Leh ladakh in early June 2017

Lakshay Goel

Hi everyone,
I am planning a trip to Leh ladakh in first half of June. Most probably around 9th June. We would most probably be two cars (duster and Brezza).
I have prepared a rough iitenary for now. I would really appreciate it if people could help me with finalizing it.
I am planning to go via srinagar as it won't require getting permit and provides better acclimatization.
Here's the iitenary:
Day 1. Delhi to jammu
Day 2. Jammu to sonmarg
Day 3. Sonmarg to kargil
Day 4. Kargil to Leh
Day 5. Leh to Nubra Valley
Day 6. Nubra to pangong tso via aghom Village and along Shyok river
Day 7. Pangong tso to leh
Day 8. Leh to tso moriri
Day 9. Tso moriri to Sarchu
Day 10. Sarchu to manali
Day 11. Manali to Delhi

Now I have certain questions :
1. I am wondering if it is a rushed iitenary.
2. Can someone please tell me the approximate driving time (not taking into account breaks but taking into account the road conditions) for each day that I have listed. That would help me decide.
3. Is Nubra to pangong tso along Shyok is doable?
4. Should I stay the night at Nubra or return same day to Leh? Then I could visit pangong tso via Leh rather than along Shyok river.
5. If I were to reduce a day in my iitenary should i skip Nubra valley all together to save a day. Is it worth visiting? Or I could skip tso moriri and do Leh to Manali in 2 days instead of three. Is tso moriri worth it?
6. If I were to choose between Nubra and tso moriri, which one should I skip and which one should I visit?
Your feedbacks would be really helpful.
Also if there are other people travelling on similar dates and similar iitenary, we would love to tag along our dates can be a bit flexible. A group Is always better.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
It is a rushed itinerary because you do not have any rest days. Driving each and every day gets tiring, especially at high altitude.

Driving time varies a lot, from person to person and then due to road factors. Expect to be on the road, pretty much the entire day, every day.

From Leh, you will need to get Inner Line Permit. This means either you get it in advance through a travel agent or a hotel, or you stay in Leh till 11 or noon (based on the rush), in order to get the permit, before proceeding to Nubra Valley.

Shyok route is doable, as long as there are no landslides.

Doing Leh – Nubra – Leh essentially means being on the road for 12 hours.

Nubra Valley is certainly worth visiting, so is Pangong Tso and Tso Moriri. At the end of the day, it comes down to a number of days you have in hand. You can’t cover each and everything in a single trip unless it is a month long! So you cover some on this trip, rest on the next one.

As for choosing between Nubra and Tso Morir. For most people, Khardung La is an important point to visit during the trip and it is en route to Nubra Valley.

Lakshay Goel

It is a rushed itinerary because you do not have any rest days. Driving each and every day gets tiring, especially at high altitude.

Driving time varies a lot, from person to person and then due to road factors. Expect to be on the road, pretty much the entire day, every day.

From Leh, you will need to get Inner Line Permit. This means either you get it in advance through a travel agent or a hotel, or you stay in Leh till 11 or noon (based on the rush), in order to get the permit, before proceeding to Nubra Valley.

Shyok route is doable, as long as there are no landslides.

Doing Leh – Nubra – Leh essentially means being on the road for 12 hours.

Nubra Valley is certainly worth visiting, so is Pangong Tso and Tso Moriri. At the end of the day, it comes down to a number of days you have in hand. You can’t cover each and everything in a single trip unless it is a month long! So you cover some on this trip, rest on the next one.

As for choosing between Nubra and Tso Morir. For most people, Khardung La is an important point to visit during the trip and it is en route to Nubra Valley.
Thanks a lot yogesh for the valuable feedback.
Alternatively I have prepared another iitenary as follows :
Day1: Delhi to jammu
Day2: jammu to sonmarg
Day3: sonamarg to kargil
Question 1- is there any place further from kargil in between kargil and leh where I could stay the night? So that the next day will have to cover less distance.
Day4: kargil to leh
Day5: leh (rest and explore)
Day6: leh to nubra valley
Day7: nubra Valley to pangong tso along shyok river
Day8: pangong tso to tso moriri via chushul
Question 2- I have my doubts regarding this route as it is very less traversed and not well maintained as to my knowledge. So would it be doable for a first timer to ladakh?
Day9: tso moriri to sarchu
Day10: sarchu to manali
Day11: manali to Delhi.

What do you think about this iitenary? Is it rushed?
Also since it is early June, what should I expect the condition of the roads to be? More slush and more water streams? Probably less landslide as compared to July?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Thanks a lot yogesh for the valuable feedback.
Alternatively I have prepared another iitenary as follows :
Day1: Delhi to jammu
Day2: jammu to sonmarg
Day3: sonamarg to kargil
Question 1- is there any place further from kargil in between kargil and leh where I could stay the night? So that the next day will have to cover less distance.
Day4: kargil to leh
Day5: leh (rest and explore)
Day6: leh to nubra valley
Day7: nubra Valley to pangong tso along shyok river
Day8: pangong tso to tso moriri via chushul
Question 2- I have my doubts regarding this route as it is very less traversed and not well maintained as to my knowledge. So would it be doable for a first timer to ladakh?
Day9: tso moriri to sarchu
Day10: sarchu to manali
Day11: manali to Delhi.

What do you think about this iitenary? Is it rushed?
Also since it is early June, what should I expect the condition of the roads to be? More slush and more water streams? Probably less landslide as compared to July?
It is better than your earlier itinerary, and although there will be days when you will be driving for 10 hours or more, it should be fine.

You can drive beyond Kargil and spend the night at Mulbek or Lamayuru or even at Uley. However, apart from Uley, rest of the places will only have basic and limited accommodation. Add to that, early in the season, traffic is only let through from Sonamarg side later in the day. So depending on the road condition at that time, you might reach Kargil by late in the evening. In which case, it would be a good idea to spend the night there.

Lukung onward, the road is essentially a dirt plus sand trail till Tsaga Village. Plus early in the season, it will have plenty of water crossings as well. So if you’re not careful, you can get stuck en route in sand. Rest depends on your driving skill and whether or not you’re comfortable driving on an off-road trail.

You will also need enough fuel for 740 km if you’re taking the Chushul route (after filling up at Diskit.)

Road condition early in the season is generally bad with more slush, narrow road due to snow and more water crossings. Landslides are always there and so are avalanches (if it snows when you’re there).