Minimum riding gear for Ladakh ride

anantkrishna

Kick Some Dirt !
A woodland or similar style of shoe would never provide similar level of protection as a proper riding shoe! Heck I either fractured or tore a ligament (will never know what it was, since I never got it checked by a doc) in the thumb of my right side foot, while en route to Leh in 2006 and I had to do entire ride with that painful thumb and it was only 7-8months, did I managed to get full movement in it!

Woodlands have protected me in quite a few crashes, but that crash at 7-8kmph was enough to prove to me that these aren't really a substitute to proper riding boots.
I completely agree on this, its very hard to explain someone the value of a 10K riding boot till the time they have a fall and end up breaking their ankles. Broken ankles take ages to heal and sometimes you will never get back the same range of movement ever.

I prefer not skimping on a 10K boot than spending 30K for a surgery and the added agony of hospital trips.
For waterproofing the boots I use this -
Tour Master Deluxe Boot Rain Covers - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

sandeep

More Journeys To Come
Cmon guys........I agree with u guys that u need proper protective gear but those who are not so hard core bikers and can't spare 10k just to buy gear then these "Desi Jugaads " are the best bet....
@animeher
U can buy these at any Surgical Equipment Shop in ur city Rs 50 per pair.....And
Yes they Give decent waterproofing...but no armoured protection and i never intended them to give me that protection.......

For Shoes go for army store.....for ankle protection go for shin guards( i know again people are gonna laugh but they are pretty good:):):D)

sandeep

More Journeys To Come
I completely agree on this, its very hard to explain someone the value of a 10K riding boot till the time they have a fall and end up breaking their ankles. Broken ankles take ages to heal and sometimes you will never get back the same range of movement ever.

I prefer not skimping on a 10K boot than spending 30K for a surgery and the added agony of hospital trips.
For waterproofing the boots I use this -
Tour Master Deluxe Boot Rain Covers - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore
Point well taken.... and with due respect to ur driving skills i would like to say that................ unless u have that kind of money to spare cant a person choose to drive slow and safe to avoid these kind of freak mishaps ....

asura

Point well taken.... and with due respect to ur driving skills i would like to say that................ unless u have that kind of money to spare cant a person choose to drive slow and safe to avoid these kind of freak mishaps ....
The word that you used " freak mishaps " is itself self explanatory I think.

Freak mishaps don't just happen when you're speeding or when you're not concentrating.They can happen while your standing still,or putting the bike on stand or someone can rear end you without warning.It doesn't have to be your mistake for a mishap to occur.You can try to be safe and slow but that doesn't guarantee that you will not make a mistake.After all you'll be covering long distances and some fatigue is bound to occur.

Here's one website offering cheap riding gear if you don't want to spend too much:

Raw Adventures - adventure in its purest form

Their jacket has been reviewed on another forum:

[xBhp Universal Thread]: Riding Gears - Page 307 - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community

Last edited: