Lightroom Vs. Adobe Camera Raw

asheshr

Super User
Lightroom and Adobe camera raw on the face both have the same set of tools.
Are both set of tools equal? Experts please comment.

What is the main difference between the two?

Thanks

Last edited:

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
As per my understanding , Lightroom is optimized for complete Photography workflow and organizing large amount of pictures. Editing wise both are almost same.

HighwayRanger

I have not used Lightroom. I think the question should be Lightroom vs Photoshop. I think Adobe Camera Raw is the common interface for both the software to process the Raw. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
I have not used Lightroom. I think the question should be Lightroom vs Photoshop. I think Adobe Camera Raw is the common interface for both the software to process the Raw. Please correct me if I am wrong.
No, camera raw is not common interface. Lightroom is capable of running a complete image processing program (with editing , presets, tagging, catalogs, saving the changes etc)
You may achieve the same edits in lightroom and ACR though.

hensil

Guru
Yes, you are correct. They have the same raw processing tools.
However, LR has digital asset management where as Photoshop does not but PS can do edit/composite/graphics and much more and works exclusively on bitmap files.
Henry

HighwayRanger

Yes, you are correct. They have the same raw processing tools.
True. That is why I felt that the opening post should have been Lightroom vs Photoshop rather than Lightroom vs Camera Raw.

However, LR has digital asset management where as Photoshop does not but PS can do edit/composite/graphics and much more and works exclusively on bitmap files.
Henry
As you said, Lightroom is more photographer friendly in organizing photos and similar tasks. I have been a Photoshop user since 1990, starting with version 3. So I feel comfortable with Photoshop and am used to the tools and controls of Photoshop. Now that Bridge is also added to Photoshop, makes it easy for me. Of course I manually organize my files.

iamsomnath

Where is the remote?
In my book , Lightroom is the sexy little secretary who was first recruited for filing but now she is providing all sorts of services ( wink wink ). Photoshop is the older squeeze but doesn't get it often enough these days , we all prefer something newer and slimmer don't we ( wink wink wink wink)?

hensil

Guru
True. That is why I felt that the opening post should have been Lightroom vs Photoshop rather than Lightroom vs Camera Raw.

As you said, Lightroom is more photographer friendly in organizing photos and similar tasks. I have been a Photoshop user since 1990, starting with version 3. So I feel comfortable with Photoshop and am used to the tools and controls of Photoshop. Now that Bridge is also added to Photoshop, makes it easy for me. Of course I manually organize my files.
In my book , Lightroom is the sexy little secretary who was first recruited for filing but now she is providing all sorts of services ( wink wink ). Photoshop is the older squeeze but doesn't get it often enough these days , we all prefer something newer and slimmer don't we ( wink wink wink wink)?
There was a time when I was preparing to appear for Adobe Photoshop Certified Trainer's exam. I used PS a plenty for my video work.
Then came along Lightroom and also at the same time video editing software's improved. Adobe After Effect was very unstable in the beginning but now it's quite good, so good that that it has killed many high end composting software. Also the Premier pro very good.
These days I hardly go to Photoshop for my still photography as Lightroom does 95% of the job. For video I never use PS.
Henry
PS: I have tried Capture One Pro recently and liked it a lot. Once I get a hang of it, I may abandon Lightroom. I hate Adobe's subscription business.