camera, this I am guessing.
When you first open the RAW file in LR, you see this JPG picture and then after a moment LR applies its default settings to the RAW file which is displayed in the monitor.
One cannot see a RAW file on its own because it is not a pixel based/bitmap file.
Henry

hensil

Guru
I read the link that Somnathda posted. It says the same thing.
Just for you to note. When shooting only RAW the histogram is based on the JPG that is directly depended on camera picture settings. So if you have set your picture to shoot flat (which I do for video) that means very low contrast, less saturation and low or normal sharpening, the histogram will depend on that settings, usually more towards the right.
Henry

amitw79

Super User
Just wanted to check from the forum which version or shall I say avatar of Lightroom you are using?

Lightroom CC (based on subscription model) or standalone lightroom 6 single download?

I am looking to get one soon. Sharing your experiences will help in the purchase.

iamsomnath

Where is the remote?
Just wanted to check from the forum which version or shall I say avatar of Lightroom you are using?

Lightroom CC (based on subscription model) or standalone lightroom 6 single download?

I am looking to get one soon. Sharing your experiences will help in the purchase.
I'm a believer of perpetual license. Have a LR 4 , my main workhorse and a Photoshop CS 6 licence, which I have used for couple of images in last couple of years. Reason I don't use a subscription system is because I don't upgrade my hardware too much and love to be a minimalist when it comes to processing time. I rarely use a RAW file which takes more than five minutes to process. Perhaps I'm sounding high and mighty but I know that I enjoy the luxury because photography doesn't fire my oven. On the other hand I don't skimp on my calibrators, monitors, tablets etc.
Cheers
Somnath

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
I am using Lightroom and Photoshop CC, new plan is around 750 a month (including tax) is a good option. Adobe regularly updates Lightroom and Photoshop and you get all those updates free. Photoshop stand alone license is around 55k and I believe Lightroom was around 15k? So it makes more economical as well as technical sense to go for creative cloud plan.

amitw79

Super User
I am using Lig
htroom and Photoshop CC, new plan is around 750 a month (including tax) is a good option. Adobe regularly updates Lightroom and Photoshop and you get all those updates free. Photoshop stand alone license is around 55k and I believe Lightroom was around 15k? So it makes more economical as well as technical sense to go for creative cloud plan.
From cost perspective, if I go for Lightroom CC subscription, its roughly 15CAD for me a month.
Cost of standalone Lightroom 6 is 229CAD including taxes.
I am not going to use Photoshop much so I guess it makes sense to spend on standalone Lightroom 6 only from cost perspective.

I understand that with CC, images would also be directly available in mobile app lightroom galleries as well.
Useful feature but I am not sure if I would really need that :-k

Any other major difference to be considered between the two avatars of lightroom?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
You will be paying for 15 months in advance and will only have access to Lightroom 6. Lightroom CC has haze removal, which Lightroom 6 does not have http://www.adobe.com/in/products/photoshop-lightroom/versions.html.

I don't use cloud features. However, I edit my images first in Lightroom and then in Photoshop. You can also use Photoshop for basic video editing and in particular, for making time-lapse videos. This can be done in Lightroom as well, with the help of plugins.

amitw79

Super User
You will be paying for 15 months in advance and will only have access to Lightroom 6. Lightroom CC has haze removal, which Lightroom 6 does not have http://www.adobe.com/in/products/photoshop-lightroom/versions.html.

I don't use cloud features. However, I edit my images first in Lightroom and then in Photoshop. You can also use Photoshop for basic video editing and in particular, for making time-lapse videos. This can be done in Lightroom as well, with the help of plugins.
I'm a believer of perpetual license. Have a LR 4 , my main workhorse and a Photoshop CS 6 licence, which I have used for couple of images in last couple of years. Reason I don't use a subscription system is because I don't upgrade my hardware too much and love to be a minimalist when it comes to processing time. I rarely use a RAW file which takes more than five minutes to process. Perhaps I'm sounding high and mighty but I know that I enjoy the luxury because photography doesn't fire my oven. On the other hand I don't skimp on my calibrators, monitors, tablets etc.
Cheers
Somnath
Ok got it. Thanks for the inputs YS and Somnath Da :)