Milky Way - Need Help

harmeet_delhi

Hi

I have been always fascinated by Milky way pictures.

I need some help, how and where can I click Milky way pics in india.

What kind of gear would u need bare minimum to click one.

Thanks
Harmeet Singh

hensil

Guru
Hi

I have been always fascinated by Milky way pictures.

I need some help, how and where can I click Milky way pics in india.

What kind of gear would u need bare minimum to click one.

Thanks
Harmeet Singh
The minimum gear you need is a sturdy tripod, a camera that can shoot long exposure and a fast lens of atleast f/4.
Regarding the milkyway, Tanveer may help you.
Henry

rkbharat

Guru
For the milkyway, ofcourse Tripod is must, , high ISO capability in camera, a wide angle, fast lens (fastest possible, F2.8 or more), remote.

Try to find the right focus point for star, generally its infinity but varies from lens to lens. On some lenses its just before infinity.

Keep aperture wide open, ISO around 2000 or 3000, Shutter speed should be below 25 second else you will see the trails.

I am using this method for quite some time now.

For the places, any hill area on a clear night should give you the view.

harmeet_delhi

Bharat

First of all your pics are amazing.

Second I have few queries
1. Can we see miklyway easily with naked eyes ?
2. To identify milyway in the sky do I need to look at any particular direction ?
3. What is the best time to see a clear milkyway, Time, Month, Year ?

Thanks
Harmeet Singh

Chetan Kulkarni

Super User
Bharat

First of all your pics are amazing.
+1 to that. Amazing pics

Second I have few queries
1. Can we see miklyway easily with naked eyes ?
2. To identify milyway in the sky do I need to look at any particular direction ?
3. What is the best time to see a clear milkyway, Time, Month, Year ?

Thanks
Harmeet Singh
1. Yes we can see milky way galaxy with naked eyes. At places where the weather is clean and light pollution is close to nothing the visibility is cleaner.
2. For locating the Milky Way you can use the Google Sky application on Android and locate the Orion nebula.
3. Clear weather is the best time for sighting. I have got images in September, March April. Basically avoid rains and cloudy weather.

A couple of bonus images :)

LightBeam.jpg

DinoEatsMilkyWay.jpg

harmeet_delhi

Chetan, Thanks for sharing the details. Great pics, I am looking forward to click few myself.

Do you know what time is Milkyway most visible, when I did a search somewhere it said 7p.m some people said 4a.m.. or is it visible every night and most of the time ?

Chetan Kulkarni

Super User
Chetan, Thanks for sharing the details. Great pics, I am looking forward to click few myself.

Do you know what time is Milkyway most visible, when I did a search somewhere it said 7p.m some people said 4a.m.. or is it visible every night and most of the time ?
The time of rise depends on the location. Where exactly will you be shooting from?

adsatinder

explorer
Great Milky Way.....................
Great Contributors..............
Great Effort...................
Great Captures...........