MakeMyTrip jacks up hotel tariff

Dry Ice

Hotelier confirmed that, they never agreed any aggregators to jack up prices by 81%.
So next time, better check the tariff at hotel website, before going ahead with a booking on MMT.
Unfortunate! But when one is pressed for time, these things can happen. I would say it wasn't such a bad experience, but yes, something to learn from!

this is the sign of things to come..we will be getting more dependent on these sort of apps and they will take us for a royal ride all the time.. travel, food, shopping - everywhere this has started to happen
True. But then, since the entry barrier is low - there are new entrants regularly, so they cannot really get to a monopolistic situation. As soon as consolidation happens, you are sure to find a new comer who will drive the prices down to saner levels.

Safest bet is to shortlist few hotels online by applying as many coupons/deals/other lures, and then try negotiating with hotel directly.
Well said! That is something I follow to the T. Never book a place where you cannot talk to the person at the front desk. All these websites/apps/travel companies add an unnecessary layer between you and the property increasing chances of confusion. Deal with the hotel directly and cut them out.

Had a bad experience the only time I decided to overlook this rule of mine. I tried to book a hotel in Chakrata, Uttarakhand through someone who was in Delhi. Even in that case, I was not really convinced and thus did not pay any advance. Once at the spot, simply walked away since I did not like it. Managed to find a good place in about an hour's time.

BenHur

Friends,

An update on this. MMT has given me a refund on this.

The refund could be attributed to, me raising this issue, when a Twitter user had a similar experience involving MMT and RadissonBlu.

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
I called Hotel Bhawani International in Katra-Jammu in person for booking a room. The quoted 950. I booked it on MakeMyTrip for 891.

Although MMT was showing it for 762 on first page without login. After logging-in and applying certain discounts + wallet money etc. it finally got booked for 891 rupees.

Now I am checking it, and the same last room is available for 1044 to me. :D

omega

Hotel room pricing is a very flexible and negotiable thing, so blaming apps here may not be appropriate. Its the price vs convenience payoff. Bookmyshow charges so much extra over window prices, yet its a thriving business.

SachinOnTop

Full Use Else Lose
@omega :
I agree, but our concern is that hotel apps and websites are changing their prices dynamically where price difference within few minutes can be a deal breaker.

After logging in, for example, I am getting a room for Rs. 1000. I didn't purchased it then and tried after say 15 minutes. The price will, usually it happens, increase to say 1100 or 1200. Logout, and try again, price will be different. :)

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Hotel room pricing is a very flexible and negotiable thing, so blaming apps here may not be appropriate. Its the price vs convenience payoff. Bookmyshow charges so much extra over window prices, yet its a thriving business.
Fact of the matter is, travel agents and booking sites get rack rates from the hoteliers i.e. a discount ranging from 15-40% of the listed rate, depending on the number of room nights they are buying in a year. These are pre-negotiated and aren’t really dynamic, at least not in the case of traditional travel agents.

Booking sites charge what they want to, based on how much competition is there in the market. Since there have been acquisitions off late and no new disruptive player has come to the market, they are trying to milk the customer, charging higher than what the hotel’s listed rate is.

citylife

I book twice every year Sarovar Portico, Badrinath - in may/june and Oct. MMT has always offered cheaper than booking directly, sometimes with free breakfast. However, these sites do not offer booking of 4 bedded rooms or family rooms - when i have no choice except booking directly. This year seems to be mega-rush on for Badri-Kedar circuit as whole May and most of June is alraedy sold out.