Mangalore Mumbai bus journey experience

Discussion in 'Buses and Taxis in India' started by r rayaru, Jun 26, 2014.

1. r rayaru

r rayaru Member

Hi,
    My greetings to all, since being a new entrant to BCM touring, this is my second thread that I am starting, of my journey experience in a Mangalore Mumbai bus.
    Date of Journey - May 25th 2014,
    Bus - Canara travels non a/c,
    Boardind point - Bharat petroleum outlet, Falnir Mangalore,
    From - Mangalore
    To - Pune [ Wakad Bhumkar chowk, near Ginger hotel ],
    Time - 12:00pm.
    Ticket price - 1400 /-.

I had already traveled by Canara twice before, in May 2013 and July 2013, though they had run an old bus last year in May 2013 numbered KA -19 C 513, I got an opportunity to travel in their new bus numbered KA -19 AA 216, in July 2013, in both the previous journeys, i was satisfied with their service. This time I booked my ticket on 23rd May 2014 at their office at Milagres cross road, and i wanted to travel by their another new bus numbered 207, I had seen this bus, at wakad twice heading to Mangalore, whatever the no, it wouldn't have made much of a difference to me, as service is of top priority for any passenger, so my date of journey is 25th may 14, I come at the boarding point, as the operator had told me to be present there before 12:00 pm, i reach Falnir pump at 11:50am. I already find two Canara's waiting there, and one Pinto. Finally the person who booked my ticket arrives at the venue, he directs me to bus numbered 207, I finally got the 207 no, in which I wanted to travel. And i get into that 207 numbered bus, cleanliness or maintenance issue did not arise at all as it is a AA series,
    numbered bus, a new one. I find the driver, i asked him in kannada at what time would it reach wakad, he responded by talking in tulu, I was taken aback as I don't know tulu language, but whatever he spoke in a few seconds, the only word I was able to catch was traffic, and I came to know he meant cannot say depends
    on traffic. So finally I get to my seat, second last a window seat, there is ample leg room. The bus finally leaves Falnir at 12:30 pm, stops at several pick points on the way, the bus reaches Udupi at 2:20pm and stops for tea break. I find other buses there, two Vishal buses, Sagar, Sheethal, the bus leaves Udupi after a 15min stop, It stops for several pickups on the way. The road conditions from Mangalore to Ankola has improved. By 6:40pm I am already on Yellapur - Kalghatgi road and finally the driver stops at hotel New Ashwas at 7:00pm, this hotel has shifted from its previous venue,after 15-20min halt it leaves, as the bus approaches arbail ghat it slows down, as there is traffic in ghat section, normally they don't play video after Ankola but this crew played the movie " 2 states" well almost upto Yellapur the video quality was average. The driving was good, no rash at all, no sudden braking, the bus reached Wakad by early morning 5 am. Canara were good at service again, I hope that they start Volvo services between Mumbai and Mangalore. I have uploaded some of the photos taken during journey.
    P1152_25-05-14.jpg
    Canara travels
    P1156_25-05-14.jpg
    Canara Travels, Mumbai - Mangalore
    P1203_25-05-14.jpg
    Canara Travels Mumbai - Mangalore
    P1205_25-05-14.jpg
    P1434_25-05-14.jpg
    Tea break at Udupi
    P1813_25-05-14.jpg
    Vishal overtakes
    P1845_25-05-14.jpg
    towards Yellapur
    P1903_25-05-14.jpg
    At Hotel New Ashwas, Ankola

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  2. drvbs

drvbs Vagabonding 24*7

Hi [MENTION=39878]r rayaru[/MENTION] Welcome to this lovely forum bcmtouring :) The review was nice with crisp pics :) I did not know CANARA travels is different from CANARA PINTO Travels. The bus looks good and timings were decent for a non ac bus. I too have seen this CANARA Travels at Poona. Please be a regular contributor to this thread here - http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/buses-taxis-india-f38/volvo-b9r-t16688-2488/#post992507

3. r rayaru

r rayaru Member

Hi, [MENTION=27388]drvbs[/MENTION] thanks for your comments sir. Ofcourse I will be a regular contributor, will also be getting more inputs from you.:)

- - - Updated - - -

BUS - SAGAR travels
    Date of Journey - Aug 25th 2013,
    Boarding point - Milagres cross road, Hampankatta, Mangalore,
    Time - 12:30 pm,
    From - Mangalore
    To - Pune [ Wakad, Bhumkar chowk near Ginger hotel ]

My previous journey in Sagar was way back in Dec 2006, then an S - 700 sutlej built coach, was the make of every operator on Mbai - Mlore route, they stopped their services there after sometime, but started their services again in mid 2013, I had an opportunity to travel by this operator in Aug 2013, under Nityadar. Back then Canara Pinto buses did'nt have Nityadar name sticked out in front. I booked the ticket for this bus at Lobo travels office at Milagres cross road, I found out they have their own office on Balmatta road currently. Ticket price was then 800 /- being an off season month. I managed to get the front seat close to cabin.
    I arrived at the scheduled boarding venue at hampankatta at the assigned time. The bus arrived at 12:40, waited there for atleast 15 min as some cargo also had to be loaded. The bus was brand new, being an AA series Mangalore registered. I don't know whether this series has changed now. The bus was clean, and since I got the front seat, anyhow legroom is more. Another interesting point during my journey I found out that the driver in Blue t - shirt and Jeans, was a familiar face. I remembered him he was there during my earlier journey from Pune to Mangalore in a Canara Pinto non a/c bus, I just enquired about this with him and I was right, he told me he was working in Pinto earlier. A coincidence that both Sagar and Pinto have the same sticker "Nityadar" sticked on their buses currently. The journey was overall good, the quality of video that was played was also very good. I have uploaded some of the photos taken during this journey. The bus reached Wakad at 5:30am morning.

12870336935_4da0c12311_o.jpg
    Sagar travels at Milagres cross road, Hampankatta.
    P1413_25-08-13.jpg
    tea break Udupi.
    14308549317_88c7966f49_b.jpg
    13087576964_43098f0488_o.jpg

P1949[01]_25-08-13.jpg
    At Ankola.

P1949_25-08-13.jpg
    Vishal just arrived after our bus.
    P0113_26-08-13.jpg
    SAGAR Nityadar Mumbai - Mangalore.

P0112_26-08-13.jpg
    At a fuel pump near Kolhapur.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  4. bus traveller

bus traveller Active Member

Nice review r rayaru. Nice pictures and the bus seems to be well maintained.
    I wonder why there are so many non ac buses to Mangalore compared to only one to Bangalore.

5. r rayaru

r rayaru Member

@ bus traveller thankyou sir:) in my opinion a major chunk of buses that ply on Mumbai - Bangalore route are mostly volvo's and Benz buses. Though Sharma and National run non a/c services too, but then volvo and benz buses outnumber non a/c buses on this route.

6. shenoyshrikants

shenoyshrikants Well-Known Member

[MENTION=39878]r rayaru[/MENTION] You see Nityadar sticker on both Sagar as well as CPT because Sagar travels now owns CPT (since more than a year now). As per takeover agreement, Sagar will retain the name Canara Pinto for the services. Also, it helps Sagar from branding perspective since CPT has made a name as a premuim operator on the route.

7. r rayaru

r rayaru Member

[MENTION=31335]shenoyshrikants[/MENTION] you have given me a very important info, I never knew that Sagar travels now owns CPT, I thought it was some sort of partnership business like, when CPT had Neeta name on volvo buses in 2011. It remains to be seen now whether Sagar starts Volvo bus service with their own Name.

8. Sach23

Sach23 Active Member

Hi welcome to the forum. Great reviews & pictures. I too have joined this forum some months back only & started it with my experience of my journey from Mang - Mumbai on Canara Pinto Volvo B9R.

It was very nice to read your journey experience with no-ac buses (Canara & Sagar). Canara have been there in this route form quite a long time now and doubt if they will be ever going for Volvo's considering they are happy with their 2 non-ac services. Sagar Travels on the other hand after taking over CPT already own Volvo's but under CPT name..so that is also a mystery.

Regarding CPT having Neeta name on volvo buses in 2011, I think at that time CPT had taken Volvo's on hire from Neeta which owned them & they had I supposed waiting for their new Volvo B9R's. They used to have B7R Volvos' which wee golden coloured and stickered with 'Gold Class'.

9. Roadhunk

Roadhunk MUSAFIR HU, PARYATAK NAHI

bro can u pls tell does CPT have its own set of volvo or not?

10. Sach23

Sach23 Active Member

Yes Brother, CPT has its own 4 B9R Volvos. 2 old ones & 2 new recently purchased ones. It also has non-ac & sleeper buses.