Lightroom related issues.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
I just don’t get why Lightroom is such pain when managing photos and yet gets rave reviews from photographers! If I manually copy photos from memory card to a new folder, even after synchronizing and displaying the latest photos, it fails to display the new folder. And at other times it displays the folder, but doesn’t display some of the photos in it! Bridge on the other hand is much easier and faster, but doesn’t let me open images in Lightroom for initial edit!

Anyone else facing similar issues?

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
I think you must have already tried this...
Right click on folder (in Library mode) -> press "Synchronize folder" -> "import"
This works for me...

PS: How about a dedicated thread for LR/PS/ etc queries... I too have a few and dont want to hijack this thread...
Ques: How to use multiple export presets at once? that is ; one export for FB, one for BCMT etc???

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
Today I also faced this problem of not syncing properly. New folders and images were not getting displayed after syncing..
Finally had a to make a new Catalog to get things right!! seems old catalog got corrupted...

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Well I have started importing using Lightroom and due to it, there isn’t any issue. Plus if I need to browse quickly, I just use bridge.

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
You mean you do not copy folder to computer from MMC using windows? And instead directly import using LR?
Never done so. Does it ask where to copy the files on windows location?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Yes and you can specify folder as well as other settings. It is a pain to setup initially, since it ends up making subfolders, if you aren’t careful, but once you learn it, it is quite easy. Only problem is, file copy through it is comparatively slower.

sumitro_d

Super User
Let this thread be a dedicated LR thread,after using few days picasa,I'm finding LR is much better rather than PS which is Hebrew to me :p

hensil

Guru
Hi Yogesh,
LR gets rave review because it is the best in business. Believe me, I had the similar issues initially and they were all due to my lack of understanding the software.
You can set up LR import of pictures in several ways. You can Copy, Move or Add. Use Copy if you are importing directly from the card, use Move or Add if your are importing from within your computer folder. The Source is on the left and the Destination is on the right of the interface. You can select import from and to just from this left and right pane.
My set-up goes this way. I have a dedicated external hard-drive for Lightroom pictures. There are only 2 folders in the HD, one for the pictures and the other for Catalogue, data base, thumb nails etc. I have set-up to make a back-up of the Catalogue in my internal/separate HD. I usually make a back-up of all my pictures in another external HD. The LR is set-up to import pictures according to date. This way LR always makes folders according to the picture date and place the pictures in them. For e.g the folder are, Lightroom Pictures/2014,October21/. This structure will be seen in the Library mode left pane after the import of the pictures.
But one important thing, I have set-up to tag the pictures with My Copyright and general info while importing and also assign few generic key words like India, Ladakh/Delhi/Mumbai. Latter after import, in the Library I'll assign more key words like name, portrait, location, type of shoot, as many key words as possible. This will make life easier to search them quickly. In fact, I have already made folders with appropriate key word. I just drag the pictures into this folder to assign the key word to them.
You'll need some basic understanding of the software and then go into advance mode. There are plenty tutorials available on line.
Note: Even though I have 4TB of raid set-up in my work station I have maintained a separate HD for LR. This is because I can make a back-up of the HD easily and also work on any computer with the HD.
Henry

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Isn’t external HDD slow for working with images, especially if you use Photoshop and layers?

I have been setting up folders in following style for a long time now /yyyy-mm-dd-project-name/. However I haven’t yet started using keywords and copyright info is in my cameras, though I have now setup Lightroom to embed a more detailed notice in photos while importing them.

hensil

Guru
Isn’t external HDD slow for working with images, especially if you use Photoshop and layers?

I have been setting up folders in following style for a long time now /yyyy-mm-dd-project-name/. However I haven’t yet started using keywords and copyright info is in my cameras, though I have now setup Lightroom to embed a more detailed notice in photos while importing them.
No, its not slow. You see, the trick is to use a fast drive/SSD (make a separate folder) for cache files. Once you open a file in PS or LR it use the RAM and cache files and if this is big and fast enough, your processing will be fast. I never have issue of slow down unless I am using more than 50-100 layers in PS. (Combining star trail shots). By the way I have the cache folder on the raid on my pc.
You have to set up the copyright information just once and then just forget about it. It will do its work.
Start using the keywords now by setting up little time before its too late and too many pictures. Get used to assigning star rating and color coding. Then you can use smart folder to separate them. LR is really wonderful.
Henry