McCluskieganj - The Forgotten Anglo-Indian Hamlet

mousourik

Who Am I
Day 1 continued

Although we had our accommodation booked at Rana’s country cottage, we were asked to stay for one day at Gulmohor guesthouse nearby. However, we had a sumptuous lunch at Rana’s and went out in the afternoon to visit a couple of local spots. The first on the list was the McCluskieganj railway station. The Patratu thermal power station not being far away, many goods train carrying coal pass by, along with a few express trains and a couple of passenger trains.

P1050917-2.jpg

McCluskieganj boasts of a lot of hostels, as none of the numerous schools here does not have boarding facility.

Do they change lives? Really?

Next we visited Baxi bungalow, owned by some Anglo-Indians but changed hand later on. The actor Om Puri had stayed here during the shooting of the movie A death in the Gunj.

The bungalow is located right beside the railway track.

Krishna’s calf?

There is a watch tower in the middle of the town, although there is no proper road built to access it.

We had to do a short trek to reach it, and the vistas were rewarding.

Nakta hills

Mohua tree

But the best was kept for the last.

<< Previous Post

Next Post >>

Last edited:

gsarkhel

@mousourik You have shown us some hidden gems which is unknown to normal people like me. Enjoyed every bit.

The railway station is so beautiful and nostalgic. Took me back to my childhood days. :)
Railway.jpg

I think this the bungalow where not only Mr. Om Puri stayed but also the entire movie was shot around it. Not sure though.
baxihouse.jpg

subhankar paul

And miles to go before I sleep
@mousourik You have shown us some hidden gems which is unknown to normal people like me. Enjoyed every bit.

The railway station is so beautiful and nostalgic. Took me back to my childhood days. :)
View attachment 763102

I think this the bungalow where not only Mr. Om Puri stayed but also the entire movie was shot around it. Not sure though.
View attachment 763103
You are absolutely right. This bungalow was the principal location of the shooting of the Konkana Sen Sharma film.