Legendary Bullet 500. First 50 kilometers review.

Oh i mean if length of handle bar increases all connecting cables have to be longer. Some can be re routed but not sure if all can be safely re routed out of the way from engine.

Oh i mean if length of handle bar increases all connecting cables have to be longer. Some can be re routed but not sure if all can be safely re routed out of the way from engine.
The RDX handlebar that he offers is all direct fit and no need to fiddle around with any fittings (as per him and as per the guys who have used it from him)

20131103_113741.jpg
20131103_113807.jpg
20131104_091728.jpg
20131104_091737.jpg

Attaching a few snaps of both Athiratha and Maharathas.

- - - Updated - - -

20131104_091827.jpg
20131104_091834.jpg

Rider's perspective of Handle bars. can some one please provide me the dimensions of RD-Ex handle bar like in width, raise and i happened to discover use of beach handle bars on classic preworld war Bullets. How feesable are they for city and highway ride? i plan to continue my 2 wheeler trips of 6000 km per year on maharatha too just the way i used to do with my athiratha.

- - - Updated - - -

A few stop gap solutions to combat the dusting inside of toolbox and the breather box, i use a muslin cloth and sponge sheets and some leftover cello tape.
20131104_091455.jpg
20131104_091613.jpg
20131104_091629.jpg
20131104_091655.jpg

Just one suggestion if you don't mind. That pink color helmet looks a complete spoil sport on the Bullet. If possible get a good black color helmet and get a good one (safety first :) ) and get rid of this one. But as I had said before also, at the end of the day it is your call :)

Just one suggestion if you don't mind. That pink color helmet looks a complete spoil sport on the Bullet. If possible get a good black color helmet and get a good one (safety first :) ) and get rid of this one. But as I had said before also, at the end of the day it is your call :)
Sorry for bad color processing on my cell camera. and ya the helmet is not pink. It is reflective red. at night it glows like reflective road sign. and it is a steel bird. :) As you say safety first. I am a NIGHT RIDER. (not Knightrider) the highway from my office to home is pitch black. not a single street light pole for entire 30 kilometers. I need to be visible to the speeding trucks. :)

Sorry for bad color processing on my cell camera. and ya the helmet is not pink. It is reflective red. at night it glows like reflective road sign. and it is a steel bird. :) As you say safety first. I am a NIGHT RIDER. (not Knightrider) the highway from my office to home is pitch black. not a single street light pole for entire 30 kilometers. I need to be visible to the speeding trucks. :)
Hmmm.. how about some reflectors :rolleyes:

Redoing identical parametric review a half way through the period between delivery and 1st service .
Current odo reading 260.
Pics attached are 2 days old.
Electric Starting - Improved . 5.
Kick Starting - Still a bit "Moody" but definetly improved 4.

Run in details
First gear - maximum recomended speed is 10 KMPH works fine. 5.
Second gear - maximum recomended speed 22 KMPH works fine. 5.
Third gear - Maximum recomended speed 35 KMPH works alright. 4.
Fourth gear - Maximum recomended speed 40 KMPH works alright. 4.
Fifth gear - Maximum recomended speed 50 KMPH impossible. 0.
Highest speeds ever reached on 5th gear = lowest speed ever reached on fifth gear = 55kmph

Gear shifting -
0-1 - Good 5.
1-2 - Good 5.
2-3 - Good 5.
3-4 - Good 5.
4-5 - Good 5.
5-4 - Good 5.
4-3 - Good 5.
3-2 - Improved and good now 5.
2-1 - Improved and good now 5.
1-0 - Improved 3.

False neutral issues
0-FN-1 annoying but reduced.
2-FN-0 annoying but reduced.

Vibrations
Acceptable level. Reducing as tires keep rolling more and more.
mirrors do vibrate but in comparison to C5 or TBTS5 my friends have, i felt my mirrors were more than just frozen. (relative comparison not absolutely frozen)

Legendary Helecopter sound
Yet to finish Engine break-in to reach that department. doing research. Planing to try something unconventional. by the way i like the tappet sound of new use too. it sounds more like an assault riffle at work. MADE LIKE A GUN.

Engine smoothness - Good 5. (In this point again I do not intend to address about the vibrations in the bike, but the jerks in engine)

Paint job Good 5.(No rusting seen yet. Hope it does not haunt)

Component integrity - still Good 5. still i am planning to include a pair of rubber wool washers/liquid gasket (if it is feesable) on either sides of all the nuts and bolts during first service..(As in parts falling off due to excessive vibrations as mentioned in other models.)

Last number in each parameter is my rating just like initial review.

BTW I have still not got the reg numbers and am running on yellow SOLD number plate. Any idea how long would it take for the number.

Few configuration changes to suit my riding conditions:-

Handlebar - I had been to one of the reputed Parts dealer in Raipur for enfield and took a hands on of RD extended handle bar. i even kept it right next to my handlebar. they almost identicle. almost because Extended RD had an extra rod connecting. not an mm here or there. So i am still open for that option.

Seat - Planning to put a TBTS split front seat and a detachable carrier based rear seat for utility purpose.

Lighting - I feel i must reduce the load on electricals first and utilizing the freed load to lit up the night roads so that i can reach home alive everyday. Not that OEM is insufficient, but when the rider/driver from opposite side has number advantage i end up blinded, it is fine i can gauge the street but if there is a black dog/black cow/human with black out fit, i will be under immense self guilt.

Side boxes - I am attaching some pics of Maharatha and am also interested to have a pair of side boxes as in the attached picture.
View attachment 451202

Here is a video of both my Athiratha and Maharatha firing.
[video=youtube_share;wRU_ox9kklQ]http://youtu.be/wRU_ox9kklQ[/video]

Note the silencer on Athiratha, after i installed that i had at-least a few hundred people asking is this Bullet modified? I had to tell them showing my engine that it is Yamaha Enticer, a 125cc bike which is 1/3rd the capacity of lowest running bullet. was funny but the silencer did fool even few cops. they used to stop all the vehicles but not mine, Infact they used to give way for me while catching vehicle ahead and behind me.

When the time comes to change the exhaust of B5 i would definitely try this exhaust once before going to the ones like goldstar or indori etc etc. I believe it is a worth try. if anyone of you have such experience with non standard options i will be happy to know your experiences.

Highest speeds ever reached on 5th gear = lowest speed ever reached on fifth gear = 55kmph
I guess you meant :

Highest speeds ever reached on 4th gear = lowest speed ever reached on 5th gear = 55kmph

I believe it is a worth try. if anyone of you have such experience with non standard options i will be happy to know your experiences.
Which silencer is that one on your Enticer (youtube does not open in office, so could not see it) and is that with Glass-wool or has just baffles

No no. I ment 5th gear both the times. Controling urge to ripp.

And i do not know the model or make of silencer on enticer. But is is made of thick aluminium and has several concentric aluminium tubes inside. All those tubes inside have perforation just like peg board and the mechanic cutoff the stock silencer and welded a threaded nipple to the open bend pipe end. Now this silencer fits to the steel pipe by thread system . Just have to twist the silencer tight to fit it.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess you meant :

Highest speeds ever reached on 4th gear = lowest speed ever reached on 5th gear = 55kmph

Which silencer is that one on your Enticer (youtube does not open in office, so could not see it) and is that with Glass-wool or has just baffles

Here is the picture of the silencer. Sorry the bike is pretty soily due to the wet road conditions. but i had to grab some pics in my busy schedule though.
20131107_215944.jpg

Finished first free servicing. Total cost 950 rupees + 50 Rupees for a coat of chain lube.
Minor vibrations observed post servicing but not so much so that my teeth Jarr. Ya by the way i forgot to tell, my dealer took 800 rupees extra while delivering and promised 3 coats of teflon in first 3 service. earlier before first service manual recomends a maximum speed on fifth gear as 50 which was almost impossible as lowest we could go on 5th gear was little over 50. I always used to hit 55 to 60ish. but since first is service over now i can feel bit relaxed to properly breakin the gears. manual permits us to hit speeds up to 80. this extra 30kmph gives my fast beating heart full of anxitey to relax a bit.

Pickup after 60 kmph in 5th gear is dyum good. it goes from 60 to 80 in no time I mean little less than a second or so. Now i am slowly exposing engine to 80 for a brief time and drop down riding bike in all possible speeds distributing the distances accross the speedo. Hope this makes the engine age well.

Now my priority is to breakin the gear box. after the first service project butter of gear box has become project rusk. well not always, but God, when it happens i have to almost dance on the liver to shift the gear.

In high speeds if for any reason i apply breaks and try to downshift, i get heavy chain rattling sound. Is that common?

And here are some of the snaps of the bike and tool set provided with it.
View attachment 453233
View attachment 453234

The tool bag can be tied up tidily and is pretty sturdy in holding all the tools provided in proper manner.
Bag-1.jpg

The bag itself is pretty ruggid and can withstand some brunt force. would have been better if it was water proof.
Bag-2.jpg

Open up the bag and here are the tools provided.
Bag 3.jpg

the spanners provided are both identical twins, I have no idea whi they have provided two identically sized tightners. would have been better if they had provided a 3 spanners 10/11, 13/14, 16/17 as most of the nuts on the bike are of this size.
2013-11-10_10-34-01_HDR-1.jpg

Quality of the metallic tools provided is below expectation. as you can see the tools have bad scars from the world war it fought with the tool bag.
Tool 1.jpg

The screw driver provided has a Philip head driver on one side and a flat head on the other. and the handle is made of a plastic!!!!! Yes plastic. The plastic is so soft that I could chew it off like chewing gum. The bore in which the driver must be inserted is also made of the same chewing gum plastic. i always believed it must have a metal lining inside. Even yo bike used to give handles with metal lining inside.
Screw driver handle.jpg

And finally all the tools have infact have bad scarring from the wars it fought with the bag.

Last edited: