Mahindra XUV 500 to get 160 mm ground clearance

SHEKHAR 257

Be a Good person but Don't try to Prove.
Just read an article in today's TOI that Mahindra has decided to reduce ground clearance of XUV 500 from present 200 mm to 160 mm to get 3% excise benefit.
The price will go down between Rs. 27000/- to Rs. 33000/- .
will you still buy XUV?

- - - Updated - - -

Asked whether the lower ground clearance will compromise the vehicle's performance as an off-roader, Pawan Goenka said that the company had added a stone guard under the engine to protect from uneven roads. " I am not happy about doing this, but we had to it as the higher price due to the increased duty was hitting our potential customers. "
The union government has announced in the union budget earlier this year that SUVs having engine capacity of over 1500 CC & ground clearance above 170 mm will have to pay an excise duty of 30% against 27% before.

Last edited:

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
I read it yesterday on internet.

It is not still clear that whether they have reduced overall GC, or just added a stone-guard under engine to 'earn' that coveted 160mm GC?! :confused:

SHEKHAR 257

I read it yesterday on internet.

It is not still clear that whether they have reduced overall GC, or just added a stone-guard under engine to 'earn' that coveted 160mm GC?! :confused:
They have reduced overall GC, added "stone guard" for protection purpose only.
Does some one minds 20K or 30K while spending 12 Lacs. I can't understand.:(

mgdelhi

Well, they might have added a "removable" stone guard to save 3%.

They can not say that officially "Dear buyer, get the stone guard removed at your convenience to increase GC." but it seems so. :)

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
I'm wondering what a true GC accounts for?

As per the Indian measuring system, the GC of a vehicle is the lowest hanging point from the ground. Thus it can easily be lowered by making something bulge out from underbody as the most lowest point. So if a manufacturer keeps 200mm GC intact and introduces some engine guard, etc. with a clearance of say 170mm. Owners can remove it later on!
Is this a violation?!

As per some websites, M&M used the European ARC method of calculating the GC which gives a figure of 200mm which looks good in specs. If they had used the Indian method, the GC would have been only 170mm...!!! So now, as per the Indian regulations XUV is not violating the recently changed norms and complies with the limit of 170mm. They simply added a stone guard just to be sure of no violation in terms of some now-precious MMs.

IMO, buyers can remove the stone guard if they wish to, and they have their XUV as original as it was launched... but at a reduced price! :)

Any comments?!

akshay4384

THE LONE RIDER
GC is measured from the lowest part on the underbody,Mahindra has played smart and added a stone guard at 160mm from the ground,so the overall vehicle still remains the same.
And pretty sure this guard would be easily removable,so all speculations can lay to rest,and prospective buyers should be happy to save at least some money on it.

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
Somehow I feel that it's ES effect... the EcoSport one! :grin:

Any idea what method Ford has used to calculate the EcoSport's GC?
Standard Indian method or European ARC method??! :p

SHEKHAR 257

GC is measured from the lowest part on the underbody,Mahindra has played smart and added a stone guard at 160mm from the ground,so the overall vehicle still remains the same.
And pretty sure this guard would be easily removable,so all speculations can lay to rest,and prospective buyers should be happy to save at least some money on it.
I wish that you are true but I felt otherwise after reading the article. Lets see what happens.

akshay4384

THE LONE RIDER
Somehow I feel that it's ES effect... the EcoSport one! :grin:

Any idea what method Ford has used to calculate the EcoSport's GC?
Standard Indian method or European ARC method??! :p
No its not the ES effect,its due to some stupid taxation rule passed by the government that says any vehicle above 1500cc and 170mm GC is a SUV.
So now SX4 VVT is a SUV :grin:

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
No its not the ES effect,its due to some stupid taxation rule passed by the government that says any vehicle above 1500cc and 170mm GC is a SUV.
So now SX4 VVT is a SUV :grin:
That I know.
How can you forget that everything is saleable here... and everyone is on sale!
Is it that tough to get a stupid/silly rule pass in hands of our govt.?! M&M is a big group with decent repo and financial strength. ;)