MakeMyTrip jacks up hotel tariff

BenHur

I thought that online travel aggregators like MakeMyTrip earn profit on margins offered by the seller side (hoteliers/airlines). I was proved wrong recently, and learned it in a hard way.

I booked a property at Krishnagiri via MMT. MMT offered an Executive AC room at Rs2,727, after a Rs.621 discount.

At Hotel reception, guys were shocked on seeing the price at which MMT offered the room, as hotel's room tariff is 1,750, which with an 18% tax would come to ~Rs.2,100.

Hotelier confirmed that, they never agreed any aggregators to jack up prices by 81%.

So next time, better check the tariff at hotel website, before going ahead with a booking on MMT.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-YWy9n7ZgqChWTeyL.jpg

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
I have sort of seen this as well, especially in case of hotels in Ladakh and most of the sites are doing this.

Things are same when it comes to ordering food through apps. If you order directly, even without the discount these apps are offering, it is actually cheaper! So I stopped using these apps to order food and now order directly. I guess I will now have to do the same with hotels as well.

Alpha

Going to Neverland
this is the sign of things to come..we will be getting more dependent on these sort of apps and they will take us for a royal ride all the time.. travel, food, shopping - everywhere this has started to happen

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
For most of the time, hotels can be easily booked on the spot and I prefer that only.

Even in case of flights, MMT has the highest price.
True, but for those heading to a new place and that too with family, at times it is a good idea to book in advance. Add to that, during peak season, it is always a good idea to book.

At least in case of flights we can check with the airline for the rate and compare it with others. In case of hotels, most often than not, they aren't listed on multiple websites.

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
It is hardly a guess anymore that why so many MMT kinda websites have cropped up in last few years.

Safest bet is to shortlist few hotels online by applying as many coupons/deals/other lures, and then try negotiating with hotel directly.
In many instances, hotels had some vacant rooms but MMT was showing them as full.

BenHur

True, but for those heading to a new place and that too with family, at times it is a good idea to book in advance. Add to that, during peak season, it is always a good idea to book.

At least in case of flights we can check with the airline for the rate and compare it with others. In case of hotels, most often than not, they aren't listed on multiple websites.
Absolutely. In my case we were on road around 7 in the evening, Bangalore was some 100 odd kms away, which would have taken another three hours of driving in peak hour traffic. So the decision was to book stay at nearest town (Krishnagiri) at the earliest.

nadz11.ns

Super User

True, bookings in peak season are difficult. That's why I said most of the time.

In the end, it comes down to customer awareness and how much they are willing to research for a hotel/place/price.

adsatinder

explorer
I have seen this on other shopping websites too.
As they want to show they are giving better deals.

Last edited: