List of Hotels and Guest Houses in Ladakh

Admin01

Administrator
Wonderful update Yogesh, thanks.

One question i have in mind. How much of this is actually in implementation?

For example I recently booked Sia-la guest house for Rs 1200 double room (without meals) but in the pdf it is listed under Economy guest house which is eligible to max charge Rs. 550. To top that there is 25% discount during lean season applicable till April 30th.
It doesn’t includes taxes or for that matter heating and charges. Having said that, most guest houses charge tariff which is higher than the prescribed one, so I would treat the rate list more as a reference point, rather than a hard and fast rule. It is always best to contact the hotel and negotiate beforehand.

Guest Houses in smaller areas normally abide by the rules (at least from what I have seen).

asheshb

Perfection, is it worth?
It doesn’t includes taxes or for that matter heating and charges. Having said that, most guest houses charge tariff which is higher than the prescribed one, so I would treat the rate list more as a reference point, rather than a hard and fast rule. It is always best to contact the hotel and negotiate beforehand.

Guest Houses in smaller areas normally abide by the rules (at least from what I have seen).
Thanks for the quick reply Yogesh. Right, I overlooked the taxes but I am not sure if taxes would make 100% of the list price since most of the guest houses are charging double the price mentioned in list. As such to me this seems to be a futile attempt of the govt. :

#1 The categories are no way guarantee of the quality of services as many of the Economy guest houses are rated much above all.
#2 The rates printed are no where what is being actually charged so it's more confusion rather help. If they update this every year what in the God's name stop them putting the numbers for taxes etc. to give a more realistic figure?

Admin01

Administrator
In a country where vested interests decided which taxi union can ply on which route, you really believe these things would be anything more than recommendation?

Having said that, Sia La does lists Rs. 1200 on their website, so I guess it is season rate and on the spot bargaining should be able to get you a discount on that.

asheshb

Perfection, is it worth?
In a country where vested interests decided which taxi union can ply on which route, you really believe these things would be anything more than recommendation?

Having said that, Sia La does lists Rs. 1200 on their website, so I guess it is season rate and on the spot bargaining should be able to get you a discount on that.
Never assumed this to be writing on stone. It's just that they have done it so neatly and systematically I thought there might be some sanity to it.

Also this would warn other fellow members who might go looking for things at this price :D

I am not into bargaining where I find the price reasonable. Live and let live. If they provide the service other people claim to it's a good price to pay for.

Admin01

Administrator
It is issued by the DC Office, so it has to be done neatly. Whether or not government policies are implemented on the ground is another question.

Having said that, quite a few guest houses have different types of rooms available. Oriental for example is classified as an A class hotel, yet charges less than 2012 rates for their deluxe rooms, while their basic room (shared toilet) begins from Rs. 250. While the charges on their site are likely old, but still it is way cheaper than even 2012 rates!

Admin01

Administrator
It is a classification Leh Administration does based on number of rooms, facilities etc. I am not aware of technical points of it.