Minimum riding gear for Ladakh ride

tejasnikhar

Hello all,
I want to know what is the minimum riding gear required for a trip from Manali to Leh. I dont want to spend much on this as I am not a regular biker and if I buy all the stuff, when it will be used again. Also suggest any renting options are available for this. I am travelling to leh from 2nd Aug 2010. Please help me. Awaiting reply.

Dimitrz

Reclaim your life
Re: Welcome to Equipment for the rider/driver section

Hello all,
I want to know what is the minimum riding gear required for a trip from Manali to Leh. I dont want to spend much on this as I am not a regular biker and if I buy all the stuff, when it will be used again. Also suggest any renting options are available for this. I am travelling to leh from 2nd Aug 2010. Please help me. Awaiting reply.
well your query does not have an easy answer , different people will have different views on this

Anyway according to me this should do as minimum gear

1) good Knee guard

2) Good Elbow guard

3) Good helmet like AGV can be used later for daily use

4) Good saddle bag will give better balance and less inconvenience when compared to tying a big rucksack on back seat - because no matter how well you tie it will keep slipping and tighter you tie more difficult it will be to take it off at a moments notice especially when you are tired.

You may get away with normal fleece gloves instead of a proper riding gloves and a small backpack instead of a tank bag

Shoes anyways I really dont think is worth the money unless you are a hardcore biker.

alternatively you can go for
Riding gloves, Pants, jacket , saddle bag, tank bag and once your trip is over you may be able to sell it for half price that way you can recover half the money

tejasnikhar

Re: Welcome to Equipment for the rider/driver section

well your query does not have an easy answer , different people will have different views on this

Anyway according to me this should do as minimum gear

1) good Knee guard

2) Good Elbow guard

3) Good helmet like AGV can be used later for daily use

4) Good saddle bag will give better balance and less inconvenience when compared to tying a big rucksack on back seat - because no matter how well you tie it will keep slipping and tighter you tie more difficult it will be to take it off at a moments notice especially when you are tired.

You may get away with normal fleece gloves instead of a proper riding gloves and a small backpack instead of a tank bag

Shoes anyways I really dont think is worth the money unless you are a hardcore biker.

alternatively you can go for
Riding gloves, Pants, jacket , saddle bag, tank bag and once your trip is over you may be able to sell it for half price that way you can recover half the money
Hi Dimitrz,
Glad to see your reply. Actually I was thinking completely opposite of you.
1)I was thinking Knee and elbow guard are not that important as I will not be crossing the speed of 40/50 km/hr.

2)need water proof shoes as other boots could get wet while crossing wet areas and then the foot could get freezed later.

3)I already own a good quality Helmet and Gloves.

4) Didn't thought about this although I had done Mumbai-Goa and same difficulty was faced when we were tired. thanks for reminding it.

What is your take on number 1 and 2.Am I wrong on these points.

About Plan B

Do you know these kind of shops (In Delhi/Manali/Mumbai) where things are able to sell it back at half the price?

Thanking you again for your suggestions. Awaiting your's reply.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
While Dimitrz has said is quite good, it isn't the basic requirement, which is essentially limited to good quality helmet, air and waterproof warm gloves and riding jacket and good quality shoes.

Having said that, knee and elbow guards come in hand at even 20kmph, because you are landing on hard ground and can end up damaging your body and bones.

Dimitrz

Reclaim your life
Having said that, knee and elbow guards come in hand at even 20kmph, because you are landing on hard ground and can end up damaging your body and bones.
True just to add on even a small wound can end up ruining/ canceling your trip especially if the fall happens during the start - sometimes it can be because of our carelessness sometime because of others carelessness and sometimes due to nobody's carelessness :) fact is on journeys like this lot of things can go wrong and the only thing we can do is try to reduce the impact as much as possible to carry on with the trip.

To answer your Plan B you need to be really lucky to get these thing second hand especially with your trip so close - history has shown that we can get lot of gear be it riding/ photography and so on for half or throw away price when you DONT need it but when you need it nothing is to be found - for example I was planning a long drive and decided to start using gloves for protection during these rides and guess what neither Cramster or the local franchise has a stock of Twister in XL size :D and they wont have it till 20th of this month - virtually translates to the fact that I have to postpone my ride for next month then :)

still dont be discouraged roam about various biking forum and travel sites including your company community portal and you might get lucky - I dont think any dealer would rent these out and I wouldn't trust any rented protective gear other than a life jacket

Coming to your question

"1)I was thinking Knee and elbow guard are not that important as I will not be crossing the speed of 40/50 km/hr."

explained above plus if you are unlucky even a stationery fall on some hard gravel can do damage to your elbow knee making rest of your ride very uncomfortable- so a knee gaurd and elbow is pretty good- not to mention during accidents caused due to someone else fault

"2)need water proof shoes as other boots could get wet while crossing wet areas and then the foot could get freezed later"

Its my opinion that instead of spending thousands of rupees on a so called waterproof riding boot - (which may or may not keep your foot dry) its better to wear a good full anklet shoe like Leecooper - woodland ( though I hate woodland) some good thick shoes which will protect your feet in case of any accident and use a good boot cover to protect your foot from water - that would be cheaper and you can use the saved money for other riding gear like a good saddle bag

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
A woodland or similar style of shoe would never provide similar level of protection as a proper riding shoe! Heck I either fractured or tore a ligament (will never know what it was, since I never got it checked by a doc) in the thumb of my right side foot, while en route to Leh in 2006 and I had to do entire ride with that painful thumb and it was only 7-8months, did I managed to get full movement in it!

Woodlands have protected me in quite a few crashes, but that crash at 7-8kmph was enough to prove to me that these aren't really a substitute to proper riding boots.

Dimitrz

Reclaim your life
A woodland or similar style of shoe would never provide similar level of protection as a proper riding shoe! Heck I either fractured or tore a ligament (will never know what it was, since I never got it checked by a doc) in the thumb of my right side foot, while en route to Leh in 2006 and I had to do entire ride with that painful thumb and it was only 7-8months, did I managed to get full movement in it!

Woodlands have protected me in quite a few crashes, but that crash at 7-8kmph was enough to prove to me that these aren't really a substitute to proper riding boots.
True yogesh bhai - but dont you think for a onetime long tour person its a real big investment - though if he uses size 46 and puts the shoe up for sale for half price i'll be the first to buy :D but even for occasional long drives I really cant afford a shoe costing 10,000 bucks especially when I cant use it for anything else but biking .

Rather take that chance but then in life we cant protect our self from everything can we - despite an helmet and visor cricketers still do get hit on face quite badly when their time is not right :lol:

Last edited: