Mid life blues - Our trip to ladakh on 2 wheels

smoothwanderer

9/09/2016
plan for the day - get permit for rohtang la and beyond & ride till jispa - distance 269 kms
we got up at 5 am sharp and hit the road by 6.30 am. the weather was sunny with no hint of what had happened yesterday. our aim was to get our hands on the permit. ramji, who is a perfectionist, had been reminding me a million times about it. probably he was more anxious than us as there is a law that forbids any vehicle more than 10 years old, plying beyond rohtang la and ladakh. his bike had celebrated its 10th birthday 3 months back.but our travel agent had reassured that she would some how get it done.we reached manali by 10 am. our agent asked us to wait near the market. we waited and waited until he gave us the permit by 11 am. ramji let out an air of relief & we were on the way.we stopped at a dhaba for breakfast.nearin manali we had to pay an environment tax at the checkpost. a lady came to us with some apples which
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG
she gave us for INR 50. oh! i had one there itself, it was large and juice was oozing out as we ate them. it was value for the money .

smoothwanderer

once we got the permit we immediately hit the road towards rohtang pass. we were stopped at a checkpost and our permits scrutinised. there a small kid and his father was impressed with suresh and his bike from kerala and wanted a snap with him and he obliged. we had 2 stops one for tea and the next for breakfast at some dabba. the road was good , with greenery on both sides.

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

arram

SW - You are absolutely right. Honestly, I was in a panic situation until we got the permits in our hand. However there are so many options available even if my permits are not thru, like hire one, or take another one from KL; I am happy as far as they issue permits even to people of 60 and beyond...\\:D/

smoothwanderer

from manali which is at 6400 feet its a steady climb to marhi at 10800 ft, the distance is 33 kms. from marhi to the rohtang top at 13060 feet,18kms, the ascend to the rohtang top was tough but the descent was tougher as there was no road at many places. we spent about half an hour at rohtang top. it was chilly and very windy up there but there was no trace of snow. in my 2013 trip it was snowing and there was lots of snow on rohtang top with skiing, snow scooters etc. it was very dry this time hence it was dusty. we also met the mallu bikers from chandigarh.

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG