Legendary Bullet 500. First 50 kilometers review.

Electric Starting - Good, but once in a while no response at all. 4.
Kick Starting - Kickstart on this bike is bit "Moody" 3.

Run in details
First gear - maximum recomended speed is 10 KMPH works fine. 5.
Second gear - maximum recomended speed 22 KMPH works fine. 5.
Third gear - Maximum recomended speed 35 KMPH works alright. 4.
Fourth gear - Maximum recomended speed 40 KMPH works alright. 4.
Fifth gear - Maximum recomended speed 50 KMPH impossible. 0.

Gear shifting -
0-1 - Good 5.
1-2 - Good 5.
2-3 - Good 5.
3-4 - Good 5.
4-5 - Good 5.
5-4 - Good 5.
4-3 - Good 5.
3-2 - Alright 4.
2-1 - Alright 4.
1-0 - BAD 2.

False neutral issues
0-FN-1 annoying
2-FN-0 annoying

Vibrations
Acceptable

Waiting period + Delivery time - 3 days 5.

Legendary helecopter sound
Yet to finish Engine break-in to reach that department.:rolleyes:

Engine smoothness - Good 5. (I do not intend to say about the vibrations in the bike, but the jerks in engine)

Paint job Good 5.(No rusting seen yet. Hope it does not haunt)

Component integrity - Good 5. (As in parts falling off due to excessive vibrations as mentioned in other models.)

Will get back with more details soon.
Last number in each parameter is my rating.

Here is the video shot on my way back home from showroom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLrBwBEwD3uUjWkIuzOc9e-yU686f9--wO&v=hmzRUfAYa_o&feature=player_detailpage

Last edited:
First of all million congrats for owing the legend. Welcome to RE family. Waiting for complete review and please do post some good number of pics. My eyes are never tired seeing their pics, looking at them.

Thankyou for a hearty welcome.
Second day and next 50 km. Approaching 113 on odo.
Gear shifting - Very Good (5) project butter that started in andriod has its effect on bullet 500 gear livers. I mean it is amazing how smooth the gear shifting in this particular model with 500cc engine is compared to tbts or classics.

Kick start - Good, (4) And ya, kick start is 100 times tougher than what we find on std 350. I could just jump on the liver at 85 kilos with simple sound of crank move but no firing.

Handle bar - Average (2) i am used to low riding with tall ape hanger handlebar. May be this is the reason why i feel the handle bar on this feels too low and puts a part of 500cc torque on my lower back and trap muscles. Any suggestions will be almost a life saver. ;)

Last edited:
Thankyou for a hearty welcome.
Second day and next 50 km. Approaching 113 on odo.
Gear shifting - project butter that started in andriod has its effect on bullet 500 gear livers. I mean it is amazing how smooth the gear shifting in this particular model with 500cc engine is compared to tbts or classics.
--- That's a great news as my Cl350 used to give lot of false and that is the only time when probably I scolded my bull (but do we? ) :) . But I don't know what happened, after 10K mark the gear is all smooth now. Touch wood

Kick start And ya, kick start is 100 times tougher than what we find on std 350. I could just jump on the liver at 85 kilos with simple sound of crank move but no firing.
--- I hope you are using the right technique and Idle RPM and carb is tuned properly. When cold starting do the following:

1. Without turning on the ignition, press the clutch and give one or two gentle cranks. You would notice that even the clutch is pressed but still there is some engagement (the clutch is not 100% released if you are starting the bull after a long, duration hence make sure to release it this way).
2. Still keeping the ignition on, clutch released give 2-3 gentle cranks. This would circulate the engine oil a little bit and lubricates the surface. Good practice in the long run
3. Now turn the ignition on and give a full swing crank without giving any throttle. The swing should go till end. Now bring the lever back, around 30-40 degrees above from the the horizontal (Silencer could be a good horizontal line here) and give a kick now. If everything else is fine, this kick would bring the bull to life. Else repeat 2 and 3.

]Note: Do not use kick start when cold starting. Use electric start only.

Handle bar i am used to low riding with tall ape hanger handlebar. May be this is the reason why i feel the handle bar on this feels too low and puts a part of 500cc torque on my lower back and trap muscles. Any suggestions will be almost a life saver. ;)
- I would suggest rather get used to it, else you can try RDX handlebar (RD extended) it would kind of suit your style of grabbing the handle ;)

Kick start idea definetly worked. But only in hot engine condition. Once i park the bike even for 5 min, the kick start is back to its moodyness.
Ya rdx handle bar sounds good but unfortunately i have not seen how it looks. Does it look like handle bar on old tbts/enticer or just the grips are horizontal but raised?

False neutral between 1 neutral and neutral and 2 are ironicaly funny, confusing and irritating at same time. ;)

http://www.royalenfieldzone.com/products/handle_bars/large/EZ156.jpg

What about the extender at the bottom like in the link?
The RDX is not like the handlebar of old tbts or enticer, it is kinda a little broad and raised. Try RDX from sans Inc. Check their fb page. The name of the guy is Saurabh Katar. Very professional and friendly banda. You need more information regarding that let me know. I have ordered two silencers and few other stuffs from him till date

That was helpful. What else must add to the list? Cluch cables etc etc..
Did not get that but whatever I have assumed, may be your asking should we keep a spare clutch cable then I would say yes sure and keeping spare tire tubes is fine as well as I remember I had struggled a lot to get the right size tube for the rear tire when the tire got punctured and in the process of pushing the Bull for good 2.5-3 kms (no puncture fixing guy near by) I made sure the tube has completely gone useless :grin: and then struggle for tube begin.