Manas National Park - The Saga of Tusks, Horns and Bills

Shantanu Roy

Manas National Park or Manas Wildlife Sanctuary is a National Park, UNESCO Natural World Heritage site, a Project Tiger Reserve, an Elephant Reserve and a Biosphere Reserve in Assam. Located in the Himalayan foothills, it is contiguous with the Royal Manas National Park in Bhutan. The park is known for its rare and endangered endemic wildlife such as the Assam Roofed Turtle, Hispid Hare, Golden Langur and Pygmy Hog. Manas is famous for its population of the Wild water buffalo.

The name of the park is originated from the Manas River, which is named after the serpent goddess Manasa. The Manas River is a major tributary of Brahmaputra River, which passes through the heart of the national park.

The sanctuary has recorded 55 species of mammals, 380 species of birds, 50 of reptiles, and 3 species of amphibians. Out of these wildlife, 21 mammals are India’s Schedule I mammals and 31 of them are threatened.

The fauna of the sanctuary include Asian Elephants, Indian Rhinoceros, Gaurs, Asian Water Buffaloes, Barasingha, Indian Tigers, Leopards, Clouded Leopards, Asian golden cat, Capped Langurs, Golden Langurs, Assamese Macaques, Slow Loris, Hoolock Gibbons, Smooth-coated Otters, Sloth Bears, Barking Deer, Hog Deer, Black Panther, Sambar Deer and Chital.

Manas have the largest population of endangered Bengal Florican. The major other birds includes Giant Hornbills, Jungle Fowls, Bulbuls, Brahminy Ducks, Kalij Pheasants, Egrets, Pelicans, Fishing Eagles, Serpent Eagles, Falcons, Scarlet Minivets, Bee-Eaters, Magpie Robins, Pied Hornbills, Grey Hornbills, Mergansers, Harriers, Ospreys and Herons.
(Information courtesy-Wikipedia)

Planning and research work was on for this for the last two months. The final itinerary looked somewhat like this:-

Board 12345 Saraighat Express from Howrah,Kolkata
Reach New Bongaigaon in the Morning,
Meet our local co-ordinator
Check in to a hotel in Bansberi near the Forest gate.
Elephant Safari at 6 am
Transport to the Mathanguri Forest lodge
Evening Jeep Safari
Morning Jeep Safari
Evening Jeep Safari
Early morning Nature walk
Check out and transport to New Bongaigaon
Board 12346 Saraighat Express from New Bongaigaon
Reach Kolkata

On the 15th evening (the train was delayed by almost 3 hours) we started our Journey.
Before I proceed further with the chronicle, in the true BCMT style, I want to present before you few teasers.
This journey will take you through some...

Ancient Rusticity
IMG_0909.jpg

Modern Conflicts
IMG_0921.jpg

and some

Glorious Beauties
HORN1.jpg

To be continued....

Last edited:

mithun123

Manas , has always been in my wishlist. Tried a few times However could not make it ever. Great teaser pics and great start , glued to this thread.

lmsnegi

i was in assam in between 1982-85, visited manas once,
nice images, keep pouring
regards,
dr.(major) lms negi

sanuroxz

Super User
Great teaser .. Dada

waiting for the next
Just a small question?
How many days should justify Manasa?

Shantanu Roy

i was in assam in between 1982-85, visited manas once,
nice images, keep pouring
regards,
dr.(major) lms negi
Thanks Major.
I heard that Manas was in its prime in the early 80's.It was declared a World Heritage site in December 1985 by UNESCO.After that due to the terrorist activities and heavy poaching , beyond any control, contributed to its being declared as a world heritage site in danger .Thankfully On 21 June 2011, it was removed from the List of World Heritage in Danger and was commended for its efforts in preservation.

Great teaser .. Dada

waiting for the next
Just a small question?
How many days should justify Manasa?
Thanks sanuroxz . I think 3-4 days should be perfect for a person with regular tourist interest.

Shantanu Roy

Dada how touristy is the place?
Do i need to book for hotels prior visiting
Tourism is little under developed in this place.
Hotels are generally available without prior booking. But Mathanguri forest lodge need to be booked at least two moths prior, through the forest department.

sanuroxz

Super User
Excellent.

What is the mode of transport from New Bongaigaon for a Solo traveler?

Last edited: