List of things to carry for a winter trip to Ladakh

mohits_123

Hi Yogesh,

I m planning an trip to manali to Leh laddaakh, WHich time will be most suited for Travel. We want to start by the end of April or starting MAY?

Big Daddy

Super User
When driving around Leh area, it may be a good idea to carry shovel as well. I keep an emergency shovel in my car during winter times. You never know when your car may get stuck in snow. The one I have is very portable and comes apart so that it can fit in a bag pack for easy travel.
Shovel 1.JPG
Shovel 2.JPG
Shovel 3.JPG
Shovel 4.JPG

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Hi Yogesh,

I m planning an trip to manali to Leh laddaakh, WHich time will be most suited for Travel. We want to start by the end of April or starting MAY?
Answered your query here 2018 Srinagar-Leh Road Status

When driving around Leh area, it may be a good idea to carry shovel as well. I keep an emergency shovel in my car during winter times. You never know when your car may get stuck in snow. The one I have is very portable and comes apart so that it can fit in a bag pack for easy travel.
View attachment 743835 View attachment 743836 View attachment 743837 View attachment 743838
Taxi drivers in Ladakh normally have it. You can't drive a car at that time, since Ladakh is cut off from rest of India by road and self-drive cars aren't available.

Big Daddy

Super User
I will make a few American English corrections just to avoid confusion.

Torch= Flash Light
Self Drive= Rentals

If people did not know these words they will interpret Torch= Mashal (something people carry in racist KKK rallies) and Self Drive as cars that drive themselves (tested all over the US and technology that is new). Flash light may sound funny to Indians because to them it only means camara flash.

Carry torch and mustard oil vs. carry flash light and moisturizer are same things, but if you do not know the difference in English language version used, you might think differently.

Last edited: